Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Maybe Lincoln wants to sell the volume cars this way and for mid-level buyers it will be awd and turbo. Interesting take on the car though. It's a classic nameplate that could have done better but I also see why they have done it this way.

Now I wonder, did you care about whether the engine under the hood was sitting sideways or longitudinal? Because you know that's really, really important to some posters on here

I've criticized this car for that but also understand that its demographic may no worry too much about it like Car Chat does. If you equip it as you tested, maybe this car is a different flavor for dedicated Ford/Lincoln fans.
Its well done for Lincoln. Not sure what you would want to be done better. For $50K is spot on.
Old 10-31-16, 08:03 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Now I wonder, did you care about whether the engine under the hood was sitting sideways or longitudinal? Because you know that's really, really important to some posters on here
For this application I don't think it matters whether the engine is transverse or longitudinal. The important drivetrain issue for me is the AWD. Ford's system sends about 50% of the power to the rear wheels most of the time. This improves the handling and eliminates torque steer. Ford has shown with the new Focus RS that they can tune their AWD system to shift most of the power to the rear wheel if desired. The transverse engine and original FWD design now have AWD and an selectable drift mode where more than 90% of the power goes to the rear wheels.
Steve
Old 11-01-16, 11:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My local dealer has a Reserve model listed for $99,999.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2586/overview/
Old 11-01-16, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Saw my first Continental in the wild today. Looks fantastic blending in with traffic. Really like the back end with the big Lincoln lettering. Nice chiseled lines.
Old 11-01-16, 03:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
That dealership must be waiting for the one Lincoln loyalist who's also an early adopter - maybe someone who wants to be seen in one first. Because honestly that price is outrageously "bigly" for this particular Conti.

That's already past the base price of the S class and if a potential Lincoln buyer were to wander over to the Hyundai/Genesis store they can save $20K and get a full on awd V8 G90 which is clearly in another league. Continental is a better car at $45K-65K for Ford fans.
Old 11-01-16, 03:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That dealership must be waiting for the one Lincoln loyalist who's also an early adopter - maybe someone who wants to be seen in one first. Because honestly that price is outrageously "bigly" for this particular Conti.

That's already past the base price of the S class and if a potential Lincoln buyer were to wander over to the Hyundai/Genesis store they can save $20K and get a full on awd V8 G90 which is clearly in another league. Continental is a better car at $45K-65K for Ford fans.
Have you ever seen a mid level Lexus like a specd out ES selling for $25k above invoice. I haven't. Perhaps it's just a misprint.
Old 11-01-16, 05:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you ever seen a mid level Lexus like a specd out ES selling for $25k above invoice. I haven't. Perhaps it's just a misprint.
I was thinking misprint too. I didn't know you could spec one out that high.
Old 11-01-16, 05:38 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And you do realize that dealers may use all sorts of psychological tricks and claim it's a mistake right? It's a new car, and they just are throwing a spitball and can easily retreat and say it's a mistake. Hence that first buyer thinks they'll hammer out a ridiculous deal because maybe you'll call and say wtf.

You yourself took pics of a $78K Lincoln at a Canadian dealership did you not? Panel gaps and all? Invoiced from what you said. Nobody in Canada is going to pay that price for that particular car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nental-31.html
Old 11-01-16, 05:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And you do realize that dealers may use all sorts of psychological tricks and claim it's a mistake right? It's a new car, and they just are throwing a spitball and can easily retreat and say it's a mistake. Hence that first buyer thinks they'll hammer out a ridiculous deal because maybe you'll call and say wtf.

You yourself took pics of a $78K Lincoln at a Canadian dealership did you not? Panel gaps and all? Invoiced from what you said. Nobody in Canada is going to pay that price for that particular car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nental-31.html
Why do you care so much? I don't understand your bashing of what looks like a really nice car. I saw what looked like a loaded Continental, it sure looked like $78k car. looked much better than a GS I saw earlier, and the GS looks better in person than in pics.
Old 11-01-16, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is an excellent car for the price of the lower-line versions (45-55K), but, no offense folks...........anybody who would pay 100K for a Continental, even a top-level Reserve/Black-Label version with the 400 HP engine, would prove P.T. Barnum correct......

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-01-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you care so much? I don't understand your bashing of what looks like a really nice car. I saw what looked like a loaded Continental, it sure looked like $78k car. looked much better than a GS I saw earlier, and the GS looks better in person than in pics.
Have you gotten a chance to drive one yet, Jill?
Old 11-01-16, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Why the concern about "why we care"?

We care because we're car enthusiasts and we enjoy discussing and debating the merits of specific cars in the Car Chat forum.

Old 11-01-16, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Why the concern about "why we care"?

We care because we're car enthusiasts and we enjoy discussing and debating the merits of specific cars in the Car Chat forum.

Although I love my current ride, and probably won't be getting another one for probably another year or so (depending on if I need another knee operation and/or what my automotive needs will be), the base-level Continental has impressed me enough, even with its senseless inside E-door-releases and noisier-than necessary N/A 3.7L engine, that it ranks well up on my potential shopping list, along with the new 2017 LaCrosse, the Lincoln MKZ facelift (which addressed several of that vehicle's earlier problems), Lincoln MKC in the SUV line, and Lexus ES350. I'm concerned, though, about Lincoln's reliability, and, while I could probably live with the LaCrosse's non-defeatable stop/start system if I had to, the E-shifter, IMO, truly s**ks. The ES, of course, is one of the safest buys for reliability, and is otherwise a very nice comfortable car, but it is like an appliance, almost totally without character, and I don't care for the zig-zag shifter and thin, lightweight materials used inside and for the doors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-01-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

How long do you think you're likely to own your next car? If you're talking about 10 years I would say the ES would be hard to beat. Otherwise I'm sure the Continental would be fine. My main concern there would be the longevity of infotainment systems, etc.

The Continental really doesn't have any "character" either...
Old 11-01-16, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
How long do you think you're likely to own your next car? If you're talking about 10 years I would say the ES would be hard to beat. Otherwise I'm sure the Continental would be fine. My main concern there would be the longevity of infotainment systems, etc.

The Continental really doesn't have any "character" either...
In general, I keep a car about five years or so....that's a reasonably good place on the average depreciation-curve. My current Verano, though, has been so reliable (and it also gives you a lot for what it cost) that I'm not in any real hurry to replace it.

Despite my long history of being an auto-enthusiast and reviewer, though, I haven't owned a big full-size (or even mid-size) luxury car since the used ones I owned in college....decades ago. Perhaps it's time. I can afford one if I really want one.

I have to disagree on the Continental not having class or character. We haven't seen anything like this from Ford for decades, particularly with the interior. IMO, it's probably the (current) sedan equivalent of the Cadillac Escalade's bling (yes, more so than the CT6 itself). It's not perfect, though, and does need some further refining in a few areas.

The Genesis/G80 3.8L would be an excellent choice, too, since the 5.0L doesn't come in AWD, and, for me, RWD, even with traction-aids, doesn't cut it in the winter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-01-16 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental