Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson terminated from Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I can promise you that absolutely none of Clarkson's problems have to do with his reviews of cars LOL
Old 03-15-15, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I can promise you that absolutely none of Clarkson's problems have to do with his reviews of cars LOL
Yes, I agree....that's probably true. But, in my last post, I wasn't addressing the legal issues as much as I was the idea, from another poster, that he was deliberately and intentionally misrepresenting vehicles that he reviewed. Given Clarkson's passion as a car enthusiast (and from what I have seen and read, though I generally read more of his stuff than watch the TV show), I find that a little hard to believe.
Old 03-15-15, 07:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I was agreeing with you

He has biases, one of those biases is that he dislikes Lexus. The LFA really won him over, and what I think soured him on the RC-F is it didn't remind him of the LFA as much as he thought it would.
Old 03-15-15, 07:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's be fair here for a moment. I can't comment directly on any Tesla or RC-F incident involving Clarkson because i haven't watched them...OK, there, you may have a point; I don't know.

But to come out and claim that he has been deliberately misrepresenting cars over the years, for a long time, might be going overboard.
Nah it's spot on. Clarkson likes to pick a narrative and "bend" the truth to fit, he has on several occasions (that I've seen could be more) outright made stuff up and he knew full well he was doing it.
Old 03-15-15, 07:48 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Show me a person who doesn't hold biases towards certain makes and I'll show you a person who's never driven a car.
Old 03-15-15, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And again...TopGear is a comedy show about cars. They make no attempt at trying to present themselves as impartial. Each of them has their things they love and hate and it comes across in their "reviews"...

This isn't Car & Driver TV.
Old 03-15-15, 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

And again...TopGear is a comedy show about cars. They make no attempt at trying to present themselves as impartial. Each of them has their things they love and hate and it comes across in their "reviews"...

+1. coming from britain, i understand a lot of their 'style' and biases, although i'm not even sure they actually believe the stereotypes and cliches they present endlessly, but it sure is funny. clarkson is the brash private school (privileged) snob (or 'public school' as they say there for some strange reason) - a bit like john cleese. hammond is the 'blue collar' guy with the northern accent. and james may represents some affluent suburban guy with 'sensible' and reserved tastes - a bit like michael palin.

the interplay of the 3 archetypes is what makes the show work, along with great writing and some amazing camera work and editing for their non-studio pieces.
Old 03-15-15, 10:27 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's be fair here for a moment. I can't comment directly on any Tesla or RC-F incident involving Clarkson because i haven't watched them...OK, there, you may have a point; I don't know.

But to come out and claim that he has been deliberately misrepresenting cars over the years, for a long time, might be going overboard. Based on the Clarkson reviews I have seen or read (and I do read Top Gear magazine fairly regularly and occasionally watch the TV show), he can be stubborn, rambling, political, and sometimes talk more about the car's surroundings than about the car itself. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he's lying or intentionally trying to mislead people....after all, despite his faults, he is considered a professional and someone dedicated to his work. He's just impulsive about his feelings, that's all.....and tends to show it.
If you saw his RCF piece, you'd understand my comment. It was pure, unencumbered, intentional misrepresentation, i.e., BS.

HIs pathetic attempt to disparage the new F was insulting to anyone with grey matter.
Old 03-16-15, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
james may represents some affluent suburban guy with 'sensible' and reserved tastes - a bit like michael palin.
Do you read May's column (not his editorial column up front) in the Top Gear magazine, where he gives driving tips, explains how auto systems work, and occasionally gets into other car/bike subjects, then asks if he has earned a pint for his advice? It is very good......IMO one of the best in any auto magazine.
Old 03-16-15, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISF001
If you saw his RCF piece, you'd understand my comment. It was pure, unencumbered, intentional misrepresentation, i.e., BS.

HIs pathetic attempt to disparage the new F was insulting to anyone with grey matter.
Perhaps so. I'll at least respect your opinion on it. I won't comment further on that particular piece since I didn't see it.
Old 03-16-15, 09:34 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
The arguments made to retain Clarkson are based on on his economic value to BBC and the entertainment value he provides to his fans. What does this say of his supporters who are willing to overlook his felonious behavior just so they can continue to get their entertainment fix?
that the two are separate? Charge him, fine him for his behavior - But as an entertainer, let him go back to entertaining us.
Old 03-16-15, 09:54 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 646 Likes on 402 Posts

According to BBC news, the "inquisition" is now underway...
Old 03-16-15, 10:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISF001

I saw it. It was funny. He hated the car, people have the right to love and hate things as they wish. Someone like Clarkson who is paid for his opinion is not obligated to deliver a certain opinion. I thought their bit about the SC430 being the worst car ever made was funny too, the way they left it for Hammond because he likes terrible things. I obviously think calling the SC430 the worst car ever made is ridiculous...and so do they. Its a comedy show.

Don't let it bother you. He can call my car rubbish all he wants, doesn't hurt me.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-16-15 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-17-15, 10:06 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly. Representing TG as a serious "car" show is ludicrous. It is entertainment, largely aimed at an automotive interest group.

Nobody had his channel selector welded to BBCA, so for those who want to cry about an individual program, I offer a selection of two options, both of which appear on your TV's remote: One changes the channel, the other one turns it OFF.
Old 03-17-15, 08:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

ok i've read through this thread and so far nobody has given adequate background. the top gear trio were out filming all day which is a very time consuming and tiring process. by the time clarkson got to the hotel (he was kinda drunk) it was like 9:30 at night, they were all starving, and the only food available for them was some cheese and crackers.

the bbc recently made it a duty of the producers to arrange the catering for the show, enter oisin tymon. it was his fault there was no food, and if you're dealing with a hungry, tired, drunk jeremy clarkson, the last thing you want is for him not to get the steak he was looking forward to.

now clarkson's behavior certainly wasn't very professional, but isn't that part of why we (except Pamperme unless he's trolling) love clarkson? his lack of political correctness and overly british behavior is crucial to top gear's success. so he punched someone who had messed up, it's still just ONE punch... not like he beat the guy senselessly or anything. did oisin deserve to be punched? probably not, but he sure as hell won't be making the same mistake again. i think there comes a point where when one person has done so much to contribute to making such an excellent product that has improved the lives of hundreds of millions of people and brought an organization THAT much money and publicity, they should be able to get away with more than most people.

the world would probably be a better place if more people got punched. it teaches you a lesson that a mere scolding simply cannot do. what happens when you get a cut? it heals. the human body really isn't all that fragile, the producer didn't even file a complaint, clarkson did.

no top gear isn't cancelled for good, and no clarkson hasn't been fired.

Quick Reply: Clarkson terminated from Top Gear