Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You and I may disagree on this, but I don't think Ford would have spent the kind of development money it did on the MKC, MKX, Continental, and the MKX's facelifting this year if they weren't trying to get serious about Lincoln. The next big project, of course, is probably to get a string of Lincoln-specific dealerships.
Thats exactly my point, I don't think they've spent nearly the development money on those vehicles they should have, they're all just warmed over Ford vehicles and that shows through when you sit in them and drive them. GM has invested WAY more into Cadillac.
Old 09-13-16, 02:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you see my comments about Chrysler, above? (I think I was probably editing/adding them as you were typing your response).
Yes, I was already a typing a response before you posted, but I find the answer to be quite easy if we start at the time of the DaimlerChrysler merger. Daimler bought Chrysler to complement Mercedes on the lower end. While Chrysler had moments of seemingly upscale aspirations (remember the ME-412 concept?) the German management at the time squashed those hopes and fired many of the brilliant people working at the company at the time. Then came the economy crash.

Under FCA, the answer is even more clear. FCA is on a shoestring budget and knows that taking Chrysler upmarket or relaunching Imperial would require too much time, money, AND would not take advantage of the global presence of brands like Maserati and Alfa Romeo that are already in the stable. Even with Cadillac getting massive investment, it's very clear they still have a perception issue. Chrysler's perception issue is twice as bad. If FCA was just flush with cash I think such a thing would be considered, but now is certainly not the time to be bothering with that effort.
Old 09-13-16, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats exactly my point, I don't think they've spent nearly the development money on those vehicles they should have, they're all just warmed over Ford vehicles and that shows through when you sit in them and drive them. GM has invested WAY more into Cadillac.
Even Cadillacs, IMO, aren't necessarily that much better than lower-priced Buicks and Chevys. The Impala, for example, is truly an outstanding large sedan for its price....though its dash contours take a little getting used to. If you haven't yet sampled one, I highly recommend that you try out a V6 version. It's hard to find anything else for the money that drives like that.
Old 09-13-16, 03:04 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
I tend to agree that a major manufacturer needs to be either "premium only" as in Mercedes and BMW, etc. Or have an upmarket brand for people to aspire to. Otherwise if you are just an economy, lower rung automaker you loose a large number of customers as they become affluent and want to move up. If Lincoln was truly a premier brand people aspired to own (and I don't think Cadillac is there either, but closer than Lincoln) it would benefit Ford as a whole. It does sadden me to see these brands only a shadow of what they once were as far as prestige is concerned. For some reason I really want the Continental to succeed, but if it was my $70k+ I was spending I am fairly certain it would go elsewhere.
But Mercedes and BMW are not "premium only" in most of their markets. Mercedes has A class and B class cars in Europe that compete with Ford Focus (and even Fiesta). There are drab interiors for taxi use and very small engines. BMW also has a line of small cars and has even transitioned to FWD.

Ford lost its way for a while. In 2000 they established a Premier Automobile Group that included Jaguar, Volvo, and Land Rover. The first domestic entry in this class was the Lincoln LS sedan which was based on the Jag S type. It was widely praised by the auto press as the beginning of Lincoln's rebirth. That is when they got lost. The Premier Auto Group died and along with it the follow-on Lincolns. When Alan Mulally took over, he sold off the foreign brands so that Ford did not need to take bail-out money from the government, and started rebuilding Ford into a profitable company. On of the elements is that higher end cars (and pickup trucks) generally have higher profit margins than economy or mainstream family cars. Ford needs Lincoln to be highly profitable so the F150 doesn't carry all the load. It is not easy to re-establish a luxury reputation. Cadillac has poured a huge effort into advance tech and very nice cars and yet is having difficulty selling them.

I sincerely hope both Lincoln and Cadillac succeed.
Steve
Old 09-13-16, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Even Cadillacs, IMO, aren't necessarily that much better than lower-priced Buicks and Chevys. The Impala, for example, is truly an outstanding large sedan for its price....though its dash contours take a little getting used to. If you haven't yet sampled one, I highly recommend that you try out a V6 version. It's hard to find anything else for the money that drives like that.
I disagree entirely. If you compare say, an XTS to an Impala then perhaps, but if you compare a CT6 to an Impala, the additional R&D they invested in the CT6 is very apparent, its a bespoke platform, RWD, Cadillac specific engines. Cadillac also has invested in their own infotainment setup (love it or hate it) while Ford just reuses Sync and MyFordTouch in Lincolns and it all looks exactly the same.

The steps taken to differentiate Cadillac from the rest of GM's lineup are much clearer than the steps taken to separate Ford from Lincoln. Multiple vehicles on Cadillac RWD platforms vs none at Lincoln...
Old 09-13-16, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I disagree entirely. If you compare say, an XTS to an Impala then perhaps, but if you compare a CT6 to an Impala,
Agreed.....probably more so with the Impala/XTS than the CT6. Even so, the CT6, being RWD, is more of an Autobahn stormer, particularly with the TT V6, but, IMO at least, the Impala was actually more pleasant in everyday, low-to-medium-speed driving. And the particular CT6 I sampled had tires that had flat-spotted and took about 10 minutes or so to warm up and get the shimmies out. I don't know if all CT6s use that certain brand of tire or not...though there are two different wheel/tire sizes.

Again, I'll say......if you have not sampled a V6-equipped Impala, by all means, do so...there are several Chevy shops not far from you. Then you may see what I'm talking about. Consumer Reports was also floored with their Impala. They gave it 95 out of 100 on a road-test, unheard of for a mainstream Chevy sedan...those kind of road-test scores are usually racked up by cars like the LS460 and S-550.

the additional R&D they invested in the CT6 is very apparent, its a bespoke platform, RWD, Cadillac specific engines. Cadillac also has invested in their own infotainment setup (love it or hate it) while Ford just reuses Sync and MyFordTouch in Lincolns and it all looks exactly the same.
Well, it wasn't like a totally new effort from scratch. GM already had spent earlier money on the CTS's RWD Omega, Sigma, and Sigma II platforms, and the CT6 basically came from a revised version of the Omega platform. Same with the Continental.....a fair amount of that came from a stretched version of the Taurus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-16 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 05:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Seriously, nobody really cares about the Impala.
Old 09-13-16, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I tend to agree that a major manufacturer needs to be either "premium only" as in Mercedes and BMW, etc. Or have an upmarket brand for people to aspire to. Otherwise if you are just an economy, lower rung automaker you loose a large number of customers as they become affluent and want to move up. If Lincoln was truly a premier brand people aspired to own (and I don't think Cadillac is there either, but closer than Lincoln) it would benefit Ford as a whole. It does sadden me to see these brands only a shadow of what they once were as far as prestige is concerned. For some reason I really want the Continental to succeed, but if it was my $70k+ I was spending I am fairly certain it would go elsewhere.
Toyota and Lexus kind of overlap at some price points. Lexus is to Toyota what Lincoln is to Ford. What is the big deal?
Old 09-13-16, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Seriously, nobody really cares about the Impala.
Yes, that's right......just like there's never a need to use your parking brake, either.
Old 09-13-16, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For some reason I really want the Continental to succeed, but if it was my $70k+ I was spending I am fairly certain it would go elsewhere.
At 70K, I would agree...that's a lot of money. (I wouldn't spend 70K on any vehicle LOL). But, lower-line versions at 45 or 50K may be another matter.......and it's nice that, in a base Continental, you don't have to put up with a 2.0 turbo four like in the base Cadillac CT6.
Old 09-13-16, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, that's right......just like there's never a need to use your parking brake, either.
I have said before you like to push GM, it's obvious. The Impala maybe a nice vehicle, but reading things on this forum and watching the press and incentives, it seems nobody honesty really cares about the Impala.

As for the parking brake, I never really use it. Never have I heard or seen an issue without it being used. I doubt its a big enough of an issue, bit that is for the other thread.
Old 09-13-16, 06:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

At 70K, I would agree...that's a lot of money. (I wouldn't spend 70K on any vehicle LOL). But, lower-line versions at 45 or 50K may be another matter.......and it's nice that, in a base Continental, you don't have to put up with a 2.0 turbo four like in the base Cadillac CT6.
What's the big deal with the 2.0t. The GS has one, so does the E class and the 5 series has a 4 banger. The CT6 2.0t weighs less than the IS200t, it's a astonishing what GM has done for the CT6 and it should be commended.
Old 09-13-16, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have said before you like to push GM, it's obvious.
Yeah, I'm pushing GM.......that's why I came very close to buying a Lincoln MKC last year. The only thing that stopped me was its poor reliability record and questionable build quality. And there's no guarantee that my next vehicle will be from GM....especially the way Buick is going SUV-crazy and is screwing up their sedan marketing.

And, next year, I may not be in much of a position to go shopping....it looks like my other knee (not the one that was injured and operated on last June) is pretty much on borrowed time from loss of cartilage. Though not painful or preventing me from walking, it's somewhat deformed now, and, in time, is going to need either a partial or total knee-replacement. That will take some more recuperation and therapy, just like I had this summer.
Old 09-13-16, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I'm pushing GM.......that's why I came very close to buying a Lincoln MKC last year. The only thing that stopped me was its poor reliability record and questionable build quality. And there's no guarantee that my next vehicle will be from GM....especially the way Buick is going SUV-crazy and is screwing up their sedan marketing.

And, next year, I may not be in much of a position to go shopping....it looks like my other knee (not the one that was injured and operated on last June) is pretty much on borrowed time from loss of cartilage. Though not painful or preventing me from walking, it's somewhat deformed now, and, in time, is going to need either a partial or total knee-replacement. That will take some more recuperation and therapy, just like I had this summer.
What is wrong with the Verano? I figured you would keep it for at least 10 years.
Old 09-13-16, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What is wrong with the Verano? I figured you would keep it for at least 10 years.
Nothing, but I've never kept any car for 10 years....5 to 6 is about average for me in the last couple of decades. And, if my knee replacement next year (or whenever I have it) doesn't go well, I may need something with a higher entry/exit height.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental