Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me! I'm so torn!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 03:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Like I said in my earlier post, the GS F is a sedan with RWD. The same as the HELLCAT. But the GS F is a lot slower AND a lot more expensive, so it doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong. I would never consider a Charger, not even the next one down with the 392 HP engine, as a substitute for the GS F or the regular GS. But the HELLCAT is not an ordinary Charger.

I don't know. It is a Dodge. The last Dodge I owned (an AWD mini van when my kids were little) the engine caught on fire. I haven't gone near a Dodge since, but this is a Charger HELLCAT, and I'm assuming all the American brands have improved.

Such a hard decision. Every option has a negative.
If retirement is coming up in four years, the priority should be putting away as much as possible to fund your retirement. The car purchase should be secondary. Maybe rather than focusing on a maximum amount for a new car, look for something with a more moderate price and then pocket/save the difference for retirement. When you retire and see how things are financially there might be $$'s in the budget for another new car. I've purchased new cars more frequently since I retired than I did prior to retiring.
Old 03-14-15, 04:11 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Trek, you're struggling with the classic left brain (sensible) vs. right brain (creative, impulsive) battle. i feel your pain.

it's always cheapest and easiest to keep the car you have, but also the most boring. i recently traded in an 8 year old vehicle that was perfectly reliable but i was bored of it and wanted newer safety and other features and just something 'new'.

i tried going practical and getting a 'sensible' vehicle, but ended up spending a lot more to get something i grin from ear to ear every time i get in it or see it in a parking lot. i'm sure i would have been ok with the other vehicle, but i'm glad i made the decision i did.

so you can be practical, or you can do something fun. without being morbid, none of us knows what tomorrow brings (or doesn't). it's ok to plan for retirement, but not to the point of not having some fun and happiness in the present. material things aren't everything but they can certainly be very enjoyable. i just love new cars and each year they really do get better and better.

oh and on your list... for me it would be the macan. a friend on here has one and LOVES it. he struggled some with whether to treat himself, but he has no regrets now.

and while the hellcat is incredible, i'd get a loaded corvette instead for that money - a vastly superior vehicle technically, or a jeep grand cherokee srt
]
You make good points. I've just never been a vette guy. It only has two seats and the Hellcat is even faster than a Vette. It has five seats. I would like to be able to drive the family around once in awhile. If I go for a two seater it has to be the F-Type R coupe. But I probably won't because of the cost.

Those of you urging me to save money make a lot of sense. I can't do something as selfish as buy/lease a 100K car, especially with retirement looming in four years. The guilt would be overwhelming.
Old 03-14-15, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Those of you urging me to save money make a lot of sense. I can't do something as selfish as buy/lease a 100K car, especially with retirement looming in four years. The guilt would be overwhelming.
Just think of it as saving money in the proper context.....not as a matter of guilt or innocence. I don't think anyone here (including myself) is saying that you have to deny yourself a nice new car (or a nice used one, for that matter) for the rest of your life. All we're saying is that your retirement, your family (I assume your kids, if any, are long gone and moved out), and your future have to come first. Take care of them first, and THEN see how much disposable income you've got in the bank for a new car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-15 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 07:30 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never owned a Porsche, but if I am not mistaken exotic cars do come with exotic maintance and reliability is alaways in question. Are you willing to spend thousands if dollars for the rest of your life considering that its going to be you last fun car?
Old 03-14-15, 08:25 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
I have never owned a Porsche, but if I am not mistaken exotic cars do come with exotic maintance and reliability is alaways in question. Are you willing to spend thousands if dollars for the rest of your life considering that its going to be you last fun car?
You're killing me.
Old 03-14-15, 08:43 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

You're killing me.
Why? Its just my opinion. It doesnt mean I am right. Trek, you have a very tough decision to make, only you know your finacial status. If you are well off and can afford say $80k car and not worried about maintnace or any break downs in the future, then I dont see why would you not buy a car your heart desires.

If you are not well off,
It would not be smart not to think about things like maintnace and breaks down that are very costly for any luxury or sports vehicle. Also, it would not be smart not to think about resale value, you never know when you may need the money and may need to sell it.

So, IMO if you are well off then buy what you really want and dont worry about a thing.

Just go do a little research how much things like battery, breaks, spark plugs, oil cgange will cost. And then you can kinda get an idea what it would cost if anything more serious would break down like a sensor or a solenoid etc...

My dad has a 1999 mercedes, the cheapest battery we could find is $185. I mean this stuff is very important if you plan to keep the vehicle for more than 5y!

Last edited by FastTags; 03-14-15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 08:55 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

My wx boss owned a 2007 Viper, he replaced tires every year, it cost him $4000. It wasnt his daily ride, he drove matrix most of the time. He did take the car on the track once in a while. Still $4k for tires every year! And again, if you can afford it, then go for it. If not, then think twice before you make a purchase.
IMO if you really want an exotic ride, maybe a smarter choice would be buy a year old Car, and that 20% that you saved can fo towards the maintance

Last edited by FastTags; 03-14-15 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 11:43 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not gonna tell you how to spend your money but... wait, I am Why not go electric for the daily driver? A Tesla with a smaller battery is less than 100k although the top P85D with AWD costs 120k+. Or how about a GS450h or ES300h? You could then get a cheap Miata for summer drives and track days.
Old 03-15-15, 06:57 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only live once; get the F-Type!
Old 01-09-16, 04:54 AM
yround
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this thread is old but I'm curious. what did you end up getting?
Old 01-09-16, 06:04 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

According to his current signature:

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S First Edition (on order)
Old 01-09-16, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I would not recommend the Hellcat where you live. One problem with the Hellcat is that, even over and above its not-cheap base price to start with, dealerships tend to gouge with big markups. Also, where you live, Pennsylvania has a lot of roads torn up by salt and bad weather, with potholes and frost-heaves. The Hellcat's stiff suspension and tires, pounding over those bad roads, probably wouldn't do your sore back much good. If a pothole does damage one or more of those big wheels and ultra-low-profile tires, which is easy to do, they are quite expensive to replace....though insurance might take care of that. The many mountainous, curvy back-roads roads in PA,of course, are fitting for a stiff suspension and good handling, but not necessarily to that kind of power. And, of course, the PA State Police tends to enforce speed limits in the state, particularly on the Turnpike. So, IMO, there are better choices for you if you are going to stay in PA.
Old 01-09-16, 10:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would not recommend the Hellcat where you live. One problem with the Hellcat is that, even over and above its not-cheap base price to start with, dealerships tend to gouge with big markups. Also, where you live, Pennsylvania has a lot of roads torn up by salt and bad weather, with potholes and frost-heaves. The Hellcat's stiff suspension and tires, pounding over those bad roads, probably wouldn't do your sore back much good. If a pothole does damage one or more of those big wheels and ultra-low-profile tires, which is easy to do, they are quite expensive to replace....though insurance might take care of that. The many mountainous, curvy back-roads roads in PA,of course, are fitting for a stiff suspension and good handling, but not necessarily to that kind of power. And, of course, the PA State Police tends to enforce speed limits in the state, particularly on the Turnpike. So, IMO, there are better choices for you if you are going to stay in PA.
55,000 posts, and you haven't yet learned to check the post date for the OP? C'mon now....
Old 01-09-16, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
55,000 posts, and you haven't yet learned to check the post date for the OP? C'mon now....
Well, you might have a point on that one. You're at least partly right. I didn't notice the one on the Jaguar. It either wasn't there when I last-posted, or somehow it got past me. If so, then you're right ....that's on me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-16 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-09-16, 08:45 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

i'm glad i checked the post date because i was about to say get a slightly used 2014-2015 E63 AMG. in terms of performance, practicality, comfort, features, refinement, performance (performance twice becuase there's so much of it), there really is no other option. and it's also got AWD for the first time in an AMG and i can personally verify it's great in snow, and with a mere tune it'll demolish just about everything you come across, even more so than it already does.

but... f type it is then

Quick Reply: Help me! I'm so torn!