Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 11:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not an engineer but I don't know that you have a lot of expansion and contraction in a steel or aluminum body panel to where you have to worry about panel gaps...
This should help
https://www.quora.com/When-laying-ra...ngths-of-track

Old 09-21-16, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Pretty sad that the panel gaps/fit on my when it was new $12,000 Tacoma are way tighter and more uniform than that bs panel fit on that Lincoln.
Yes, pretty disappointing. Lincoln should be getting the little right. They need to make a good impression on new buyers who might be intrigued by the new design.
Old 09-21-16, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
That's the way that railroad and subway tracks used to be laid years ago, but then they started welding them together to eliminate the annoying "click-clack" sound of the wheels over the expansion-joints.
Old 09-21-16, 12:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the way that railroad and subway tracks used to be laid years ago, but then they started welding them together to eliminate the annoying "click-clack" sound of the wheels over the expansion-joints.
I don't think your claim of modern vehicle panel expansion holds any water. I believe my dads ES350, the hood is rubber sealed when the hood is closed. Not much a way to go. Same thing with the upper part of the doors.
Old 09-21-16, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think your claim of modern vehicle panel expansion holds any water.
Sorry, Jill, but I didn't write the laws of physics. In most cases, materials expand in heat and contract in the cold...water turning to ice is one of the rare exceptions, where it expands as it freezes.

I believe my dads ES350, the hood is rubber sealed when the hood is closed. Not much a way to go. Same thing with the upper part of the doors.

....True, but the rubber-seal itself is flexible (rubber is not a rigid substance), and allows for a slight amount of panel expansion/contraction.
Old 09-21-16, 01:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, Jill, but I didn't write the laws of physics. In most cases, materials expand in heat and contract in the cold...water turning to ice is one of the rare exceptions, where it expands as it freezes.
But you are not an engineer, I do not think car door expansion is a concern. We have not seen any problems and car makers have been building cars for 100 plus years. I think the way they build them is just fine. You make it should like there is this big concern we should all be watching out for.
Old 09-21-16, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But you are not an engineer, I do not think car door expansion is a concern. We have not seen any problems and car makers have been building cars for 100 plus years. I think the way they build them is just fine. You make it should like there is this big concern we should all be watching out for.
As I said earlier, it's more of a problem with plastic body panels than with metal. That's why the Saturn S-series cars had such wide gaps.....they were deliberately there for a reason.
Old 09-21-16, 09:51 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Lincoln doesn't need to worry about marketing or panel gaps. The good folks at a Lincoln forum seem to be interested in the Continental:

http://lincolnforums.com/forums/thre...My-Continental
Old 09-22-16, 08:44 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Maybe Lincoln doesn't need to worry about marketing or panel gaps. The good folks at a Lincoln forum seem to be interested in the Continental:

http://lincolnforums.com/forums/thre...My-Continental
Great, if Lincoln's sales goal is about 100 units they have it nailed!
Old 09-22-16, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good point, Matty. I think this car is going to sell on its looks alone.
Old 09-22-16, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Good point, Matty. I think this car is going to sell on its looks alone.
To people who like Lincolns...which clearly there aren't a ton of because they don't sell a ton of Lincolns.

The car is attractive, but I don't think its incredible looking at all...
Old 09-22-16, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
To people who like Lincolns...which clearly there aren't a ton of because they don't sell a ton of Lincolns.

The car is attractive, but I don't think its incredible looking at all...
Well, perhaps not incredible in the commonly accepted sense of the term, but certainly the best thing Lincoln has done in years is to get rid of those (IMO) silly-looking wing / buck-teeth grilles and use the Jaguar-like drone ends. Also, on the consoles inside, by getting rid of the frustrating finger-slide/sensor controls and using simple rotary *****. It has totally transformed the whole look and feel of the vehicles. (and some versions of the MKZ got a new softer suspension this year for ride comfort). My guess (though we'll wait and see) is that the MKC and MKX also get those new front ends at their first major redesign or facelifting.

Make no mistake about it, though...some gremlins still remain. The MKC, though a nice overall design, certainly doesn't exhibit the best overall build quality in its class (compact luxury SUV). The Lincoln dealer network, in general, is a borderline joke...although that nice big Ford/Lincoln facility you saw there in Chantilly yesterday is one of the exceptions. Jill, of course, got some shots of questionable panel-fit in the Continental, though I still think that issue may be a little overdone. And, as you have suggested, the rival Cadillac CT6's RWD may appeal more to those considering a shift from the RWD Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-series....I don't think the Continental is going to draw them in as much the CT6. But I still think the Continental may draw in some of those moving up from lesser FWD cars....vehicles like the Taurus, LaCrosse, Impala, Cadenza, Azera, Avalon, etc.....
Old 10-05-16, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I got my long-awaited chance today to review and drive the new Continental. For the most part, though there are a couple of minor flaws in the design, it was a great experience...well worth the wait. I definitely liked it more than the Cadillac CT6....especially the Continental's superb interior. Details coming up...should have the review written up in a day or two.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-16 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 07:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somehow I knew that waiting for an up close and personal look-see would be better than jumping to conclusions. Other than its engine/transmission layout I would rather read about what the car's really like first hand. Please make sure to dish on the panel-gap issue that is front page news on this thread.
Old 10-05-16, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Somehow I knew that waiting for an up close and personal look-see would be better than jumping to conclusions. Other than its engine/transmission layout I would rather read about what the car's really like first hand. Please make sure to dish on the panel-gap issue that is front page news on this thread.
Yes, I've addressed that in the EXTERIOR section. I should have it posted sometime late tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental