Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Interesting to note that for January '16 the Continental outsold the CT6 1,167 vs. 634. Only one month, but still a wide spread.
Fleets. Gobbling them up!

They had several at the DC Car Show, two you could sit in and one up on a pedestal. One of the ones you sat in interestingly enough inside was trimmed like the concept with the blue and all the chrome trim.

They were ignored. Funny thing was the second time I went they weren't even unlocked.
Old 02-01-17, 01:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't really see the Continental as being a car that would draw a crowd at a car show in the first place. By the time the Cadillac CT6 hit the B-list auto shows it didn't seem to have a crowd either.
Old 02-01-17, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't really see the Continental as being a car that would draw a crowd at a car show in the first place. By the time the Cadillac CT6 hit the B-list auto shows it didn't seem to have a crowd either.
Last year both the Continental and the CT6 were freshly released and not on sale yet, both were at the DC show roped off, the CT6 drew a much bigger crowd. Even this year, there were people looking at the CT6s and sitting in them, Lincoln was just empty.
Old 02-01-17, 01:59 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do have to admit as much as I like the idea of the Continental the CT6's exterior is much more of a head turner. How it will age remains to be seen as recent Cadillacs look very dated very quickly. If the Cadillac had the Lincolns interior it would be a win. The GM interior in the CT6 kills it for me, just not a cohesive or interesting design. The Continental interior is simple, but at least looks well thought out and the materials make sense where they are placed.
Old 02-01-17, 02:07 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Starting to see Continentals on the road in LA, all Livery vehicles.
Old 02-01-17, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Same in DC
Old 02-01-17, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Last year both the Continental and the CT6 were freshly released and not on sale yet, both were at the DC show roped off, the CT6 drew a much bigger crowd. Even this year, there were people looking at the CT6s and sitting in them, Lincoln was just empty.
Nobody was sitting in the Continental for a reason. They had it locked. A shame, too, since it was a gorgeous Paladium-White-Gold color, with a stunning interior.

When I was at the show Tuesday, both the Continental and (maybe?) the CT6 were locked up. I had noticed, on the smaller Lincoln MKZ, when I had tried the shift-paddles, that the entire assembly for the right shift-paddle loosened up right in my fingers and pulled right out of its hole, dangling by an electric cord. When I pointed that out to the Lincoln rep, she mentioned that several luxury-brand displays there, including Lincoln and Cadillac, had had some damage to their vehicles from the crowd, including wiper arms and some interior hardware pieces like that. She said they locked up the Continental to prevent any further damage inside. One or two models over in the Cadillac display, I noticed, had also gotten some interior damage, and they were locked up, but I can't remember if the CT6 was among them.

The reps told me it was the first time something like this had ever happened to their vehicles at the D.C. show, though not necessarily the first for the Philly show and in some other places with more-rowdy crowds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-17 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nobody was sitting in the Continental for a reason. They had it locked. A shame, too, since it was a gorgeous Paladium-White-Gold color, with a stunning interior.
They weren't locked the first day I was there. There were two on the floor you could sit in, that one and the one with the dark blue interior (black label) I mentioned also.

When I went back yesterday (we kept missing each other I'm sure!) the Continentals and the regular CT6 were locked, but the CT6 plugin was not...which is odd.
Old 02-01-17, 07:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Fleets. Gobbling them up!

They had several at the DC Car Show, two you could sit in and one up on a pedestal. One of the ones you sat in interestingly enough inside was trimmed like the concept with the blue and all the chrome trim. I couldn't even get in a Jeep Cherokee at the Fort Worth Auto show and that model has been out for years.

They were ignored. Funny thing was the second time I went they weren't even unlocked.
That's because unless something is a wild concept car everyone is SUV-crazy right now. I couldn't even get in a Jeep Cherokee at the Fort Worth Auto Show, and that model has been out for years now.
Old 02-01-17, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Would love to see the proof of this.
Old 02-01-17, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What's to prove? When you see a car on the road in most states you can tell if it's a livery vehicle because of their license plates. He's relaying what he's seen, it can't be "proven"
Old 02-01-17, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

IMO, without moving up to the 300K class Bentley or Rolls, they probably couldn't have made a better choice.

I can easily see myself in a Continental, though it would be somewhat difficult to park in my condo spaces (and some other places I regularly drive), and I have some misgivings about Lincoln reliability.
Old 02-02-17, 12:38 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Would love to see the proof of this.
Yeah, let me get right on trying to take pictures on my phone while driving to appease you.

As SW15LS noted, it's easy to delineate livery vehicles either by license plate, or in LA they also have TCP (Transportation Charter Permit) numbers on the bumpers.
Old 02-03-17, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

i still haven't seen one.
Old 02-03-17, 03:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I saw a bunch of these in NYC now, as limo fleets are using them.

From the rear it looks great, even rear quarter view is nice.
But then the side is completely ruined by the FWD proportions and the hood is just so short.
Looks very weird and unappealing.

CT6 and G89/G90 look much better.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental