Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17 | 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Jill, no offense bro,
Jill is a female.

I trust a Lexus with 200k miles more than a brand new Lincoln.
Not sure I'd agree. An older Lexus like that would not have as many electronics on it to fail as a new 2017 product, but that still is a lot of miles (and wear) on the drivetrain and the rest of the car.
Old 01-22-17 | 03:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Jill is a female.

Not sure I'd agree. An older Lexus like that would not have as many electronics on it to fail as a new 2017 product, but that still is a lot of miles (and wear) on the drivetrain and the rest of the car.
A well maintained LS with 200k miles is as good as new. We have several Toyota products in the family with well over 200k miles, all run like a top and I'd take any of them across country tomorrow if needed without thinking for a second.

I am lucky to have a brother who works at Lexus service all the cars in our family (he rarely ever posts on this forum). He always sends me texts when they have some stupid high mile Lexus come into their work. I can't count the amount of times I've seen an LX, LS, or GS come in with well over 300k miles and they are all still extremely reliable vehicles as long as the basic maintenance is done.

We are done with American cars, never again. The only American cars I can respect are actually not cars at all but their diesel trucks and a handful of performance cars. These normal civilian type sedans/crossovers/vans do not have my respect.
Old 01-22-17 | 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A well maintained LS with 200k miles is as good as new. We have several Toyota products in the family with well over 200k miles, all run like a top and I'd take any of them across country tomorrow if needed without thinking for a second.
Well, each to his or her own. That's up to you.

I am lucky to have a brother who works at Lexus service all the cars in our family (he rarely ever posts on this forum).
Invite him to, if he wants to or has the time. We could always use the opinion and input of an experienced Lexus technician.

We are done with American cars, never again. The only American cars I can respect are actually not cars at all but their diesel trucks and a handful of performance cars. These normal civilian type sedans/crossovers/vans do not have my respect.
Two things, though, to consider. First, because of parts-content origin and assembly-points, it's difficult, nowadays to determine what's an "American" car and what isn't, especially with Trump now wanting to tax anything that isn't actually assembled here. "American", today, is more of a function of the nameplate rather than the vehicle itself. Second, many "American" vehicles, today, are quite reliable.....this is not the 1980s or 90s, when the average American-nameplate vehicle, coming off the assembly plant, had to be practically rebuilt in the dealer service-bay, doing warranty-work, before all the defects were out of it.
Old 01-22-17 | 06:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Jill, no offense bro, but I will take a 1992 LS400 over the new Lincoln.

I trust a Lexus with 200k miles more than a brand new Lincoln.
That is a bit extreme. There's no way I'd do the same. Lack of prestige or not, the Continental isn't that bad.
Old 01-22-17 | 07:03 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Lincoln does have quite an aggressive fleet sales program in place through 50 dealerships, so there is a chance that a good number of those sold haven't been sold for personal daily driving.

​​​​​​http://www.automotive-fleet.com/news...t-program.aspx
Old 01-22-17 | 07:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I've already addressed that in previous posts...what an excellent deal it is for 45-50K to start. Steve has also made the case for its livery-buisness function. What else do you want us to add?
Yes I wanted to make the point about that in the context of the sales numbers. I have noted that you often repeat yourself many times over on historical points in your posts in terms of saying the same thing over about cars, models etc. It's just a thing that happens on long threads.
Old 01-22-17 | 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yes I wanted to make the point about that in the context of the sales numbers. I have noted that you often repeat yourself many times over on historical points in your posts in terms of saying the same thing over about cars, models etc. It's just a thing that happens on long threads.
Oh, definitely. I know that I can, and do, get long-winded about cars.......as, being an ex-pilot, ex-FAA employee, and ex-tour-guide from the National Air and Space Museum (a volunteer job), I also can about aircraft, in the proper time and place. Some people complain about my speaking and writing style, but talking about autos and aircraft is somewhat of a passion with me. That's why I have the logo I do. I also (usually) don't just talk in one-liners, but try and explain myself.
Old 01-22-17 | 08:20 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I am lucky to have a brother who works at Lexus service all the cars in our family (he rarely ever posts on this forum). He always sends me texts when they have some stupid high mile Lexus come into their work. I can't count the amount of times I've seen an LX, LS, or GS come in with well over 300k miles and they are all still extremely reliable vehicles as long as the basic maintenance is done.
Yep. I too went through the whole spectrum of Detroit cars and then watched as the Japanese basically usurped American FWD vehicles with better quality control and durability. I have been stranded on distant highways with Detroit vehicles a couple of times and I simply can't go back. I admire the Conti for its value and understated styling but a long term owner always defaults to Japanese, and Korean.

The Lincoln is a very nice car with its features and I realize that in some locales, this is a good car.
Old 01-22-17 | 08:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Oh, definitely. I know that I can, and do, get long-winded about cars.......as, being an ex-pilot, ex-FAA employee, and ex-tour-guide from the National Air and Space Museum (a volunteer job), I also can about aircraft, in the proper time and place. Some people complain about my speaking and writing style, but talking about autos and aircraft is somewhat of a passion with me. That's why I have the logo I do. I also (usually) don't just talk in one-liners, but try and explain myself.
Lol. No I wasn't addressing anything with the length of your posts. Gosh, it sounds like you're looking for a job with that preamble. I too have some aviation in me. But I was merely addressing your answer to me. I recall that for a lot of your posts it was about some Buick in your high school days, the smell of the Envision's seats or something about your younger days with muscle cars etc, etc. etc. Anyway, you repeated yourself many times ad infinitum. I too repeat myself but that's what happens sometimes.

You said the Conti should not be discounted and you were right, as was SW15 who may also be right about fleet and livery sales. I just wanted to say that it might be the vehicle that luxury car buyers are overlooking.
Old 01-22-17 | 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

SW15's always right. That guys pretty sharp
Old 01-22-17 | 08:51 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Talking

Lol. Thanks Donald.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 Lincoln Continental-donald.jpg  
Old 01-22-17 | 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lol. No I wasn't addressing anything with the length of your posts. Gosh, it sounds like you're looking for a job with that preamble. I too have some aviation in me. But I was merely addressing your answer to me. I recall that for a lot of your posts it was about some Buick in your high school days, the smell of the Envision's seats or something about your younger days with muscle cars etc, etc. etc. Anyway, you repeated yourself many times ad infinitum. I too repeat myself but that's what happens sometimes.
I brought up the Envision's seats because I was doing a static-review of the vehicle at the time, and I thought the seats, besides being a little small for my big frame, also had a somewhat unusual smell not typical of most new vehicles I've sampled. Perhaps (?) that was because it was Chinese-built and reflected the materials they used in the Chinese plant.

You said the Conti should not be discounted and you were right, as was SW15 who may also be right about fleet and livery sales. I just wanted to say that it might be the vehicle that luxury car buyers are overlooking.
Steve and I both agreed on its potential attraction to the limo/executive business. Steve, though, felt (and I assume he still does) that the Cadillac CT6's RWD/AWD platform was inherently superior to the Continental's Taurus-derived FWD/AWD platform with the transverse engine. That is true for high-speed handling and stability on the Autobahn, but, in the Continental's case, I didn't feel that the transverse FWD layout was a handicap, given typical American driving conditions and this car's (likely) clientele. And, all else equal, the FWD gives better standard winter traction without having to upgrade to AWD. Last, IMO, the Continental has a better base engine...a N/A V6 instead of a turbo 4.

As far as overlooking it, it's on the (possible) list for my next new vehicle. I tend to like big Buicks, and the new 2017 LaCrosse has superb fit/finish (except for a cheap-looking steering wheel and gauge-panel)...but the non-defeatable engine start/stop function at stoplights (you can't switch it off) and the annoying E-shifter may be deal-breakers for me. Both the Continental and the MKZ (and the superb V6 Chevy Impala) avoid those problems.
Old 01-22-17 | 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lol. Thanks Donald.
i always write the best words lol
Old 01-22-17 | 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
i always write the best words lol
Well, run for office, Steve. Obama and Trump both proved that anybody in America can be elected President.
Old 01-22-17 | 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You couldn't pay me enough money lol

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental