Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And when this happens with cars (Autonomous Car)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I am not for it. Though there are some stupid drivers that need it.

It may (?) also help some 90-year old people still get around on their own who are not (yet) in assisted-living places, don't really need to be yet, but have lost enough driving skills over the years that they probably shouldn't be driving themselves any more. I wouldn't say they are "stupid drivers" in the sense you are probably using the term, just too old and weak to have the vision, hearing, skills, reaction-time, etc.....that one needs to be safe behind the wheel.

It will be forced upon us all when the time comes.
There are some things the government can force and some they can't. With this one, we'll have to want and see. For example, I still remember the 1974 fiasco when DOT tried to mandate the no-start rule for auto engines unless seat belts were fastened. It was a mess. Drivers found they couldn't start their cars if they laid heavy packages on the front seat with them (or even the rear seat) because the seat-sensors thought they were persons sitting down and needed to buckle-up. Some drivers were fastening belts around packages, boxes, bags, pets........you name it......just trying to get the engine to start. Others just kept the belts fastened all the time and sat on top of them, so the starter would work anytime, losing valuable restraint in an accident. The public outcry was so loud and so fierce that DOT was forced to rescind the regulation in only six months.....virtually unheard of for a Government bureaucracy.
Old 02-13-15, 07:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I am not for the electronics operating any thing the driver has hands or feet on and controls a car or truck with or an aircraft.
That's almost all modern commercial airliners. Off the top of my head:

Boeing
747-8

Airbus
A320
A330
A350
A380

These all have some or full fly by wire, and/or electronic/software engine controls, and autopilot software. Commercial aviation has gotten safer, not more dangerous, with these technologies.

Last edited by JDR76; 02-13-15 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

These all have some or full fly by wire, and electronic/software engine controls, and autopilot software. Commercial aviation has gotten safer, not more dangerous, with these technologies.
Not necessarily. Right now, as we speak, there is still an ongoing investigation into this latest crash in Southeast Asia as to whether the plane stalled in or near a thunderstorm, and if, during the stall, the computer did not disengage and/or allow the pilots to apply proper stall-recovery techniques (I am an ex-pilot myself). I won't comment any further, because the investigation is still ongoing.
Old 02-13-15, 09:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily. Right now, as we speak, there is still an ongoing investigation into this latest crash in Southeast Asia as to whether the plane stalled in or near a thunderstorm, and if, during the stall, the computer did not disengage and/or allow the pilots to apply proper stall-recovery techniques (I am an ex-pilot myself). I won't comment any further, because the investigation is still ongoing.
That's one incident. I stand by my comment. Statistically it's safer, not the other way around. Yes, incidents still happen, but in years past the incident rate was much higher.