Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

electric door locks don't work in water....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15 | 04:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Default electric door locks don't work in water....

New Zealand reporter captures dramatic photos, assists in woman’s rescue from sinking car

http://news.yahoo.com/new-zealand-re...184855425.html

Coincidentally on assignment near Northcote Point in Auckland, New Zealand, when a woman in a BMW drove off the wharf and started sinking, newspaper reporter Simon Maude not only photographed the woman’s dramatic rescue but assisted in it as well.

“I was sort of battling my reporter instincts versus just being a human being and helping out,” Maude told Yahoo News. “When I got down there and saw what was happening, there were already four people in the water, so me getting in the water wasn’t going to help.”

Two police officers and two civilians jumped into the water to rescue the woman, who had managed to climb to an air pocket in the back seat of the quickly flooding car. But the doors would not open, and, as Constable Simon Russell later reported, the police officer’s baton was not enough to break through the car window.

“I saw the policemen having difficulty breaking the windows, so I put down my camera and asked them what they needed,” Maude, who works at Auckland’s North Shore Times, recalled over the phone from New Zealand. “They needed a rock, so I gave them one, and they went back to work and I went back to work.”

With that rock, the officers were able to successfully smash open the car’s back window and pull the woman safely to shore.

“It was pretty close, probably 30 or 40 seconds after we managed to get the female out of the car, the car was already slipping further into the water,” Constable Paul Watts told reporters later. “I’d say she probably only had maximum probably another minute, minute-and-a-half if she hadn’t gotten out.”

The woman, who has not been identified by name, was reportedly not injured, and New Zealand’s top law enforcement brass have praised the rescue by Watts, Russell and the two civilians. Maude’s photos, meanwhile, have been shared worldwide.

“It could’ve been anyone else, it was just plain chance that I was in the area,” Maude said. “In this day and age, everybody’s got a camera. It just happened to be me."
Old 02-19-15 | 06:37 PM
pman6
Racer

door locks have manual override, but even that's not enough to counter the water pressure
Old 02-20-15 | 09:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pman6
door locks have manual override, but even that's not enough to counter the water pressure
This. Before the water level gets to a typical car's character line, the door is essentially impossible to open until the level is equal on both sides. Cars typically sink faster than they fill, so this generally doesn't occur until:

A) the car is full of water to the roofline, or
B) A window is open/broken
Old 02-20-15 | 09:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

pman6 and geko29 are right... Thread title is misleading/incorrect.
Old 02-20-15 | 10:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

It's a BMW. Electric door locks wouldn't have worked on dry land anyways.
Old 02-20-15 | 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

That's an intense photo. Though I don't know the circumstances that led to this, my instinct would have been to open all windows as the car was hitting the water. Undo my seat belt, deep breath and escape.
Old 02-20-15 | 12:01 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's an intense photo. Though I don't know the circumstances that led to this, my instinct would have been to open all windows as the car was hitting the water. Undo my seat belt, deep breath and escape.
I think it's easier to say that you'll think to do all those things when you're sitting at a computer.
Old 02-20-15 | 12:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think it's easier to say that you'll think to do all those things when you're sitting at a computer.
Of course it is. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for scenario's like this. In the heat of the moment, that little thing you read years ago may just be the factor that saves you.
Old 02-20-15 | 12:55 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Of course it is. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for scenario's like this. In the heat of the moment, that little thing you read years ago may just be the factor that saves you.
Not disagreeing with you about that.. just saying you never know how what "rationale" your brain will rifle through in the that situation.
Old 02-21-15 | 08:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

What happened to the windows automatically rolling down when they get wet, that all the people were reporting happening during Hurricane Sandy???