Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
anyone seeing the lots of new commercials? pretty cool. and the car has kind of that low nimble look, harkening back to integra days...
Yes the original ILX went after the Verano (and possibly the Audi A3)......and never even came close in sales. This new line of ILX commercials seems to be going after potential Verano Turbo customers.
Old 03-19-15, 05:04 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Acura ILX Still Feels Cheap, Says Consumer Reports

Turning a regular car like the Honda Civic into a premium model is what Acura failed to do with the ILX, but the recent facelift has been described by the automaker as a massive improvement.

Consumer Reports’ Tom Mutchler begs to differ though, as the first drive of the 2016 Acura ILX didn’t impress him. He claims the refreshed ILX still feels cheap and unsubstantial for the price it commends – it starts from $30,820. The reviewer also says the 2016 ILX is not a premium-feeling car.

Most of the criticism regards the interior, which isn’t plush enough and features the confusing dual-screen infotainment system on higher trim levels. Mutchler also disliked the tight front head room.

There were also some things he liked about the 2016 Acura ILX, but not too many, as you can see in the video review that follows.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/201...heap-says.html
Old 03-19-15, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i usually have a lot of respect for Consumer Reports (and still do), but, IMO, this reviewer made two slip-ups. First, he said that Acura claimed a lower noise level for the ILX this year, but, (at least the way I heard it), did not say definitely whether the road/wind noise was quieter or not, except for the words "still felt cheap". Either it sounded quieter or it didn't......come out and say it. Second, in comparing it to the Verano, it is not a guzzied-up Cruze, and drives nothing like a Cruze. (I know...I've owned one almost 3 years).The Verano is actually a redone Opel Astra of German design (just like the Regal is a redone Opel Insignia), although the Cruze also has some (less-distinct) ties to the same Opel platform....and to some South Korean input.

And, to be fair...I want to make it clear I'm not tossing any stones. I sometimes make a mistake or typo in my own reviews, and accept constructive criticism of them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-15 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 09:23 AM
evident
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts

I think this is the first model where they made the beak look somewhat good.
Old 09-08-16, 04:03 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech-Centric Review Of New Acura ILX Doesn’t Make You Want To Buy One

The new Acura ILX doesn’t seem to be having an easy life as auto journalists keep pointing out its faults, instead of recommending you buy one.

They do all state it’s a good all-round car, and in being the smallest Acura you can buy it is an interesting buy.

According to CNET, whose review focuses on the in-car tech, it seems to be much the same story as before... The reviewer criticizes the cluttered dash with too many buttons and argues that he would need a manual to completely understand what each one does.

He also argues that the cabin is simply too noisy for the car to be considered ‘fully premium.’

However, you probably don’t buy a smaller Acura sedan looking for decadent luxury with lots of wood – you may be looking for one if you like your Honda but would like it to feel a bit more special.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/tec...acura-ilx.html
Old 09-08-16, 04:04 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Acura ILX On Sale From $27,990 [125 Images]

Acura has released pricing on its 2017 ILX, which adds nothing more than three new colors over the 2016MY.

These are the Lunar Silver Metallic, Modern Steel Metallic and San Marino red, which join the existing Bellanova White Pearl, Catalina Blue Pearl and Crystal Black Pearl.

Customers can pick from three grades, the standard ILX, ILX with Premium Package and range-topper ILX Tech Plus Package, with prices starting from $27,990 for the base model and topping out at $34,980 for the Tech Plus with the A-Spec Package that adds 18-inch alloys, front fog lights, sporty side sill garnishes, trunk spoiler and several unique interior touches.

All 2017 Acura ILX sedans are powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder producing 201HP, paired to an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with paddle-controlled Sequential Sport Shift.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/201...27990-125.html
Old 09-09-16, 12:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
Acura ILX tackles premium segment with self-driving tech - YouTube

The new Acura ILX doesn’t seem to be having an easy life as auto journalists keep pointing out its faults, instead of recommending you buy one.

They do all state it’s a good all-round car, and in being the smallest Acura you can buy it is an interesting buy.

According to CNET, whose review focuses on the in-car tech, it seems to be much the same story as before... The reviewer criticizes the cluttered dash with too many buttons and argues that he would need a manual to completely understand what each one does.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/tec...acura-ilx.html
I sat in a ILX at the dealership and could easily figure out all the buttons in less then 5 minutes, there are not even that many buttons. This CNET "journalist" has no business in his field if he can't figure out simple buttons in a car interior. I can't stand these mostly young "journalists" when dealing with car interiors who keep attacking physical buttons in cars and keep pushing for automakers to take away most or all physical buttons and switches for annoying needlessly more complicated touchscreens because it is trendy with smart phones. I tried the touchscreen interface in the MDX, RLX, and TLX and it is just 10 times worse then when they had physical buttons, why are car makers making it less intuitive and more complicated to use functions in cars these days when your eyes should be on the road more when driving, not less going through menu's and hoping you hit the screen in the right place and it functions the first time you touch it. .
Old 09-09-16, 09:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I sat in a ILX at the dealership and could easily figure out all the buttons in less then 5 minutes, there are not even that many buttons. This CNET "journalist" has no business in his field if he can't figure out simple buttons in a car interior. I can't stand these mostly young "journalists" when dealing with car interiors who keep attacking physical buttons in cars and keep pushing for automakers to take away most or all physical buttons and switches for annoying needlessly more complicated touchscreens because it is trendy with smart phones. I tried the touchscreen interface in the MDX, RLX, and TLX and it is just 10 times worse then when they had physical buttons, why are car makers making it less intuitive and more complicated to use functions in cars these days when your eyes should be on the road more when driving, not less going through menu's and hoping you hit the screen in the right place and it functions the first time you touch it. .
Just as we had in the 50's/early 60's the Jet Age styling, cars are now in the "smart phone age". Automakers are obsessed with making the dash operate(and look like) like your samsung galaxy or Iphone, with touch screens and minimal buttons. Its just that in a car you are supposed to look at the road, not the screen. In automotive applications, buttons, *****, and sliders make much more sense because you can operate them by muscle memory/feel without looking down.
Old 09-10-16, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just as we had in the 50's/early 60's the Jet Age styling, cars are now in the "smart phone age". Automakers are obsessed with making the dash operate(and look like) like your samsung galaxy or Iphone, with touch screens and minimal buttons. Its just that in a car you are supposed to look at the road, not the screen. In automotive applications, buttons, *****, and sliders make much more sense because you can operate them by muscle memory/feel without looking down.
I agree, but, the way things are going, cars themselves will soon be doing that LOL.

They already do, to some extent.
Old 09-11-16, 09:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, but, the way things are going, cars themselves will soon be doing that LOL.

They already do, to some extent.
Particularly in Pittsburgh:

No Driver? Bring It On. How Pittsburgh Became Uber’s Testing Ground

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/te...=top-news&_r=0

...and now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 09-12-16, 05:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Acura needs to drop the ilx if they can't make it special.