Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
mmarshall, the manufacturer's in fact do understand what you are saying. BUT currently ride comfort and how smooth, soft, and floaty a car might be is not in style. Right now it's all about "sport" and driving "FEEL" and less about the absence of everything else.

Shambler, though, pointed out that the market for softer-riding vehicles is not as out of style as some believe. He was correct.....the manufacturers just aren't addressing it. And, not only that, the age-group that tends to have the highest-percentage of their disposable income to spend on new cars (late-50s-early 60s, just before retirement) tends to prefer cruisers over bruisers.

Like I said, though, I have no idea how the new Continental and CT6 will do on the road, so I'll hold some comments on them....(but I hope they both do better than the XTS and MKS...I wasn't impressed with either).

Also, don't misunderstand me....I'm NOT opposed to sport-oriented sedans by any means (in fact, I've enjoyed driving or reviewing some of them myself, and thought the world of the last-generation BMW 335i with hydraulic steering). But the market has become so saturated with them that, outside of a few models I've listed above, It's become difficult to find much else. Consumer Reports has also commented on that.
Old 01-16-16, 08:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Shambler, though, pointed out that the market for softer-riding vehicles is not as out of style as some believe. He was correct.....the manufacturers just aren't addressing it. And, not only that, the age-group that tends to have the highest-percentage of their disposable income to spend on new cars (late-50s-early 60s, just before retirement) tends to prefer cruisers over bruisers.

Like I said, though, I have no idea how the new Continental and CT6 will do on the road, so I'll hold some comments on them....(but I hope they both do better than the XTS and MKS...I wasn't impressed with either).

Also, don't misunderstand me....I'm NOT opposed to sport-oriented sedans by any means (in fact, I've enjoyed driving or reviewing some of them myself, and thought the world of the last-generation BMW 335i with hydraulic steering). But the market has become so saturated with them that, outside of a few models I've listed above, It's become difficult to find much else. Consumer Reports has also commented on that.
Yes the market has become saturated and that is true. Perhaps that is why MB is changing its AMG Sport into just AMG. Perhaps they see the market changing.

I understand that you like soft riding, and there is probably some market for them. But the industry has moved to a more driving feel and sport look, the auto industry also set a record for auto sales in 2015. So what are they missing?
Old 01-16-16, 09:22 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

will we get this car? hahahahahahahano.!! now way this awesome and beautiful car will ever make it to production. and if it does the production model will be watered down and stupid looking.

what a shame. this is beautiful. I really like this one.
Old 01-16-16, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
will we get this car? hahahahahahahano.!! now way this awesome and beautiful car will ever make it to production. and if it does the production model will be watered down and stupid looking.

what a shame. this is beautiful. I really like this one.
FYI...this is the production car. It's not a concept.
Old 01-16-16, 11:43 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
FYI...this is the production car. It's not a concept.
Huh?! wow I thought just concept
Old 01-16-16, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, the real production car was introduced at Detroit.
Old 01-16-16, 01:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The car on the first page is the concept, the car in post #140 is the production version with the same colors.
Old 01-16-16, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I understand that you like soft riding, and there is probably some market for them. But the industry has moved to a more driving feel and sport look, the auto industry also set a record for auto sales in 2015. So what are they missing?
A large part of that 15.7M record year, though, was in trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and other types of vehicles which don't have much bearing on what we were discussing.
Old 01-16-16, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A large part of that 15.7M record year, though, was in trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and other types of vehicles
Which further supports the notion that people do not want softly sprung suspensions.
Old 01-16-16, 04:01 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think there's a difference between a "softly sprung" car vs a quiet and comfortable vehicle, which was what I was inferring when I quoted that article. At least the image I have in my head is indeed of those old luxobarges that had more body roll than a cruise ship. I don't think any of these quiet, comfortable vehicles that squash noise, vibration and harshness to nothing can fit that category. My LS doesn't roll like a 70s Lincoln, but it is much more quieter and serene by that theme.

I desire quiet and comfortable. I'm not old. I've had my share of BMWs and "sports" cars that frankly didn't do anything for me while I was stuck in rush hour traffic, which constitutes the bulk of my driving. Got sick of feeling every rut in the road, dodging potholes like they were the plague and having thuds so loud that they vibrated my fillings when I didn't.

I want that comfortable ride to work and I just got a brand new LS. I like that tank-like vault that insulates me. I'm somebody!
Old 01-16-16, 04:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shambler
I think there's a difference between a "softly sprung" car vs a quiet and comfortable vehicle, which was what I was inferring when I quoted that article. At least the image I have in my head is indeed of those old luxobarges that had more body roll than a cruise ship. I don't think any of these quiet, comfortable vehicles that squash noise, vibration and harshness to nothing can fit that category. My LS doesn't roll like a 70s Lincoln, but it is much more quieter and serene by that theme.

I desire quiet and comfortable. I'm not old. I've had my share of BMWs and "sports" cars that frankly didn't do anything for me while I was stuck in rush hour traffic, which constitutes the bulk of my driving. Got sick of feeling every rut in the road, dodging potholes like they were the plague and having thuds so loud that they vibrated my fillings when I didn't.

I want that comfortable ride to work and I just got a brand new LS. I like that tank-like vault that insulates me. I'm somebody!
But how many cars are like the LS? Most of the Lexus models have moved away from the Lexus LS theme. Some of them even pump simulated sound into the cabin to make the sport them more pronounced. Not sure if the LS Fsport does this.
Old 01-16-16, 04:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But how many cars are like the LS? Most of the Lexus models have moved away from the Lexus LS theme. Some of them even pump simulated sound into the cabin to make the sport them more pronounced. Not sure if the LS Fsport does this.
Lexus doesn't pump simulated sound in. They use an intake sound generator that creates a real intake note and directs it back at the cabin. The LS F Sport has two actually. The base LS doesn't use one.

Every car doesn't have to be the same. Just because other cars aren't like the LS doesn't mean the LS has to be like other cars. I have no issue with the LS and ES continuing to be ride focused cars while the rest of the range moves more dynamic in direction.

What I don't want to see is the LS become more like say a 7 Series than an S Class in terms of ride. The good news is modern suspensions can make cars sharper without the ride trade off you always used to have.

As for being floaty, it's true that the LS isn't really a floaty car, never has been. It's actually pretty firm, it is just very smooth, refined with very low levels of NVH which contributes to its great ride.
Old 01-16-16, 04:56 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh I agree, I think Lexus is trying to reinvent itself, capture that emotion, illicit that lust that so many people fall for when buying a car.

What the article I quoted states--and what I was trying to imply--was that there is a market for cars that put noise, vibration and harshness on the top shelf. That people do value comfort, tank/vault-like qualities and that they will pay handsomely for it.

You should read the article I linked about the Lincoln and their new "theme" which Lexus, at least at this point, has cornered for all intents and purposes.
Old 01-16-16, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's why Lincoln and Genesis are targeting that space, they see a void they can fill.
Old 01-16-16, 06:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shambler
Oh I agree, I think Lexus is trying to reinvent itself, capture that emotion, illicit that lust that so many people fall for when buying a car.so

What the article I quoted states--and what I was trying to imply--was that there is a market for cars that put noise, vibration and harshness on the top shelf. That people do value comfort, tank/vault-like qualities and that they will pay handsomely for it.

You should read the article I linked about the Lincoln and their new "theme" which Lexus, at least at this point, has cornered for all intents and purposes.
I read the article that you posted, it was a good read. From what I got from it, the market for luxury cars is going to change in a few years, right now it's all about sport and handling. I also think as the article pointed out that self driving features is going to balance out the need for F-sport type handling.

But right now, what is selling for the most part is sport and a firmer ride. Things may change.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental