Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Guess sometimes you gotta just punch your producer in the face...lol
We were watching an old special from the show in solidarity the other night lol, one of the producers came up and gave Jeremy a challenge and I said "Look, he didn't punch him in the face!" lol
Old 03-14-15, 01:34 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was exhausted, hungry, stressed out...and he reacted to a situation in a way that he shouldn't have and that in hindsight he wishes he hadn't. We have ALL been there, and anybody who says they haven't is lying. The producer was tired, hungry, and stressed out too. I'm sure he didn't just roll up in a ball and start crying.
Everyone experiences stress. But not everyone acts out in violent fashion. Matter of fact, most people don't. For those who do, that's when the laws are enforced. You're making it sound as if violent behavior due to stressful work environments is par for the course. It's not. BBC is doing its job by complying with its internal guidelines on how to deal with workplace bullying/harassment. Hence, Clarkson was suspended. And he's the only one that got suspended. The producer was not. What does that tell you about who the BBC thinks is culpable?

Sometimes people don't analyze every variable of a situation before they react...they just react. Thats human nature. Yes there are consequences for our actions, but we have to make sure that those consequences aren't a gross overreaction to the reality of what has occurred.
The BBC and Clarkson have a contractual agreement with each other. If BBC suspends/fires Clarkson, it must view its relationship with Clarkson to have been violated and no longer viable. As far as I know, suspension/termination are the accepted ways by which to end non-viable business relationships. BBC's action is not a "gross overreaction". It may even be long overdue. BBC must have done risk-benefit analysis and decided that pulling the plug is the correct approach.

Throwing tens of millions of dollars away and putting the livelihoods of 100s of people at risk is a gross overreaction IMHO.
Same argument could be made for maintaining slavery, child labor, illegal drug trafficking, etc etc.....

He didn't shoot the guy, he didn't beat the guy to a pulp, he didn't stab the guy...he yelled at the guy and the two of them got into little shoving and pushing and it got broken up. It happens all the time.
Shoving and pushing doesn't happen "all the time". Wherever did you get that idea? Your sales job? You must work in a dysfunctional environment. Sure, workplace tensions are common, but not actual physical violence.

Haven't fired him yet. Like I said...he will be hired by somebody instantly. The BBC is of no value to Clarkson, he's of enormous value to them.
Then these petitions to reinstate Clarkson at BBC are rather pointless. Clarkson is free to go wherever he wants, I'm sure the 900K fans will follow.

The BBC will have their principles, and it will have cost them an enormous sum of money. The producer might have his satisfaction, and he can enjoy it on the unemployment line when he gets laid off when Top Gear goes belly up. Thats reality.
Is this all that matters: making money? By this logic, slavery should be reinstated since it makes money for the owners and slaves at least have food on the table and a place to live.

When you have something that works and everybody is being fulfilled and making money...you find ways to continue doing whats working...not find ways to shut it down

The BBC has been around a long time. It will be fine without Clarkson. The idea that Clarkson is the only thing that props up BBC is sheer hubristic arrogance.
Old 03-14-15, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
BBC has the relevant information on the case - more information than you and I have. The fact that it is suspending Clarkson and canceling the rest of the Top Gear season suggests that the BBC has a strong case against Clarkson. It would not jeopardize the earnings from the lucrative show if it was otherwise. This move suggests that the BBC checked all the facts and has already made its judgment. If the infraction was minor, BBC could have easily looked the other way given how much it stands to lose financially by shutting down the Clarkson show.
the bbc is not a business, it's a government run and funded channel (liks pbs except it doesn't take donations, the uk govt stiffs EVERYONE who owns a tv with an annual "tv license". sure it has financials but top gear has essentially been an unplanned windfall for the channel. since it's government run (and left wing biased and extremely 'politically correct'), top gear has always been a problem, but the channel has looked the other way because (being hypocrites) they like the revenue to fund crap like "plant watering by ethel" (i made that up, but a lot of bbc is straight up AWFUL).

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31828184[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by SW13GS
We were watching an old special from the show in solidarity the other night lol, one of the producers came up and gave Jeremy a challenge and I said "Look, he didn't punch him in the face!" lol
Old 03-14-15, 01:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

i hope clarkson and/or bbc don't renew his contract (which is over either way this month) so he can go somewhere that will appreciate him more.
Old 03-14-15, 01:42 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 676 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the bbc is not a business, it's a government run and funded channel (liks pbs except it doesn't take donations, the uk govt stiffs EVERYONE who owns a tv with an annual "tv license". sure it has financials but top gear has essentially been an unplanned windfall for the channel. since it's government run (and left wing biased and extremely 'politically correct'), top gear has always been a problem, but the channel has looked the other way because (being hypocrites) they like the revenue to fund crap like "plant watering by ethel" (i made that up, but a lot of bbc is straight up AWFUL).
The BBC has made and continues to make some of the finest television anywhere. Its output puts most of what we get here in the US to shame.
Old 03-14-15, 01:50 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31828184
[/QUOTE]

Let's stick to the facts as we know them. Clarkson is being suspended because he was involved in a physical altercation with a producer. This act - at the minimum - is considered assault. The act may have been aggravated assault or a felony, depending on whether there were injuries inflicted and/or a weapon was involved. Bottom line, even simple assault violated the BBC's guidelines on workplace bullying. Hence the suspension. It has nothing to do with left wing or right wing politics.
Old 03-14-15, 01:52 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swajames
The BBC has made and continues to make some of the finest television anywhere. Its output puts most of what we get here in the US to shame.
True. Totally agree with the superior content of BBC programming, Clarkson notwithstanding.
Old 03-14-15, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Everyone experiences stress. But not everyone acts out in violent fashion. Matter of fact, most people don't. For those who do, that's when the laws are enforced. You're making it sound as if violent behavior due to stressful work environments is par for the course. It's not. BBC is doing its job by complying with its internal guidelines on how to deal with workplace bullying/harassment. Hence, Clarkson was suspended. And he's the only one that got suspended. The producer was not. What does that tell you about who the BBC thinks is culpable?
No doubt in my mind the BBC thinks Clarkson is culpable. I'm not saying its par for the course, I'm just saying these things do happen...and Clarkson does not have a history of this sort of behavior. Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. None of us know what we might be capable of doing in a given circumstance, we'd all like to think we wouldn't behave that way...but you never know.

The BBC and Clarkson have a contractual agreement with each other. If BBC suspends/fires Clarkson, it must view its relationship with Clarkson to have been violated and no longer viable. As far as I know, suspension/termination are the accepted ways by which to end non-viable business relationships. BBC's action is not a "gross overreaction". It may even be long overdue. BBC must have done risk-benefit analysis and decided that pulling the plug is the correct approach.
I don't agree. The X Factor here is like bitkahuna said, the BBC is not a business, its a public entity. They are not accustomed to dealing with a show of this level of success and value, nor with talent as eccentric and brilliant as Clarkson. One of the reports on he incident said Clarkson started by extolling "This is so typical of the BBC!" thats part of the issue...an underlying frustration thats been building for years...and the producer became the embodiment of that frustration in that moment. I have to agree, no way a big production company who values their talent would expect them to go without a hot meal at the end of a filming day. A producer who would fail to make sure that did not happen should be fired.

Doesn't make it right, but you can see how things got out of hand.

Same argument could be made for maintaining slavery, child labor, illegal drug trafficking, etc etc.....
Thats just a preposterous statement, and not at all similar or comparable. We're not governing the world here, we're producing a TV show...lets keep some perspective.

Shoving and pushing doesn't happen "all the time". Wherever did you get that idea? Your sales job? You must work in a dysfunctional environment. Sure, workplace tensions are common, but not actual physical violence.
I never said it happened all the time, I said it happens. If you don't think it happens you've obviously never been to a bar, or a sporting event, or a junior or senior high school, or a college campus. People can be violent, things escalate and even normally nonviolent people can become violent.

Then these petitions to reinstate Clarkson at BBC are rather pointless. Clarkson is free to go wherever he wants, I'm sure the 900K fans will follow.
People voicing their opinions when they feel they need to be heard is never pointless.

Is this all that matters: making money? By this logic, slavery should be reinstated since it makes money for the owners and slaves at least have food on the table and a place to live.
To a business? Frankly yes...businesses exist to make money, and thats the only reason they exist. The X factor here is the BBC is not a business. I think something as hugely popular as TopGear is wasted on a company like the BBC. A real production company could do so much more with it.

Again, the slavery thing is incredibly overstated and out of touch. We're not governing, we're producing a TV show.

The BBC has been around a long time. It will be fine without Clarkson. The idea that Clarkson is the only thing that props up BBC is sheer hubristic arrogance.
It will be fine, but it will be diminished from what it became because of the success of Top Gear. Top Gear exposed the BBC and British productions to the world stage. Big reason we have BBC America? Top Gear.

i hope clarkson and/or bbc don't renew his contract (which is over either way this month) so he can go somewhere that will appreciate him more.
I agree, and I think Clarkson agrees too. I just hope he and Hammond and May stay together, because its the trio that makes Top Gear so great. F' the BBC, he needs to be in the hands of professional producers.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-14-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Let's stick to the facts as we know them. Clarkson is being suspended because he was involved in a physical altercation with a producer. This act - at the minimum - is considered assault. The act may have been aggravated assault or a felony, depending on whether there were injuries inflicted and/or a weapon was involved. Bottom line, even simple assault violated the BBC's guidelines on workplace bullying. Hence the suspension. It has nothing to do with left wing or right wing politics.
First off...we're talking about the UK. You keep using terms and such that apply to our legal system...they don't apply to his legal status there. Nobody has filed any complaints or pressed any charges and Clarkson has not been charged with any crime, so back the legal nature of this out of it. All that matters is the BBC's internal policy.

As for your comment on right wing or left wing politics, no idea where that came from
Old 03-14-15, 02:05 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

I don't agree. The X Factor here is like bitkahuna said, the BBC is not a business, its a public entity. They are not accustomed to dealing with a show of this level of success and value, nor with talent as eccentric and brilliant as Clarkson. One of the reports on he incident said Clarkson started by extolling "This is so typical of the BBC!" thats part of the issue...an underlying frustration thats been building for years...and the producer became the embodiment of that frustration in that moment. I have to agree, no way a big production company who values their talent would expect them to go without a hot meal at the end of a filming day.
That's lame. Clarkson knew when he started working at BBC that it's a government-owned entity. He knew exactly what he was getting into. To have stuck it out with BBC for years - getting rich in the process - and only now expressing "frustration"? That smacks of barely concealed opportunism.
Old 03-14-15, 02:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Guys, please take the back and forth on this to PM
Old 03-14-15, 04:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Its official. Clarkson left the show for good. BBC seeing no future of the show without Clarkson, has cancelled Top Gear.

UPDATE: Jeremy Clarkson Quits Top Gear, Show Cancelled for Good

Petrolheads all over, ladies and gents that enjoyed Top Gear's "ambitious but rubbish" take on all things automotive, it pains us to announce that Jeremy Clarkson calls it quits in his column in The Sun.

In a piece titled "So we lose the tiger... but gain acid-spit snail," Jeremy Clarkson talks about nature's battle against extinction and the future of the Top Gear trio. Without further ado, this is how Jezza broke the silence in his most recent column for the tabloid:

"I THINK it’s fair to say that nature made a mistake when it invented the dinosaur. It was too big, too violent and with such small and puny arms it was never going to be able to operate heavy machinery or even enjoy a bit of special “me” time." Pretty easy to understand, but we haven't even got to the most tear-jearking part yet.

“All the dinosaurs died and now, years later, no-one mourns their passing. These big, imposing creatures have no place in a world which has moved on.” What these two lines point at is the dying of Top Gear as a show and how the presenter will have to move on.

Despite 880,000-plus signatures for the #BringBackClarkson petition, Jezza suggests that all our efforts were in vain: “You can start as many campaigns as you like and call on the support of politicians from all sides, but the day must come when you have to wave goodbye to the big monsters, and move on.”This is the end and we can't do anything about it...

Fingers crossed other British broadcasting companies will bite his arm off and Clarkson will convice May and Hammond to start a new motoring show from square one. It will be hard to convince those two to jump on the bandwagon, but it won't be impossible.

Even if not for May and Hammond, if Jeremy will make a pay-per-view YouTube channel and continue filming car reviews, it'll still be enough to soothe our fevered petrolhead brows. Best of luck, Jezza!
UPDATE: Captain Slow confirmed that Top Gear is kaput in a not-so-cryptic manner.

UPDATE 2: The Mirror reports that "Jeremy Clarkson called Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon 'a lazy Irish ****," and that "Clarkson ranted for half an hour then punched him in the mouth - he was bleeding and dizzy so he had to go to hospital." In related Jeremy Clarkson news, bbc.co.uk was offline this afternoon, possibly because digital protest group Anonymous threatened an attack on the site a few days ago.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/je...ood-93287.html
Old 03-14-15, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know that I would consider that "official"...
Old 03-14-15, 05:37 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I really like JC as people like him who are free spirited, pure hearted & non politically corrected are becoming a rarity.

-All this could be an illuminati plot to force JC out as he was probably considered a "loose end" and he could have potentially exposed them.

Last edited by yowps3; 03-14-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Its official. Clarkson left the show for good. BBC seeing no future of the show without Clarkson, has cancelled Top Gear.
Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't know that I would consider that "official"...
True or not, I don't see how the world (or even Top Gear's world) is going to stop spinning without Clarkson. His own colleagues (or, should I say ex-colleagues?) Richard Hammond and James May are quite adept at the business of reviewing and discussing cars, even if they lack some of Clarkson's ability to ramble and pontificate. James May, for example, writes a nice column in every publication of the magazine describing the physics, in simple terms so that even a beginner can understand it, of how various automotive systems work and the forces involved in driving. It's ingeniously simple but informative at the same time. At the end the each article, he signs off by saying...."Has James earned a pint (of ale, of course) for this lesson?" Most of the time, IMO, he has.

Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear