Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They don't have to sell cars to "survive" is my point. You make a lot of comments about decisions made by these "companies" leading to failure, when that isn't automatically the case. Lincolns sales, or even Cadillacs sales are so insignificant compared to mother Ford or GM that it really doesn't matter. It all depends on whether these companies want to remain in the luxury space.
I'll let you have the last word on this discussion (as I sometimes do with Jill)....even if I don't totally agree with it. Not worth talking about it all evening. For our purposes on the forum, Allen K was probably right......the car itself is more important than the marketing and corporate politics behind it.

(all this talk, though, makes me even more eager to finally check one out...even more than with the CT6)
Old 09-15-16, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Seriously, nobody really cares about the Impala.
Tell that to KBB. It ranks #1 on the Most Comfortable Cars Under 30K list.

http://www.kbb.com/car-reviews-and-n.../2100000621-1/
Old 09-15-16, 11:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

C&D ranks the segment as they see it, Maxima, Avalon, Impala and Lacrosse in that order.
Old 09-15-16, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
C&D ranks the segment as they see it, Maxima, Avalon, Impala and Lacrosse in that order.
C&D tends to rank vehicles from a sport-oriented point of view, and, in that sense, they are correct.....the Maxima probably is on top. And, of course, they have never liked Buicks......except for the Regal GS.
Old 09-15-16, 01:33 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

What FWD transverse sedan at a price point of$60k has ever had significant success?
acura RL haha didn't even have success at a lower price point
Old 09-15-16, 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
C&D tends to rank vehicles from a sport-oriented point of view, and, in that sense, they are correct.....the Maxima probably is on top. And, of course, they have never liked Buicks......except for the Regal GS.
mmarshall has had a love for the Impala ever since it was released. Car & Driver did a big comparison a few ago and the Avalon still beat it. mmarshall likes the Impala, good for him but like I said earlier, nobody really takes the Impala seriously.

Originally Posted by pman6
The RL has done fine for Acura.
Old 09-15-16, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall has had a love for the Impala ever since it was released. Car & Driver did a big comparison a few ago and the Avalon still beat it. mmarshall likes the Impala, good for him but like I said earlier, nobody really takes the Impala seriously.
Consumer Reports takes the Impala quite seriously....they fully agree with me. 95 out of 100 on a road test is something usually seen on the likes of the Lexus LS460, Tesla Model S, or Mercedes S550....unheard of for a mainstream Chevy sedan. It's not my fault if you (and maybe a couple of others) don't take CR seriously....that's your own business.

The RL has done fine for Acura.
I think you're confusing the RL with the TL and its replacement TLX. The 2Gen RL was built like a bank vault. But, unfortunately, for several reasons, the public never warmed up to it. Its sales were very low, and dealerships had to practically give them away. Its RLX replacement, while not quite as bank-vault solid in construction quality, is, nevertheless, still a very nice product (I reviewed one), but it no longer has the SH-AWD system standard......a big decontenting, IMO.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What FWD transverse sedan at a price point of $60k has ever had significant success?
Originally Posted by pman6
The 1Gen RL (an outgrowth of the Acura Legend) was FWD, but not transverse.....its engine was mounted longitudinally. The 2Gen RL was not FWD......it had standard SH-AWD. It also listed for 45-50K, rather than 60K.
Old 09-15-16, 02:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Acura dealerships are selling a little over 100 RLX per month (118 in August). It's surprising that it's still in their lineup.
Old 09-15-16, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 1Gen RL (an outgrowth of the Acura Legend) was FWD, but not transverse.....its engine was mounted longitudinally. The 2Gen RL was not FWD......it had standard SH-AWD. It also listed for 45-50K, rather than 60K.
Good catch,.but kind of irrelevant as we should be talking about the Continental.

I was hoping the new Lincoln Continental would have Continental tires, but they put Good Year Eagle F1 tires, the same OEM as the Maybach S600 V12 model.
Old 09-15-16, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Acura dealerships are selling a little over 100 RLX per month (118 in August). It's surprising that it's still in their lineup.
Yeah, that gets back to what I was telling Jill. Both the RL and RLX ended up great products that, for the most part, sit around collecting dust. The problem is, though, if Acura does dump it, they have no flagship. And if the E-shifter and start-stop system in the new upcoming 2017 Buick LaCrosse turn off some potential buyers (and I don't care for them myself), the RL, along with the Lincoln MKZ, could be an alternative, especially with Acura shops discounting them heavily to move them.
Old 09-15-16, 03:01 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

irrelevant as we should be talking about the Continental
Agree, if it is not Continrental related click the "New Thread" button and post to your hearts content.
Old 09-15-16, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Agree, if it is not Continrental related click the "New Thread" button and post to your hearts content.
It remains to be seen how this new car does. I think it will do OK but the poor fuel economy ratings are a bit of a concern. The other thing that might be of concern is that there are no reviews out yet? Perhaps they are hiding something.
Old 09-15-16, 03:40 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It remains to be seen how this new car does. I think it will do OK but the poor fuel economy ratings are a bit of a concern. The other thing that might be of concern is that there are no reviews out yet? Perhaps they are hiding something.
Lincoln has botched this whole introduction from the get go. Mr "Alright alright alright" should have been driving a Continental in adds the past six months. They should have brought them out to classic car shows and parked them next to restored '60s examples. Should have had them out at cars and coffee. If they want younger buyers you have to get off your *** and find them. It is not a "build it and they will come" this is not Lincoln of 50 years ago. Pre release 50 to celebs, rappers and Sema guys. You have to create a buzz. And besides us car guys and gals no one in the general public knows about it or frankly gives a damn.
Old 09-15-16, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It remains to be seen how this new car does. I think it will do OK but the poor fuel economy ratings are a bit of a concern.
400 HP with AWD is not exactly a formula for winning economy-runs....but I'll admit that the lower-powered FWD versions don't do much, if any better.

The other thing that might be of concern is that there are no reviews out yet? Perhaps they are hiding something.
Yes, you're correct......so far, I couldn't find any real test-drives either, except for the one with the quick trip around the Las Vegas Speedway that I posted earlier. I wouldn't be too concerned, though. First, there are plenty of static-reviews available, and second, that might just be part of Lincoln's marketing strategy.....keep the professional test-drivers under lock and key, and get people to actually go to the dealerships and test-drive the car for themselves, rather than rely on others. Unfortunately, Lincoln's current system of rather thinly-spread-out dealerships, and their policy of selling out of only certain Ford shops, doesn't help much.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-16 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental