Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 10:47 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Brand or no brand, I would rather have a new car. Brand spanking new and one that has never been owned.
doubt anyone would argue that if cost was of no consequence.
Old 11-05-16, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
doubt anyone would argue that if cost was of no consequence.
Cost is not always as much of a consequence as many make it out to be, although it is true that the steepest depreciation (usually) comes in the first year.
Old 11-05-16, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
661 Replies and 44 pages, it's surprising how active the Continental thread is.

This could bode well for the Continental. As the old saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
There is a reason for the interest in this car. Although the Lincoln MKC started the renaissance of Lincoln a coupe of years ago (too bad it hasn't been more reliable) , followed by a couple of others, the Continental was the one that really put the icing on the cake. Not only the classy front end, but this probably the best interior from Lincoln (and from any other Ford product) that I've seen in decades.

I wonder how many CL members would actually consider one for purchase or lease?
Well, Yours Truly, here, for one...though I'd probably be interested in only the 3.7L base version, and I'm not in the market just right now. But this will probably be high on my shopping list when I am.
Old 11-05-16, 08:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

661 Replies and 44 pages, it's surprising how active the Continental thread is. I wonder how many CL members would actually consider one for purchase or lease?

This could bode well for the Continental. As the old saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
I agree. But then, this car seems to bring about polarizing opinions -- you either love it or you hate it (perhaps even more so than the Camry!), with very little in between.
Old 11-06-16, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I agree. But then, this car seems to bring about polarizing opinions -- you either love it or you hate it (perhaps even more so than the Camry!), with very little in between.
And a lot of this thread has been the same few people going back and forth about the car, which makes it look like a hotter topic than it is.

I was looking threw my car channels on YouTube, still very few reviews of the car which leads me to believe the interest level out there isn't that great. No embargo either, because KBB did post a professional review.
Old 11-06-16, 08:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And a lot of this thread has been the same few people going back and forth about the car, which makes it look like a hotter topic than it is.

I was looking threw my car channels on YouTube, still very few reviews of the car which leads me to believe the interest level out there isn't that great. No embargo either, because KBB did post a professional review.
I thought of this after I looked at the number pages and replies. I guess it has longevity as a thread. I've been surprised too at how few reviews there are. I would think there would be a CT6/Continental comparison review before too long.
Old 11-06-16, 08:36 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Who cares how does it look? How does it drive?
Old 11-06-16, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Who cares how does it look? How does it drive?
Plenty of people have posted driving impressions in this thread...

I thought of this after I looked at the number pages and replies. I guess it has longevity as a thread. I've been surprised too at how few reviews there are. I would think there would be a CT6/Continental comparison review before too long.
Yeah, you would think. There were way more CT6 reviews when it came out...
Old 11-06-16, 09:40 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you are off on your assessment or you not really giving a true honest opinion. The interior is excellent, I would probably put it ahead of the German E class which is just so cold and bewildering in the types of parts and materials they use. The Conti is the real thing when it comes from the inside. Overall, the outside is fantastic but that is just my own opinion.

400hp is also pretty impressive considering what comparable sized engines are making from the Germans and Lexus.
Haha "ahead of the E class" i needed that laugh.
Old 11-06-16, 12:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Haha "ahead of the E class" i needed that laugh.
Its WAY better than the last E-class, if that is what Jill was referencing. The new E-class looks pretty darn close to the new S-class, and is nicer than the Continential. A new E-class is also $20,000 more expensive.
Old 11-06-16, 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Its WAY better than the last E-class, if that is what Jill was referencing. The new E-class looks pretty darn close to the new S-class, and is nicer than the Continential. A new E-class is also $20,000 more expensive.
Thats just the thing...depending on options that E Class may not be ANY more expensive than a Continental...thats the problem.
Old 11-06-16, 02:35 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The W212 was still better in every way.
Old 11-06-16, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

.............like you and me LOL? (And maybe Jill?)
Old 11-06-16, 05:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, we mentioned the embargo was lifted awhile back- that's when the C&D review and a few others were posted. There was definitely more interest for the CT6, but let's not act like Cadillac wasn't pushing it FAR more as well. There was even a Super Bowl commercial featuring it.
Old 11-06-16, 05:22 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have yet to see a Lincoln commercial or print add. It baffles me how they plan to sell a car that, outside of internet car nuts, no one knows exists.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental