Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 06:09 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen it in person and don't care for how it looks, but the interior seems to be a step up for Lincoln. The price is quite competitive. I don't see it luring BMW Mercedes Audi or Lexus buyers but it has a market.
Old 04-24-16, 12:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Lincoln’s Biggest Problem is Itself; Can the Continental Fix That?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/lincoln-...160001280.html

2017 Lincoln Continentals arrive at dealerships this fall, and when they do, Lincoln needs them to move—quickly. With a starting price of $46,000 for a front-wheel drive model with the 3.7-liter V6 out of the current MKZ, there’s a chance that Lincoln will get what it needs, but is it what it wants?

It’s hard to say what Lincoln actually wants, because as a brand, it’s all over the place. On the one hand, execs are doing their damnedest to differentiate themselves from the competition in terms of image. While other brands are playing up the sporting qualities of its cars, even if they don’t have any, Lincoln is making a play to be the final word in quiet, classy luxury. Lincoln is not attempting to outpace the Germans, and it’s not going in a million different directions with styling like the Japanese, the brand simply wants to be comfortable, and that’s a whole lot harder to sell than you may think.

While the competition isn’t making things easier, the two biggest challenges facing Lincoln actually come from within. First, the brand hasn’t managed to differentiate themselves enough from Ford to be thought of as anything other than a gussied up ride from big blue. People don’t think of Cadillac as a fancy Chevrolet, they think of it as a Cadillac, and that’s because execs went all in on re-defining the brand.

You know what people do think of as a fancy Chevrolet? Buick, and Buick faces all the same problems that Lincoln does, which isn’t good, because Lincoln is aiming to compete with Cadillac like it used to. For Lincoln to really be successful, it’ll have to be different from Ford inside and out, not just in marketing materials.

Second, Lincoln has to come to terms with the fact that it’s made a ton of mistakes. This is highly unlikely, because in the automotive industry mistakes are hardly ever acknowledged, they’re just swept under the rug, and never mentioned again, except after the punch bowl is empty at the company Christmas party.

When everyone has tied one on, the skeletons get dragged out of the closet and things like the MKS are talked about…honestly. But that’s behind closed doors, and any utterance of the inadequacy of the products can be chalked up to the strength of refreshments being served. In the light of day teeth are gritted, smiles are forced, and everyone at Lincoln stands behind their work. It’s quite possible that in the Continental, they have a vehicle they’re actually be proud of. However, they have the monumental task of convincing consumers that this time it’s for real, not like the MKZ before it, or even the LS before that.

Given the availability of a twin-turbocharged, 400-horsepower, 3.0-liter V6 in the lineup, and 30-way(!) adjustable seats, Lincoln might still have a chance. Might…
Old 04-24-16, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

2017 Lincoln Continentals arrive at dealerships this fall
Hopefully, it won't be that long. I've got review-requests waiting LOL.

and when they do, Lincoln needs them to move—quickly.
Time will tell, but my initial guess is that they will....at least for a while. Based at least on my (admittedly) very limited exposure to it so far, it seems much better-done than the ill-fated MKS. I'll save any more comments, though, for a review.

With a starting price of $46,000 for a front-wheel drive model with the 3.7-liter V6 out of the current MKZ, there’s a chance that Lincoln will get what it needs, but is it what it wants?
That seems like somewhat of a price-drop. The Lincoln people at the D.C. auto show initially said about 52K for a base model. Well, so much the better for the customer/buyer.

On the one hand, execs are doing their damnedest to differentiate themselves from the competition in terms of image.
Except for the fact, though, that Lincoln generally sells and services out of the same buildings/facilities as Ford, I don't really see image as one of Lincoln's big problems. Until the nicely-done MKC and the all-new MKX came along, it was simply more of a substance problem than image. Lincoln has always been known as an upscale/luxury division, ever since it first became part of Ford in 1922. And even the MKC, while very nice in some areas, isn't a perfect attempt, ether.....it could use some more solidly-done materials inside, like the better-done MKX.

While other brands are playing up the sporting qualities of its cars, even if they don’t have any, Lincoln is making a play to be the final word in quiet, classy luxury. Lincoln is not attempting to outpace the Germans, and it’s not going in a million different directions with styling like the Japanese, the brand simply wants to be comfortable, and that’s a whole lot harder to sell than you may think.
I don't agree that comfort is difficult to sell nowadays. The reai problem, IMO, is that there simply aren't enough of vehicles of this type in today's marketplace TO sell. The market is chock full of upscale sport-oriented sedans, coupes, and crossovers with large wheels, low-profile tires, firm sport-oriented suspensions, firmly-bolstered seats, quick steering, etc....... But, outside of a relative handful of vehicles like the Kia K900, Hyundai Equus, Mercedes S550, Acura RLX, Lexus ES350, and some versions of the Lexus LS460, few of today's vehicles are designed strictly for soft-riding comfort rather then sportiness. Multiple drive-modes (Comfort/Normal/Sport) for the suspensions, of course, help somewhat, as do engineering tricks like GM's Magna-Ride shocks, but even those don't change the firmness of the seat padding/bolsters or wheel/tire characteristics. IF the Continental can bring back the luxo-cruising road manners, under an American nameplate, that has been missing from the new-car market for a number of years now, IMO it will have truly accomplished something. Same for the upcoming Cadillac CT6.

While the competition isn’t making things easier, the two biggest challenges facing Lincoln actually come from within. First, the brand hasn’t managed to differentiate themselves enough from Ford to be thought of as anything other than a gussied up ride from big blue.
This I can at least partially agree with.....see my earlier comments on how Ford and Lincoln share the same dealer-faculties.

People don’t think of Cadillac as a fancy Chevrolet, they think of it as a Cadillac, and that’s because execs went all in on re-defining the brand.
Cadillac and Chevy, in some ways, have actually reversed roles over time. At one time, Chevies, in general, except for purpose-designed high-performance models like the Corvette and Camaro SS, delivered a rather Ho-Hum driving experience, and Cadillacs were really luxurious classy-rides. Now, Chevy produces dome vehicles, for less money, that actually out-Cadillac Cadillac itself in the classy-driving mode (the new Impala is probably the best example...its comfort/road-manners combination is just stunning)...while most Cadillac sedans and coupes have become basically just American BMWs with stiff suspensions. .

You know what people do think of as a fancy Chevrolet? Buick,
Unfortunately, as of several years ago, that perception is no longer reality. Even among models very similar or even identical under the skin (like the Trax/Encore) you can tell when you are in or driving the Buick. The one main exception, once again, is probably the new Chevy Impala....on the road, its driving characteristics simply clobbers that of both its Buick and Cadillac competition.

and Buick faces all the same problems that Lincoln does, which isn’t good, because Lincoln is aiming to compete with Cadillac like it used to.
Buick, though, right now has an ace in the hole that neither Lincoln or Cadillac has, right now....a much better reputation for reliability. Buick has consistently ranked as the most-reliable American nameplate in numerous surveys. Cadillac, especially, has languished at or near the bottom.

For Lincoln to really be successful, it’ll have to be different from Ford inside and out, not just in marketing materials.
Agreed. Once again, they can probably start (or at least continue) by having separate dealerships. They already started with the MKC and new MKX...and now the Continental.

Second, Lincoln has to come to terms with the fact that it’s made a ton of mistakes. This is highly unlikely, because in the automotive industry mistakes are hardly ever acknowledged, they’re just swept under the rug, and never mentioned again, except after the punch bowl is empty at the company Christmas party.

When everyone has tied one on, the skeletons get dragged out of the closet and things like the MKS are talked about…honestly. But that’s behind closed doors, and any utterance of the inadequacy of the products can be chalked up to the strength of refreshments being served. In the light of day teeth are gritted, smiles are forced, and everyone at Lincoln stands behind their work. It’s quite possible that in the Continental, they have a vehicle they’re actually be proud of. However, they have the monumental task of convincing consumers that this time it’s for real, not like the MKZ before it, or even the LS before that.
+1. You said it...............

At the D.C. Auto Show, when the Lincoln MKS and Cadillac XTS were first displayed a number of years ago, I predicted, at the show, back then, to the very faces of the Cadillac and Lincoln reps, that these two cars were going to classic-fail. I explained, in detail, why they weren't suitable replacements for their two predecessors....the Town Car and DeVille/DTS. Of course, it went right in one set of ears and right out the others....auto marketers can be some of the most stubborn people in the business world. They simply could not (or would not) understand what i was talking about. But time proved me correct....they DID fail, the MKS more so than the XTS

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-16 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-24-16, 06:45 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about Lincolns, but the new Continental is one dashing saloon. Bentley-esque looks and Merc-like interior. 30-way seats!
Old 04-24-16, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The Continental should be a lot of car for the money, but the challenge it is up against is what is ******* every other carmaker. The country is SUV/CUV crazy right now, so sedans are becoming secondary. Lincoln has done fairly well with the MKZ and MKC. They now need to come out with a Navigator that knocks it out of the park. The sales successes of those models will allow them to continue to develop their other model lines. The RX has done it for Lexus for years.

Lincoln is not living in the 60's and 70's where SUVs were nonexistent. They are competing in a different marketplace now.
Old 04-24-16, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2

Lincoln has done fairly well with the MKZ and MKC.
I think you meant the MKX. The mid-size MKZ sedan did not sell well at all.

Lincoln is not living in the 60's and 70's where SUVs were nonexistent. They are competing in a different marketplace now.
True, but they still need a good sedan flagship. The MKS just didn't cut it.

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
but the new Continental is one dashing saloon.
For those of you (particularly in America) who are not aware of it, "saioon" is British-speak for "sedan".

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-24-16, 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you meant the MKX. The mid-size MKZ sedan did not sell well at all.

True, but they still need a good sedan flagship. The MKS just didn't cut it.
Yes, MKX, which just shows how confusing their new model naming is.
Old 04-24-16, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're not the first one to complain about alphabet-soup naming from car manufacturers.
Old 04-24-16, 07:56 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

You're not the first one to complain about alphabet-soup naming from car manufacturers.
Yes, Infiniti is just as bad.
Old 04-24-16, 07:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I recently looked at the new MKX as a replacement for our Q5. A very nice vehicle inside and out that's received some good reviews, although past reliability issues are often mentioned. When it comes to spending around $50k or more for one, I don't know if I could pull the trigger.
Old 04-24-16, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I recently looked at the new MKX as a replacement for our Q5. A very nice vehicle inside and out that's received some good reviews, although past reliability issues are often mentioned. When it comes to spending around $50k or more for one, I don't know if I could pull the trigger.
Have you checked out the new Lexus RX? It will (probably) avoid the reliability issues you could face with the MKX. If you can get past that (IMO) ludicrous grille, it actually rides and drives quite refined and nicely......much better, IMO, than the smaller, more uncomfortable NX.

I did full-reviews, BTW, on all three.....the MKX, RX, and NX.
Old 04-24-16, 10:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Have you checked out the new Lexus RX? It will (probably) avoid the reliability issues you could face with the MKX. If you can get past that (IMO) ludicrous grille, it actually rides and drives quite refined and nicely......much better, IMO, than the smaller, more uncomfortable NX.

I did full-reviews, BTW, on all three.....the MKX, RX, and NX.
The new RX and NX are not my cup of tea at all. I can't get past the exterior styling (including the grill) of either one.
Old 04-25-16, 10:53 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The new MKX is a major step for Lincoln and may prove to be more important than the Continental. It is a direct competitor to the RX and does several things better than the RX. It rides better (both were on 20" wheels), it is quieter, and with the 2.7 turbo it has much better acceleration. Styling is a personal choice, but the MKX conservative style doesn't provoke the love it or hate it reaction of the RX.

Downsides for the MKX when I consider my next car are reliability and depreciation. Ford can manage the depreciation by subsidising lease rates, but I'm concerned about the reliability issue.
Steve
Old 04-25-16, 11:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The new MKX is a major step for Lincoln and may prove to be more important than the Continental. It is a direct competitor to the RX and does several things better than the RX. It rides better (both were on 20" wheels), it is quieter, and with the 2.7 turbo it has much better acceleration. Styling is a personal choice, but the MKX conservative style doesn't provoke the love it or hate it reaction of the RX.

Downsides for the MKX when I consider my next car are reliability and depreciation. Ford can manage the depreciation by subsidising lease rates, but I'm concerned about the reliability issue.
Steve
I believe in their rent Road Test CR rated it above the RX and others in the segment. They did mention that reliability hasn't been a strong suit for Lincoln and still remains to be seen.
Old 04-25-16, 12:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I believe in their rent Road Test CR rated it above the RX and others in the segment. They did mention that reliability hasn't been a strong suit for Lincoln and still remains to be seen.
i think brands other than toyota and honda could have stunning reliability for years and cr would still say 'it remains to be seen'

just anecdoes, but my ford explorer - 9 years, 105K mi. and NOTHING went wrong. ex's F150, bunch of years and mikes and NOTHING went wrong. my 15 mo. old Jeep Grand Cherokee - so far, nothing wrong, pure awesome, but hey, Jeep's reliability stinks, right?

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental