Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 07:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm sure that Caddy and Lincoln would prefer to not have to discount their flagship sedans too much, but if history is an indicator, they will before too long. As mentioned, $10k is probably not out of the question.
Old 04-14-16, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The top end black label price is too much, but nobody will ever buy that anyways. Otherwise pricing seems okay. It will be steeply discounted also.
Agreed the Black Label prices are too high. I briefly looked at a couple Black Label MKCs recently (didn't write it up), and I thought the sticker-prices were outrageous for a compact 4-cylinder SUV that size....and I didn't think the interiors were any more impressive (despite some different trim-patterns) than the regular series. The Black Label status, though, does give you some nice ownership-perks, though...but it was stuff I could easily live without.

My guess is within 6 months you can buy one 10k off.
That will probably depend on how well (or how poorly) the Continental does against the CT6 and other competitors. If I like the car enough after a review, and if they are letting base models go between 40-50K (essentially 10K off), might even take one home...who knows? But definitely not before reviewing the CT6.
Old 04-14-16, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Are these both full-size FWD sedans?
Welcome back.....have't seen you post for a while.

Both are considered full-size by today's American-market standards....but drivetrains differ.

The Continental, like its MKS predecessor, is essentially a slightly stretched version of the FWD Taurus platform, with a V6. Also, like the MKS, it has an AWD option.

The CT6, on the other hand, is done on the all-new GM Omega platform specifically done for the CT6, though it may (?) also be shared with some future large Buick sedans. It comes in both RWD and AWD versions, unlike its XTS predecessor, which was FWD/AWD. It has more engine-choices than the Continental, which comes on N/A and twin-turbo V6s. The CT6, like the Continental, has regular and twin-turbo V6s, but also a base turbo 2.0L four.
Old 04-14-16, 09:15 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This car did not transition from concept properly at all. It has lost all of the machismo.
Old 04-14-16, 10:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm sure that Caddy and Lincoln would prefer to not have to discount their flagship sedans too much, but if history is an indicator, they will before too long. As mentioned, $10k is probably not out of the question.
I looked at the CT6 for Cadillac in Canada. There is already a $2000 incentive and the vehicle has yet to hit the showroom. Perhaps it's not tracking well internally within Cadillac.
Old 04-14-16, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
It has lost all of the machismo.
How? This is not intend to be a macho-vehicle, but a classic full-size luxury car of non-sporting pretensions...something that the current market in the U.S. is notably short of, outside of the Kia K900, Hyundai Equus, and Lexus LS460.
Old 04-14-16, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How? This is not intend to be a macho-vehicle, but a classic full-size luxury car of non-sporting pretensions...something that the current market in the U.S. is notably short of, outside of the Kia K900, Hyundai Equus, and Lexus LS460.
Lincoln is calling their new theme, "Quiet Luxury" Sort of like Buick
Old 04-14-16, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lincoln is calling their new theme, "Quiet Luxury" Sort of like Buick
Lincolns are supposed to be quiet. Thats nothing new....simply part of a luxury image. If one wants noise, they can go buy a Miata or Jeep Wrangler.
Old 04-14-16, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I looked at the CT6 for Cadillac in Canada. There is already a $2000 incentive and the vehicle has yet to hit the showroom. Perhaps it's not tracking well internally within Cadillac.
The Canadian market, though, is not the same as that of the U.S., for several reasons.
Old 04-14-16, 01:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Lincolns are supposed to be quiet. Thats nothing new....simply part of a luxury image. If one wants noise, they can go buy a Miata or Jeep Wrangler.
You miss what the term "Quiet Luxury" means as a definition for Lincoln. It does not mean low audible decibel quiet.
Old 04-14-16, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

You miss what they mean by "quiet luxury". They're not saying the car is quiet, they're saying the sort of luxury is quiet. It's not brash, it doesn't have an in your face attitude.

"Quiet wealth"
Old 04-14-16, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You miss what they mean by "quiet luxury". They're not saying the car is quiet, they're saying the sort of luxury is quiet. It's not brash, it doesn't have an in your face attitude.

"Quiet wealth"
OK....I think see what you and Jill are getting at. But, in the sense you are using the term, a better adjective might be "subdued" rather than quiet.
Old 04-14-16, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

OK....I think see what you and Jill are getting at. But, in the sense you are using the term, a better adjective might be "subdued" rather than quiet.
No, Lincoln refers to their new theme as "Quiet Luxury"
Old 04-14-16, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, Lincoln refers to their new theme as "Quiet Luxury"
They've actually used that term before, along with other themes...."Travel Well", and "American Luxury". In my book, though, "quiet" means low-decibels, though I understand how it can be used to mean subdued.

BTW...if you (or anybody else reading this thread) gets a chance to try out or test-drive a Continental, by all means, give us a report. I plan to review one ASAP......along with the CT6.
Old 04-14-16, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

"Quiet wealth"
I don't mind the "quiet luxury" theme. No doubt, a lot of thought went into it. I'm sure the narration in their ads will use words like understated, refined or something similar.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental