Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What FWD transverse sedan at a price point of$60k has ever had significant success?
The FWD Cadillac DeVille/DTS series with the transverse V8s, which could top 60K with options, had a successful production run for over 20 years. This new Continental is basically appealing to the same basic group of car-buyers that formerly the DTS (i.e. aging, conservative, and comfort-loving), only with a different nameplate. They aren't going to want an Autobahn stormer like a Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7 series that has triple-digit stability and handling.
Old 09-11-16, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The FWD Cadillac DeVille/DTS series with the transverse V8s, which could top 60K with options, had a successful production run for over 20 years. This new Continental is basically appealing to the same basic group of car-buyers that formerly the DTS (i.e. aging, conservative, and comfort-loving), only with a different nameplate. They aren't going to want an Autobahn stormer like a Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7 series that has triple-digit stability and handling.
The DTS/Deville was never at this price point.

Remember in the late 90s the LS400 topped out around $60k. The DeVille was never in that price league.

This vehicle needs to be on a bespoke platform and needs to be RWD to be taken seriously.

This is just what the Continental was when my dad bought his in 1990, a Lincoln version of a FWD Ford Taurus, Ford has learned nothing. At least Cadillac gets it.
Old 09-11-16, 07:19 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You will agree it looks better than its MKS predecessor, won't you?

yes, definitely an improvement if you compare it to its predecessor.
Old 09-11-16, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Remember in the late 90s the LS400 topped out around $60k. The DeVille was never in that price league.

This vehicle needs to be on a bespoke platform and needs to be RWD to be taken seriously.

This is just what the Continental was when my dad bought his in 1990, a Lincoln version of a FWD Ford Taurus, Ford has learned nothing. At least Cadillac gets it.
Both Lincoln and Cadillac are still in the last decade with their awful infotainment systems. Touch screen interface in the new Continental is so 2006. That alone makes it DOA.
Old 09-11-16, 07:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

So why would someone buy this at almost twice the cost of a brand new Avalon?

I like the looks of the Lincoln but $76k you gotta be out of your mind lol.
Old 09-11-16, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

This car should be $60k absolutely loaded...
Old 09-11-16, 07:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Both Lincoln and Cadillac are still in the last decade with their awful infotainment systems. Touch screen interface in the new Continental is so 2006. That alone makes it DOA.
I completely disagree that touchscreen interfaces are a thing of the last decade. Tesla, JLR w/ their improved InControl Touch Pro, and FCA are the most notable makers still using touchscreens. I prefer the **** myself but if the system works properly I have no complaints either way.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So why would someone buy this at almost twice the cost of a brand new Avalon?

I like the looks of the Lincoln but $76k you gotta be out of your mind lol.
Once you get up in that price range the law of diminishing returns starts kicking in pretty hard. In any event, a fully loaded Continental Black Label has far nicer interior materials, a far longer list of available equipment, better technology, AWD, and is much more powerful than a top-level Avalon. $76k is damn pricey for a Lincoln (aka virtually guaranteed depreciation disaster) though, no doubt.
Old 09-11-16, 07:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I am going to have to disagree with some on here. This is not a replacement for a DTS or Town Car. The car is smaller in person than you think. It has some serious style and the interior looks pretty damn impressive.

In a strange way, this car is what the MKz should be. You realize how poorly done the interior of the MKz is just by looking at this.

Interesting, the fuel economy rating did not seem much better than a V8 Ls with its 10 year old power train.
Old 09-11-16, 07:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't say I'm a fan of that Jaguar-like grill, maybe a holdover from Fords' days with Jag. It's a kinda underwhelming style on the outside but probably more than enough for traditional Ford/Lincoln loyalists. Not my flavor
but it's nice to see a Detroit brand taking a shot at the market and especially with Lincoln. Now the question is: who's the competition. I mean this is getting very uncomfortably close to an Audi A6 and its
3.0 tfsi and awd. (from what I can see as the nearest fwd platform).

On styling alone, I'll take the Audi and the E class. But as far as a Ford luxury flagship, it might be uncomfortable now for the designers at the blue oval, because you've got up and coming flagship-class cars that are going
to cost more but will also offer more - like a rwd platform with the option of awd, and of course a V8 (hello Hyundai Genesis).
Old 09-11-16, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I reviewed a 2011 DTS that listed well up in the 50s (had a base price of 51K). They would hit 60K loaded.

IMO, not for the group of people it is targeted at (Ex-DTS and Town Car buyers). But, we'll see. If it doesn't sell, maybe you will have a point.

Well, at least the RWD CT6, like its FWD XTS predecessor, has an AWD option for those who need it. Caddy's biggest mistake with the CT6, IMO, was not putting a V6 in the base version, using a 2.0T four. The Continental wisely avoids that error.

(Admittedly, though, the CT6 is not alone......some other larger premium-grde sedans today, like the A6, are also using base 2.0T 4's)

It's true that this new Continental has the same basic V6/FWD/transverse-layout as your Dad's 1990 model did (in fact, the 1990 Continental WAS a stretched Taurus platform). But, even without seeing it (yet) in person, one can tell that there is a vast difference inside on the new one.....plus, the front end on the new one has Jaguar-type classiness. No offense (and no offense to your Dad)...but I thought Ford interiors in the 1990s were a joke, as was the case with most American-designed vehicles then. Except for maybe the then-Cadillac STS/SLS/ElDorado and Lincoln Town Car, almost all of the American interiors back then were cheap plastic junk.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-16 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 07:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The car starts at 44K in the US, the OP posted Canadian prices which confused everyone. I guess its ok for 44k.
Old 09-11-16, 08:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Folks, you all need to stop worrying about Fwd vs Rwd.

This vehicle as a brand does not really compete with MB, Audi, or upper Lexus models. It's distinctly American. Is it more impressive than a GS or E class or 5 series, YES. Does it compare, not really. will people buy it over the GS, E class or 5 series, not likely.

I believe the next ES will cover this segment of vehicle. It's strange but I think people should see it in person and then come to their conclusions.
Old 09-11-16, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Folks, you all need to stop worrying about Fwd vs Rwd.
Come on....this is a car forum. FWD/RWD/AWD arguments are part of life here.

This vehicle as a brand does not really compete with MB, Audi, or upper Lexus models. It's distinctly American. Is it more impressive than a GS or E class or 5 series, YES. Does it compare, not really. will people buy it over the GS, E class or 5 series, not likely.
Agreed. That's what I said, several times, in earlier posts. This car is probably aimed at the ex-DTS/Town Car folks who just didn't like the XTS or MKS.

I believe the next ES will cover this segment of vehicle. It's strange but I think people should see it in person and then come to their conclusions.
We'll see. Right now, the ES350 clearly competes with the Lincoln MKZ sedan......one step below a Continental.
Old 09-11-16, 08:54 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The Continental covers a big spread in price and configuration. For about $46K, it is a FWD with a 3.7 liter 300 hp V-6. That makes it a competitor for the ES350. Move up to a 3 liter turbo with 400 hp and AWD it gets to the low $60K price range with pretty good equipment levels, roughly comparable to the base LS460 AWD which costs more than $75K. Fully loaded (except for Black Label) and it is just over $72K, much less than the CT6 Platinum which is almost $90K.

As to the transverse FWD layout, once you get to AWD I doubt that it makes much difference to the Continental target buyer. The latest technology allows amazing things to be done. The new Focus RS is basically an economy FWD car, but in RS trim it even has a "drift" mode which sends about 90% of the power to the rear wheels. The Continental is not a sport sedan, it is targeted at "quiet luxury" and as such if Ford gets the AWD drive right, it should be just fine.

I think the key to the Continental success if for Ford to get the luxury touches right. No feeling of "cheapness" in switches, controls, or materials. Having tried the MKX 22 way driver seat (and loved it) the Continental 30 way seat should take it way beyond the CT6 feel. Because the Continental does not have any of the CT6 high tech materials, it will undoubtably be heavier than the CT6 and intentionally less sporty. To succeed, it must be much smoother and quieter than the CT6 with a nicer interior. Are they going to sell a lot? Not likely in today's market. The purpose is to be a "halo" for the MKX and MKC so they will be considered as "luxury" brand.

My last Lincoln was a 2001 LS which I thought was the beginning of a return for Lincoln. Ford got the car right, but screwed up the marketing. I just hope the Continental is not another LS.
Steve
Old 09-11-16, 09:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't get Lincoln - just kill the brand its worthless.
Half *** effort like this from the Ford parts bin will never work!
6-speed Auto with FWD for $65k is Laughable on a brand new Model.

The last nice car they had was a 98 Lincoln LS - looked great back then and looks way better than this Conti, RWD, V8 option etc.

You have too many great cars out these days from established luxury players plus all the new models from "wanna be" Luxury such as Volvo, Acura, Caddy, Infiniti, Genesis, Lincoln.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-11-16 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental