Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking Into An IS 250 AWD '08

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 08:28 AM
blueboxdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking Into An IS 250 AWD '08

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here so I apologize if this is the wrong section for this (went to the IS area and it seems to be all about modding and maintenance, which is all good but not what I'm currently looking at).

My uncle owns a car dealership and over the weekend got in a 2008 IS 250 AWD. I don't have an official count, but the miles are about 130,000. Last I heard they want $8,000 for it (can probably try to get a couple hundred off).

I don't know much about these cars so I did a crash course in research of them this weekend. I understand complaints that there isn't enough power, but at the same time I'm driving around in a Chrysler Cirrus and sometimes an Oldsmobile Intrigue (which is actually pretty similar with 200 hp and the same weight, but then the similarities end) so I'm not huge into speed. What I prefer is something with responsive handling. I don't like to float down the road, and for that reason I'm also interested in a 2015 Mazda 3 i Touring (I know, they are different types of cars).

So I was wondering a few things:

1. How is the handling?

2. Is it boring to drive?

3. How is the reliability?

4. What sort of things should I be looking for in terms of wear (other than obvious like hoses and belts) that may be specific to this vehicle?

5. How much are repairs (I'm assuming because they're part of Toyota, parts shouldn't be rare to come by or overpriced to repair like a German car, but I could be completely wrong)?

6. I never had AWD so I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of wear with the AWD system.

7. How is the visibility (are there any giant pillars that create big blind spots)?

Any replies are greatly appreciated. Of course I'll have to drive it and get a feel for it, but until then I'm curious to see what owners of it have to say.

I know the back seat is cramped (sucks for anyone back there but they can deal with it) though the lack of folding back seats is a bit of a bummer.
Old 03-09-15, 09:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i dont think handling and feel can be explained in a post, you need to try it yourself... it is a nice car, I have 2009 model.

Since it is a sporty sedan, visibility at the back is not that great, but you might have backup camera in that one... you do get used to it.

It is very different car from Mazda though. It would be heavier, especially in the city, but also much more stable at highway speeds and much more luxurious.
Old 03-09-15, 10:15 AM
evident
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

it's a nice ride with some sporty pretentions. speed is comparable to an Acura TSX. handles better because it's RWD/AWD in my opinion. small on the inside, nice interior -well done for it's time period. no folding rear seats is a deal breaker for me, especially on a car that small
Old 03-09-15, 10:24 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Look up Carbon Buildup on the 2IS.
Old 03-09-15, 10:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

My sister has this car, but hers is a 09 model. Its the only Lexus or Toyota that has ever left a family member stranded.

Aside from that, she really does like the car. Premium gas is required and the mileage is so-so.

The interior is pretty nice with so good material.

Repairs are not cheap.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-09-15 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL. We discuss all cars here in CAR CHAT, but also have forums specifically for the various IS models....this for the 2Gen IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eneration-163/

But, to answer some of your questions, the IS has always been better-than-average in reliability, firmly sprung with low-profile tires, (you said you didn't like a floaty ride), and relatively well-handling.

The IS250 is extremely common in my part of the country (Washington,DC suburbs), where, though I don't have the hard numbers, it appears to handily outsell the RWD models. Don't expect much of the way in power or speed, though, as it is a relatively small-displacement engine with the added weight and drag of AWD....but the flip side, of course, is good traction in the winter, though you might have to trade the factory summer tires for all-seasons.

As far as service and repairs go, Lexus shops, of course, usually aren't cheap, but are generally not as wallet-draining as Mercedes or Porsche shops, which routinely practice highway robbery. Still, you can (sometimes) get service and simple repairs for an IS done at Toyota shops, where labor and service rates are often cheaper....as long as it doesn't involve warranty work, which (usually) has to be done by Lexus itself. (I did that when I owned my 1Gen IS300...had it serviced at the same Toyota shop where I had bought my previous Celica).

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-15 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 01:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

With 130,000 miles on the IS, you'd have to be prepared for possible/probable repair costs. It is reliable, but at that mileage things very well may start to go wrong.
Old 03-09-15, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
With 130,000 miles on the IS, you'd have to be prepared for possible/probable repair costs. It is reliable, but at that mileage things very wemay start to go wrong.
I agree with you.