Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you're willing to spend $50k on a new Continental, maybe you just need to go buy a nice 2012+ Lexus LS460 with really low miles in like new condition. IMO it beats the pants off the new Lincoln, a new Caddy CT6 or CTS, or a new ES350. The steep depreciation gives you really good value for money. Plus I think with the 2012 restyle, they addressed the sort of boring looks and the interior is several notches nicer than previous years. Lexus has been building IMO the ultimate Cadillac/Lincoln Town Car with the LS series since 1990, its like what Cadillac and Lincoln should have been but never was.
I've thought of that before, but, like Steve and Jill, I tend to be a new car person, and somewhat distrustful of used cars (even the most careful inspections don't catch some things). And even CPO's, IMO, aren't always what they are hyped as......for whatever reason, some things on the official CPO inspection lists that are supposed to be done aren't necessarily done.
Old 11-03-16, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Also bear in mind that you can get a brand new LS460 for not a whole lot more than that. I bet you can buy an Ls460 like mine with an $80k sticker for close to $60k.

Might be the car for you to stretch for.
Old 11-03-16, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Also bear in mind that you can get a brand new LS460 for not a whole lot more than that. I bet you can buy an Ls460 like mine with an $80k sticker for close to $60k.

Might be the car for you to stretch for.
I won't be in the market, though, for a little while yet....probably later next year, after my next knee operation heals. Much, of course, depends on my future needs.

A RWD base-level LS at 60K, though, would probably be out of the question for me...FWD or AWD is pretty much a necessity. I learned my lesson in the winter with the RWD IS300 I owned, even with traction control.
Old 11-03-16, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, back to the Continental. Anybody on the forum own or lease one yet? (I got a feeling the answer is no, but it doesn't hurt to ask LOL) Let's hear from anyone who does...what kind of deal they got, if they are satisfied with the car, etc.....
Old 11-03-16, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I won't be in the market, though, for a little while yet....probably later next year, after my next knee operation heals. Much, of course, depends on my future needs.

A RWD base-level LS at 60K, though, would probably be out of the question for me...FWD or AWD is pretty much a necessity. I learned my lesson in the winter with the RWD IS300 I owned, even with traction control.
It will only be cheaper next year. And my LS is AWD not RWD. I bet you can get an AWD LS for near $60k.
Old 11-03-16, 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'd actually get a Continental over a 2012 LS460. The upgraded tech alone would be worth it to me.
I think I agree. The new Continental at a lower price point looks to be a better car than the LS460. Not likely in reliability or resale but overall everything else.
Old 11-03-16, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
a nice 2012+ Lexus LS460 with really low miles in like new condition. IMO it beats the pants off the new Lincoln, a new Caddy CT6 or CTS,
A low mile car to me in like new condition will never be considered "new" or "like new" to me. Always gonna be used.
Old 11-03-16, 11:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A low mile car to me in like new condition will never be considered "new" or "like new" to me. Always gonna be used.
same here, but it's an old debate on CL - those who think used is a better deal and those who prefer new.
Old 11-03-16, 12:48 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me the brand of car is very important for new vs. used. I have no problem buying a used Lexus that has been well maintained. However I always buy my trucks new as they can lead very rough lives in a short period of time. Plus I have found "lightly" used trucks cost just about the same as new. Where as our ISF with only 9k miles on it saved us $15k off of buying it new.
Old 11-05-16, 07:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
I have no problem buying a used Lexus that has been well maintained. .
Brand or no brand, I would rather have a new car. Brand spanking new and one that has never been owned.
Old 11-05-16, 08:12 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked one out recently...

Exterior - looks very much like a Ford. Too blocky, not refined like the concept. Front is nice though.

Interior - nicest interior of any Lincoln in decades, which still puts it behind any modern day German luxury vehicle or Lexus or Infiniti. Still feels too "Ford-like" inside. All the chrome accents just look cheap and tacky.

Overall - probably the best product Lincoln has introduced in generations, but that's not saying much relative to the competition. Not a bad car, just very "meh." It'll sell to your typical Lincoln/Cadillac customer that's about all.
Old 11-05-16, 08:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride

Exterior - looks very much like a Ford. Too blocky, not refined like the concept. Front is nice though.

Interior - nicest interior of any Lincoln in decades, which still puts it behind any modern day German luxury vehicle or Lexus or Infiniti. Still feels too "Ford-like" inside. All the chrome accents just look cheap and tacky.

Overall - probably the best product Lincoln has introduced in generations, but that's not saying much relative to the competition. Not a bad car, just very "meh." It'll sell to your typical Lincoln/Cadillac customer that's about all.
I think you are off on your assessment or you not really giving a true honest opinion. The interior is excellent, I would probably put it ahead of the German E class which is just so cold and bewildering in the types of parts and materials they use. The Conti is the real thing when it comes from the inside. Overall, the outside is fantastic but that is just my own opinion.

400hp is also pretty impressive considering what comparable sized engines are making from the Germans and Lexus.
Old 11-05-16, 08:55 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you are off on your assessment or you not really giving a true honest opinion. The interior is excellent, I would probably put it ahead of the German E class which is just so cold and bewildering in the types of parts and materials they use. The Conti is the real thing when it comes from the inside. Overall, the outside is fantastic but that is just my own opinion.

400hp is also pretty impressive considering what comparable sized engines are making from the Germans and Lexus.
What?!?!? "...off on your assessment..."?

Liking a car is a very personal, very subjective thing. You may like it but that does not mean that everybody else will like it. If BrownPride did not like it as you liked it, get over it. Stop preaching.
Old 11-05-16, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride

Your experience with it sounds similar to mine...
Old 11-05-16, 10:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

661 Replies and 44 pages, it's surprising how active the Continental thread is. I wonder how many CL members would actually consider one for purchase or lease?

This could bode well for the Continental. As the old saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental