Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Car Program Earns 2nd Place

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 04:40 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Car Program Earns 2nd Place

Lexus takes second in the new AutoTrader rankings of the best CPO programs? Yeah, I guess we'll take that. For this year, at least.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 03-23-15, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, not a bad showing at all, especially considering that the winner (Porsche) serves a somewhat different (and much smaller) customer-base in the CPO market. Lexus and Mercedes were also the two companies that, back in the 1990s, pioneered the idea of Certified Used Cars, to take much of the traditional hassle, fear, and risk out of buying one. The Manufacturer-Certified process of inspections/tests/repairs/replacements on a used car, compared to a conventional one, does add cost to the reconditioning process, and, of course, to the dealer's asking price (as do accumulated time and odometer mileage limits).....but, apparently, many buyers feel it is worth it.

Now, that does not mean that CPOs are always as much of a cream-puff as claimed to be (I've seen some with significant dents/scratches/paint-chips and less-than perfect interiors and one or two problems on the road). So, IMO, a prospective buyer should still check one out carefully. I once went with a friend of mine to look at a CPO Subaru SVX that he was interested in......only for it to turn up a bad trunk leak and a wet carpet/spare tire. But, in general, they (usually) ARE a cut above the average previously-owned vehicle, and less of a risk.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-15 at 05:01 PM.