Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 11:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Car & Driver

Highs and Lows

Highs: Sybaritic front thrones, 400 ponies from Lincoln-exclusive V-6, well-tuned steering.

Lows:Suspension steps heavily, transmission needs better manners, throttle mapping is hypersensitive.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Car & Driver was a bit harsh.

Motor Authority was not that bad.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-review/page-2

Autoweek

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-re...ln-continental

I really like this car, but I think a bunch of others on here might be right, this Lincoln might just be D.O.A
Old 10-28-16, 06:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I would drive it yourself before you proclaim that any review is "harsh".
Old 10-28-16, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Car & Driver was a bit harsh.
I really like this car, but I think a bunch of others on here might be right, this Lincoln might just be D.O.A
I can't comment on some parts of the review, because they test-drove a much different version than I did, with the top-line 400 HP engine, AWD, larger, more sport-oriented wheels/tires, and (probably) a slightly stiffer suspension. But, on that version, that seemed to be their chief complaint....a stiff ride. The version I drove was only borderline firm....but it did have some noticeable engine noise accelerating at low speeds.

They seem to agree with me, though, that the interior is (mostly) a class act.
Old 10-30-16, 05:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is an important distinction. The Continental cannot be done the "Audi way". The Continental is always transverse engine and front biased AWD even when it's configured as AWD. Quattro Audis are longitudinal engine and rear biased AWD. Even most FWD Audis are not transverse engined.
Absolutely right. The A3 and TT are the only ones that comes to mind, because they're based on the Jetta/Golf. From the A4 on up, it's all longitudinal mount, whether FWD or quattro. There's a difference between designing a car for AWD but offering a cheaper variant without it; vs. designing it for FWD and bolting on a prop shaft after the fact. The latter has no place in a luxury car.

I think you are way off. This Lincoln is not for the A8, 7 series crowd that are RWD. It's not even for the GS crowd. Just look at the starting price and the options. And no RWD is NOT going to make or break Lincoln.
You are free to think that. And I agree it doesn't compete with the A8 and 7 series. But that's the problem. It's meant to be a flagship, but isn't competitive with anyone's flagship. Starting price is notable, but this thing can be optioned to over $80,000. That's a hell of a lot of scratch for a Taurus. I do agree that this car's lack of RWD won't break Lincoln. But it won't help them become what they want to be, which is a credible player in the luxury market. Instead they'll be Ford's Acura division.

Last edited by geko29; 10-30-16 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-30-16, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
You are free to think that. And I agree it doesn't compete with the A8 and 7 series. But that's the problem. It's meant to be a flagship, but isn't competitive with anyone's flagship. Starting price is notable, but this thing can be optioned to over $80,000. That's a hell of a lot of scratch for a Taurus. I do agree that this car's lack of RWD won't break Lincoln. But it won't help them become what they want to be, which is a credible player in the luxury market. Instead they'll be Ford's Acura division.
If they are Ford's Acura division then that is completely fine. Let them be what they want to be. I do not understand why people are getting so worked up about this car, its a very nice car with 400hp, AWD, and a very nice interior. This car essentially compares with the CT6 from Cadillac and it will compare with the next generation ES from Lexus which while end up increasing in price.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-30-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-30-16, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I don't feel it compares with the CT6 even. That car can compete with flagships as a value option, this doesn't.
Old 10-30-16, 09:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

If they are Ford's Acura division then that is completely fine. Let them be what they want to be. I do not understand why people are getting so worked up about this car, its a very nice car with 400hp, AWD, and a very nice interior. This car essentially compares with the CT6 from Cadillac and it will compare with the next generation ES from Lexus which while end up increasing in price.
I agree, let them be what they want to be--if they can. But from the size and interior appointments on this car, it's plainly obvious that they weren't trying to be Acura, but quite a bit more. They want to be Lexus/Genesis/Cadillac, and compete with Audi/BMW/Mercedes on price. Instead what they've built is Acura/Buick, which will compete with the likes of the ES, Avalon, RLX, and Azera on refinement. It's fine if a luxury brand's lower or midlevel model is cross-shopped with top models from standard brands, but the flagship should not be.
Old 10-30-16, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I agree, let them be what they want to be--if they can. But from the size and interior appointments on this car, it's plainly obvious that they weren't trying to be Acura, but quite a bit more. They want to be Lexus/Genesis/Cadillac, and compete with Audi/BMW/Mercedes on price. Instead what they've built is Acura/Buick, which will compete with the likes of the ES, Avalon, RLX, and Azera on refinement. It's fine if a luxury brand's lower or midlevel model is cross-shopped with top models from standard brands, but the flagship should not be.
Why do you keep insisting that people, Lincoln fans, the press or Lincoln is comparing this or cross shopping this with the flagship cars like the A8 or 7 series and S class? It doesn't compete with those cars as the starting MSRP will tell you. This new Continental is a step above Buick and it's leaps and bounds a much nicer car than an Avalon. It doesn't really even compete with the Acura as a Lincoln buyer is a different type of buyer that a Acura buyer.

This car is in the same area as a Cadillac CT6, Genesis, and will be in the segment with a Lexus ES which will significantly increase in price on the top end for the next gen model.

I don't see why you are getting so defensive on this. The Continental is a very nice car for Lincoln, 400hp and a standout interior. It's their flagship. Leave it at that?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-30-16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This new Continental is a step above Buick (LaCrosse?)
Overall, on paper, yes, I'd agree, and the Continental's interior is definitely more plush-looking, though they both have nice comfortable seats, and the LaCrosse has what is probably better overall fit/finish. But I've test-driven both (FWD versions with base-level tires/suspension and non-turbo V6), and the two are surprisingly close in overall road manners.....ride comfort, handling, braking, steering response, noise level, and powertrain response. If I were blindfolded and riding in each one, it would not be easy to tell the two apart from road manners alone, though neither one was quite as silent underhood or a silky-smooth over bumps as I had expected...or hoped for. Take the blindfold off, though, and the Continental's interior is like a suite in the Queen Mary....the LaCrosse's, nice and well-finished, but noticeably less-ornate even with the vast amount of wood trim. The Continental's push-button shifting, (IMO) also wins out, hands-down, over the LaCrosse's awkward E-shifter.

and it's leaps and bounds a much nicer car than an Avalon.
No arguments there. The Avalon looks nice on the surface, especially inside. But the materials used inside, IMO, under that surface coat of glitz, are thin sub-standard plastic, and some of the controls/latches feel like they are going to break off in one's hand. However, it compensates for that with a noticeably smother ride this year (it was clearly too stiff in 2014-1015), a well-engineered and refines drivetrain, good overall reliability, and the usual excellent Toyota/Lexus paint job.

It doesn't really even compete with the Acura as a Lincoln buyer is a different type of buyer that a Acura buyer.
In some ways, you could compare the Continental to the Acura RLX, but the Continental has a vastly more plush interior. The RLX, though (which I've also test-driven), beats it in fit/finish, ride comfort over sharp bumps, and overall assembly-quality. As far as the type of buyer each car attracts, it is difficult to compare the two, because the Continental is still brand-new, and because the RLX simply lacks buyers, period.

This car is in the same area as a Cadillac CT6, Genesis, and will be in the segment with a Lexus ES which will significantly increase in price on the top end for the next gen model.
As Steve (correctly) likes to point out, the CT6 and Genesis both have RWD/AWD chassis that is more competitive with the Germans. But, the way the average Continental is likely to be driven on American roads, by rather sedate and conservative drivers, I still don't see where that is much of an issue....I'm more or less in your camp on that one.
Old 10-31-16, 05:43 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I finally took the time to go test drive a Continental. Unlike most of the other testers, I was not disappointed, maybe because my expectations were different. The car I drove was a mid level (Select 200) trim with options that I might have specified myself. It had the 2.7T engine and AWD, the tech package, the 30 way driver seat, and the Nav package. Just as important, I think, were the items that were not on it like 20" wheels, pano roof, high zoot sound system, etc. Sticker price was what I thought was reasonable at $58,800 which is where the car is likely to be a relative bargain. I spent more than 20 minutes setting the seat which drove the sales guy nuts but it was worth it. Once you get it right, this is one of the most comfortable car seats around rivaling the Volvo XC90 seat. There was plenty room inside, about the same as the short wheelbase LS460. The ride was smooth and very quiet. The only engine noise was a little induction noise on full throttle acceleration. At cruise, it was silent. Acceleration from a stop is pretty good, but it really picks up once you get rolling and the turbos are working. Freeway on-ramp acceleration is outstanding as is acceleration for passing. Handling is better than I expected - not sporty at all but not bad. With the AWD it does not plow into turns like a FWD and there is no torque steer. The interior even on this mid range model is outstanding, looks and feels like luxury.

Would I buy it? Equipped like this tester and at this price, yes! As a Black Label model at nearly $80,000, no way! Compared to the CT6 I tested, the Continental has a nicer interior, a better ride, better acceleration, and it is $8000 cheaper. No contest for me.

Most of the cars in stock were base models with the 3.7 engine and FWD. As equipped, they were in the $47,000 range and near ES350 list prices. This is a much nicer car than the ES so that may turn out to be a significant part of the American market.
Steve
Old 10-31-16, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I finally took the time to go test drive a Continental. Unlike most of the other testers, I was not disappointed, maybe because my expectations were different. The car I drove was a mid level (Select 200) trim with options that I might have specified myself. It had the 2.7T engine and AWD, the tech package, the 30 way driver seat, and the Nav package. Just as important, I think, were the items that were not on it like 20" wheels, pano roof, high zoot sound system, etc. Sticker price was what I thought was reasonable at $58,800 which is where the car is likely to be a relative bargain. I spent more than 20 minutes setting the seat which drove the sales guy nuts but it was worth it. Once you get it right, this is one of the most comfortable car seats around rivaling the Volvo XC90 seat. There was plenty room inside, about the same as the short wheelbase LS460. The ride was smooth and very quiet. The only engine noise was a little induction noise on full throttle acceleration. At cruise, it was silent. Acceleration from a stop is pretty good, but it really picks up once you get rolling and the turbos are working. Freeway on-ramp acceleration is outstanding as is acceleration for passing. Handling is better than I expected - not sporty at all but not bad. With the AWD it does not plow into turns like a FWD and there is no torque steer. The interior even on this mid range model is outstanding, looks and feels like luxury.

Would I buy it? Equipped like this tester and at this price, yes! As a Black Label model at nearly $80,000, no way! Compared to the CT6 I tested, the Continental has a nicer interior, a better ride, better acceleration, and it is $8000 cheaper. No contest for me.

Most of the cars in stock were base models with the 3.7 engine and FWD. As equipped, they were in the $47,000 range and near ES350 list prices. This is a much nicer car than the ES so that may turn out to be a significant part of the American market.
Steve
Good write up. I agree with most of what you say, except that the ride comfort, which you liked with the 20"wheels, would probably be even smoother with the standard 18" wheels. And, though I can't comment on the turbo 2.7L, the N/A 3.7L I sampled had audible noise even at moderate throttle on take-off....not just during full-induction. Keep in mind, though, on reliability, that, in general, Lincoln and Cadillac both rank well below both Buick and Lexus, which are at the top.
Old 10-31-16, 06:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I saw this First Drive review of the Continental on C&D. Overall a pretty good review although the author was critical of a number of areas.

Old 10-31-16, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw this First Drive review of the Continental on C&D. Overall a pretty good review although the author was critical of a number of areas.

Thanks, LexBob, but I think that video's already been posted, Still doesn't hurt, though.

Have you sampled a Continental yourself yet? We've gotten a number of reviews and/or opinions here in this thread....might as well get yours.
Old 10-31-16, 07:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Steve
Great review. Glad you liked it. I am glad you can see how it's nicer than a ES350 but also you compared it to a CT6. The next ES will go up in price at the high end to compare well at this price point.
Old 10-31-16, 07:30 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I finally took the time to go test drive a Continental. Unlike most of the other testers, I was not disappointed, maybe because my expectations were different.
There was plenty room inside, about the same as the short wheelbase LS460. The ride was smooth and very quiet. The only engine noise was a little induction noise on full throttle acceleration. At cruise, it was silent. Acceleration from a stop is pretty good, but it really picks up once you get rolling and the turbos are working. Freeway on-ramp acceleration is outstanding as is acceleration for passing. Handling is better than I expected - not sporty at all but not bad. With the AWD it does not plow into turns like a FWD and there is no torque steer. The interior even on this mid range model is outstanding, looks and feels like luxury.

Steve
Maybe Lincoln wants to sell the volume cars this way and for mid-level buyers it will be awd and turbo. Interesting take on the car though. It's a classic nameplate that could have done better but I also see why they have done it this way.

Now I wonder, did you care about whether the engine under the hood was sitting sideways or longitudinal? Because you know that's really, really important to some posters on here

I've criticized this car for that but also understand that its demographic may no worry too much about it like Car Chat does. If you equip it as you tested, maybe this car is a different flavor for dedicated Ford/Lincoln fans.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental