Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 10:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Please make sure to dish on the panel-gap issue that is front page news on this thread.
Saw another Continental, this one was the same color in white. No panel gap issues. In the example of the first Continental, perhaps the workers at the Ford plant were upset with Ford or the union and decided to take a few short cuts that day.
Old 10-09-16, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw another Continental, this one was the same color in white. No panel gap issues. In the example of the first Continental, perhaps the workers at the Ford plant were upset with Ford or the union and decided to take a few short cuts that day.

Like I said earlier, Jill, I suspect (?) that the one you complained about company-owned, pre-production model that a dealer General Manager or Ford zone-manager was driving. The ones I looked at were almost flawless, though Steve said the one he sampled had a slightly misaligned trunk-lid. Pre-production samples of most vehicles are usually not sold to the public for that very reason...they are more likely to have quality glitches. Do you remember if the one you complained about had a price-sticker? (Though I don't know if Canadian law requires them like here in the U.S.)

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-16 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I said earlier, Jill, I suspect (?) that the one you complained about company-owned, pre-production model that a dealer General Manager or Ford zone-manager was driving. The ones I looked at were almost flawless, though Steve said the one he sampled had a slightly misaligned trunk-lid. Pre-production samples of most vehicles are usually not sold to the public for that very reason...they are more likely to have quality glitches. Do you remember if the one you complained about had a price-sticker? (Though I don't know if Canadian law requires them like here in the U.S.)
What conclusions are you jumping too. The car was for sale, it had a sticker with the MSRP on and the dealer said it was for sale and has not been driven.
Old 10-09-16, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What conclusions are you jumping too. The car was for sale, it had a sticker with the MSRP on and the dealer said it was for sale and has not been driven.
Well, I wasn't necessarily jumping to a conclusion. I mentioned a possibility. That's why I asked if it had a price sticker.

Anyhow, pre-production or not, that's why it's usually not a good idea to buy very early samples of any new model. When I bought my car, for example, it had been in production several months.
Old 10-09-16, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

One of the 3 I saw had a misaligned trunk panel. Inconsistency in quality is an issue, that's what this points to imho.

Similar issues with Jeep...
Old 10-09-16, 09:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New York photographer and icon Annie Leibovitz is starting the ball rolling on Continental's marketing. I don't know if a younger buying group even knows or cares who Annie Leibovitz is, but they seem to have started their campaign on this car as of tomorrow.

Originally Posted by business wire release
“That’s Continental,” is the tagline for a series of Leibovitz photo spreads that will appear, uncredited, in high-end print publications as well as social media feeds beginning Oct. 10. “We partnered with the world’s pre-eminent portrait photographer to launch the new Lincoln flagship,” says Kumar Galhotra, president of The Lincoln Motor Company. “Annie Leibovitz is a photographer of substance. The rich, warm emotions her photos evoke mirror the feelings we want our clients to experience on all their journeys in the new Lincoln Continental.

”Leibovitz, admired for her use of bold color and unconventional poses, has photographed celebrities, literary icons, politicians and high-profile events. Her work has included covers for Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair – the latest featuring rock legend Bruce Springsteen. This is her first foray into car photography.“Annie creates rich, engaging narratives through her photographs,” says John Emmert, group marketing manager of The Lincoln Motor Company. “And in this story, the Continental is the key character that enables a memorable journey.

”The new Lincoln Continental is the ultimate in quiet luxury and effortless power, heralded for its superior craftsmanship, inviting interior and thoughtful design details. The vehicle has been expressly designed for discerning clients seeking a world-class driving experience.The photos for the campaign were shot in and around New York City with a small group – Leibovitz, her crew and the non-professional models – an actor, an artist, a musician and a film director (who brought along his dog, Seven, also featured in the photos).

The choice of surrounding the Continental with non-professional models reflects Leibovitz’ insistence on authenticity – another trait she shares with the Lincoln brand.Although the original assignment required only six photos, Leibovitz, true to her nature, researched a route and created an entire narrative that was inspired by childhood road trips she took with her father.“She said that’s how she first developed her photographic eye – by looking out the back window at the horizontal framing of the landscapes of America,” says Emmert.

“So in the end, we have 13 different shots that tell a story with a nice backdrop of rural and urban – and all decidedly unconventional in terms of car photography.”While the car has been completely redesigned and re-interpreted, the name – and the history – still resonates with the public.

“That’s why we’re using ‘That’s Continental,’ as our launch theme,” says Emmert. “It suggests a continental approach to life, as well. Being curious, being confident, wanting to know more … it’s the embodiment of Lincoln.”For more information and behind-the-scenes video, see lincolncontinental.com/roadtrip.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...tional-Lincoln
Old 10-10-16, 01:01 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I went to the Ford/Lincoln dealer today with a friend(he was thinking about a new F150, just wanted to look a bit). Actually looked at/sat in a new Continental.

The exterior IMO is a bit boring, but then again a plain jane Audi A6 is rather boring, same thing with a basic 5 series or 3 series BMW with the small wheels. Still this is the best looking Lincoln in YEARS, I'm glad they finally abandoned that silly split butterfly grill. Its still rather slab sided though, but with a big open greenhouse. From a side angle it reminds me a bit of a 1990's Benz S-class or an early 2000's Toyota Avalon. Both of those were good looking, but kind of boring cars. I know mmarshall will totally agree with this sentiment lol, but the big bland slab sided doors kind of needed some sort of middle of the door molding with some chrome to add some interest.

The interior though is really nice, as in IMO several notches nicer than any Cadillac interior, including the new CT6. It just has a really nice look about it, the car I looked at had a light cream leather with dark black carpets and black upper dash, with cream leather on the seats/lower dash/middle of the doors. It was a two tone that really worked, and I also loved the non-shiny dark brown, open pore wood work. Cadillac could learn a thing or two in terms of interior design from Lincoln, as there aren't 15 different cut lines on the dash, with 5 or 6 materials of different textures competing for your attention. There was an actual **** for the volume, there were actual buttons, and none of that bull**** shiny black plastic Cadillac puts in their cars that shows fingerprints.

However the button actuated door releases were a dumb idea on the 2005 Corvette, they are still a dumb idea on this new Lincoln. Make a solid chrome metal door pull like back in the good old days.
Old 10-10-16, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I know mmarshall will totally agree with this sentiment lol, but the big bland slab sided doors kind of needed some sort of middle of the door molding with some chrome to add some interest.
LMAO. I actually forgot to mention that in my Continental review.

The interior though is really nice, as in IMO several notches nicer than any Cadillac interior, including the new CT6. It just has a really nice look about it, the car I looked at had a light cream leather with dark black carpets and black upper dash, with cream leather on the seats/lower dash/middle of the doors. It was a two tone that really worked, and I also loved the non-shiny dark brown, open pore wood work. Cadillac could learn a thing or two in terms of interior design from Lincoln, as there aren't 15 different cut lines on the dash, with 5 or 6 materials of different textures competing for your attention. There was an actual **** for the volume, there were actual buttons, and none of that bull**** shiny black plastic Cadillac puts in their cars that shows fingerprints.
Well, in this case, even Lincoln could learn from Lincoln LOL......no other current vehicle from this company itself has an interior that can compete with the Continental's, though we'll have to wait and see how the new Navigator looks.

However the button actuated door releases were a dumb idea on the 2005 Corvette, they are still a dumb idea on this new Lincoln. Make a solid chrome metal door pull like back in the good old days.
Yeah, I'd be concerned with a power failure or malfunction, though I understand there are emergency-releases.
Old 10-10-16, 07:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
New York photographer and icon Annie Leibovitz is starting the ball rolling on Continental's marketing. I don't know if a younger buying group even knows or cares who Annie Leibovitz is, but they seem to have started their campaign on this car as of tomorrow.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...tional-Lincoln
Pretty interesting how Lincoln is rolling out the marketing for this car. I guess I can understand why there are no reviews yet. I think its a smart move to have her photograph the car.
Old 10-10-16, 07:05 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This shot looks killer.

http://mms.businesswire.com/media/20...jpg?download=1

Look forward to seeing the entire campaign.
Old 10-10-16, 09:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

^^ tiny image. looks killer? looks lame to me.
Old 10-10-16, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I can understand why there are no reviews yet.
IMO, that is not an excuse. There should have been auto press test-drives of this car (not just static-reviews) months ago. They are paid to test-drive cars....we here at CL are not.
Old 10-10-16, 12:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Fancy marketing will not save an overpriced inferior product from a brand that had little to no prestige in the luxury segment.

Before u know it this thing will be all over the taxi/limo fleets here in NY......
Old 10-10-16, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Fancy marketing will not save an overpriced inferior product from a brand that had little to no prestige in the luxury segment.

Before u know it this thing will be all over the taxi/limo fleets here in NY......
Well, limo fleets, yes. This is way too upscale a car to be a taxi. And it it was as inferior a product as you say, it wouldn't even be in the limo business.

As far as marketing goes, I don't think this car is going to sell on marketing. It's going to sell on its looks and interior.
Old 10-10-16, 06:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, that is not an excuse. There should have been auto press test-drives of this car (not just static-reviews) months ago. They are paid to test-drive cars....we here at CL are not.
Yeah but maybe they don't want the auto press to weigh in on this car yet. Possibly they just want the public to hear about the car through other channels before they let the usual suspects shape opinions on the Continental. Some road tests are embargoed so once the magazine ads come out and social media responds, then you'll see the auto press articles.

It's a reversal of the usual timeline: auto media first on exclusive tests, ads, and nowadays social media.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental