Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 03:00 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lexus doesn't pump simulated sound in. They use an intake sound generator that creates a real intake note and directs it back at the cabin. The LS F Sport has two actually. The base LS doesn't use one.

Every car doesn't have to be the same. Just because other cars aren't like the LS doesn't mean the LS has to be like other cars. I have no issue with the LS and ES continuing to be ride focused cars while the rest of the range moves more dynamic in direction.

What I don't want to see is the LS become more like say a 7 Series than an S Class in terms of ride. The good news is modern suspensions can make cars sharper without the ride trade off you always used to have.

As for being floaty, it's true that the LS isn't really a floaty car, never has been. It's actually pretty firm, it is just very smooth, refined with very low levels of NVH which contributes to its great ride.
Are you sure the GS F doesn't use an actual speaker? I've read several reviews that have said the sound is fake.
Old 01-17-16, 03:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Are you sure the GS F doesn't use an actual speaker? I've read several reviews that have said the sound is fake.
I know both the NX and GS F pump sound in via speakers.
Old 01-17-16, 03:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have read that it is a digitized sound via speakers. I would not be surprised if most manufacturers have added this feature. There is nothing really wrong with it IMO. I think it further supports the idea that sport and handing is what is currently trending.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-17-16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Can't speak to the GS-F but the GS and GS F Sport do not, and the LS F Sport does not.

This is the intake sound generator found on the IS, GS, and LS F Sport:

Old 01-17-16, 05:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

^^^An intake sound generator is also on the new RX F Sport.
Old 01-17-16, 05:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have read that it is a digitized sound via speakers. I would not be surprised if most manufacturers have added this feature. There is nothing really wrong with it IMO. I think it further supports the idea that sport and handing is what is currently trending.
Volkswagen and BMW do it too. I don't like it on principle. I'd rather stick with Jaguar and Mercedes' method of just making the exhaust really loud.
Old 01-17-16, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Volkswagen and BMW do it too. I don't like it on principle. I'd rather stick with Jaguar and Mercedes' method of just making the exhaust really loud.
Or Lexus' method of directing actual intake sound back at the cabin.
Old 01-17-16, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'n not sure I quite understand all this fascination with exhaust noise when people buy cars in this class for their effective sound insulation and the ability to ride quietly. If you want a car that rolls down the road like a sealed-up cocoon (the Lexus LS460 and Mercedes S550 are good examples of that), then why complain if the engine doesn't have a Mustang or Camaro-like exhaust burble?
Old 01-17-16, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'n not sure I quite understand all this fascination with exhaust noise when people buy cars in this class for their effective sound insulation and the ability to ride quietly. If you want a car that rolls down the road like a sealed-up cocoon (the Lexus LS460 and Mercedes S550 are good examples of that), then why complain if the engine doesn't have a Mustang or Camaro-like exhaust burble?
It depends on the mission statement of the car. Hence why Lexus has an intake sound creator on the GS, IS and LS & RX F Sports but not the ES, LS, or RX.
Old 01-17-16, 05:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'n not sure I quite understand all this fascination with exhaust noise when people buy cars in this class for their effective sound insulation and the ability to ride quietly.
Because mmarshall, the manufacturer's are trying to sell the feeling of "sport" and " handling" even though the car may not actually have it. The NX for example has a small control to turn up the digitized engine sound to make you "hear" more noise. You get both of both worlds from the manufacturer's perspective while being very cost effective.
Old 01-17-16, 07:11 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Or Lexus' method of directing actual intake sound back at the cabin.
I'm really not a big fan of that either. I actually plugged it up on a 991 I had.
Old 01-17-16, 07:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best way to hear or direct intake, exhaust notes into the cabin is to roll down those wonderful devices called power windows.

But for fans of digital enhancement; here's the newest gimmick: when that airline flight takes off, you can pay extra to sit closer to the engines or further away. But if you are unlucky not to be close enough to those beautiful sounds - you can pay extra to have the sounds of a jet engine piped right into your seat. Headphones extra
Old 01-17-16, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm really not a big fan of that either. I actually plugged it up on a 991 I had.
I wasn't at first either, I was going to delete it on my GS but I got used to it.
Old 01-18-16, 09:06 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

One thing not discussed relative to the Continental is price. Based on a discussion I had with a Lincoln (ok, Ford) sales manager, the car will not be priced like the other "flagship" sedans being discussed. Officially, Ford has said that prices will start under $50K. If you read the text on the Lincoln website as they discuss the features, many are noted as "available" which I read as "optional at extra cost". If they follow the pricing model the used on the MDX, that would put the top end fully loaded MSRP around $70K. That's $15K cheaper than the CT6 Platinum, and over $30K cheaper than an S class or a 7 series and about in line with an E class or 5 series.

Lincoln did not take a big financial risk with this car. The chassis is a stretched Fusion/MKZ and the engines are versions of existing units with small changes in displacement. Cadillac, on the other hand put a great amount of effort into the CT6 design to keep the weight down and increase stiffness. The CT6 will almost certainly be more entertaining to drive, but if Lincoln gets their design right it will be smoother and quieter.

Smooth and quiet is a big issue in China where they expect to sell this car as is the 3 liter engine since there is a big tax hit on anything larger. Mike Marshall and I might get our smooth and quiet car as a fringe benefit of the Chinese market.
Steve
Old 01-18-16, 07:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
One thing not discussed relative to the Continental is price. Based on a discussion I had with a Lincoln (ok, Ford) sales manager, the car will not be priced like the other "flagship" sedans being discussed. Officially, Ford has said that prices will start under $50K. If you read the text on the Lincoln website as they discuss the features, many are noted as "available" which I read as "optional at extra cost". If they follow the pricing model the used on the MDX, that would put the top end fully loaded MSRP around $70K. That's $15K cheaper than the CT6 Platinum, and over $30K cheaper than an S class or a 7 series and about in line with an E class or 5 series.

Lincoln did not take a big financial risk with this car. The chassis is a stretched Fusion/MKZ and the engines are versions of existing units with small changes in displacement. Cadillac, on the other hand put a great amount of effort into the CT6 design to keep the weight down and increase stiffness. The CT6 will almost certainly be more entertaining to drive, but if Lincoln gets their design right it will be smoother and quieter.

Smooth and quiet is a big issue in China where they expect to sell this car as is the 3 liter engine since there is a big tax hit on anything larger. Mike Marshall and I might get our smooth and quiet car as a fringe benefit of the Chinese market.
Steve
Great post on the price differential. So Lincoln is playing the Hyundai game and offering a large car with all the bells and whistles for the price of the GS, 5 Series and E Class. It is unfortunate they can't price it close to the 7 Series and LS, but with a transverse engine that would be impossible. They are probably smarter than Cadillac, trying to price similarly to the Germans and then having to offer heavy discounts to move cars.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental