Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 12:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The golden age was before the war on sedans...Lexus will never sell more LS sedans than they do now. Almost every single sedan model is suffering a decline. There is no going back.
Why do you keep making these statements like you actually know? You don't.

People were saying sports cars or muscle cars would be dead too and that has not happened, they have been bringing many back.

A good looking sedan, good performance, at a good price will sell.

Last edited by UDel; 10-06-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 12:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'd say expect a pretty big refresh in a year or two for the LS500. Won't change the size or shape until the next redesign (if there even is another LS) but I'm sure they'll be addressing the complaints.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll drop the V8 that I know Lexus is developing in it.
And they will likely try to market it as being really special, call it a LS-F, charge a big premium for it and it won't sell because the premium is too high unfortunately like what has happened to the GS-F, RC-F. They need to understand buyers are not going to pay really big premiums for bigger engines/more power they think they will pay and price them more realistically.
Old 10-06-19, 01:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol... 'never' is a long time. and i disagree completely. i believe lexus will turn it around. an ev LS with a more practical design/space would sell better than the current one!

i consider the ls500 to be fancy but not innovative. my g90 could probably also be considered fancy but not innovative but it is 20K less expensive and it's certainly roomier.

again so definitive. and i disagree. 20 years ago whoever was saying suvs/crossovers would FAR outsell sedans was probably considered insane. well here we are.

the tesla 3 shows a new innovative SEDAN can make a real dent in the market, especially in places like California and many european countries.

if the range anxiety and quality become less of a perceived issue, the 3 could take off even further. and the y is really just a taller 3 - is it a crossover? i don't really care what it's called, but is it more practical? sure.

even the distinction between 'sedan' and 'crossover' is getting more and more blurred. bmw contributed to that with 'gran coupes', subaru with its outback station wagon / crossover, then there's kia soul, niro, hyundai kona.

honda and toyota continue to sell probably over 100K sedans a month so they're not going away any time soon. did see an interesting article the other day from a tesla fanboy site asking why would anyone buy an accord or camry when a tesla 3 is as roomy, faster, safer, and cheaper to operate. good question!
I believe every single Toyota or Lexus sedan in their current generation is selling at lower unit levels from the preceding generation before. I honestly do not see a Lexus LS in any way selling better in the future than it currently is in sedan form. . An EV LS would probably do OK, but I was never really referring to my sedan comments with EV designs in mind. LS is only alive because Lexus sells it in so many world markets, once that slows, there is no return.

If you think a LS in petrol or sedan form will be growth area for the company, then I will take your word for it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-06-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 03:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
And they will likely try to market it as being really special, call it a LS-F, charge a big premium for it and it won't sell because the premium is too high unfortunately like what has happened to the GS-F, RC-F. They need to understand buyers are not going to pay really big premiums for bigger engines/more power they think they will pay and price them more realistically.
Agreed that would be an issue. I was thinking they could detune it, lose a turbo, whatever, etc. and make it the base engine.
Old 10-06-19, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'd say expect a pretty big refresh in a year or two for the LS500. Won't change the size or shape until the next redesign (if there even is another LS) but I'm sure they'll be addressing the complaints.
That's what they did in 2010 with the ES......a significant mid-generation update, without a major redesign. They tried to cost-cut the 5th-generation ES in 2006 (after a superb 4Gen model..the best ES ever done, IMO), and had to address customer complaints of deterioration in ride, noise isolation, and interior trim. They made some improvements in all three, in 2010, without a major redesign. Lincoln, of course, also did the same on the MKZ for 2017. Perhaps we will see that on the LS in a year or two.......hope you're correct.
Old 10-06-19, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

They did the same thing with the ES in 2016.

issue is the LS’ issues aren’t cost cutting, it’s inherent to the design of the vehicle and intentional. Not as easily corrected.
Old 10-06-19, 06:26 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Nothing less than a complete redesign will fix the LS. Not sure Lexus has it in them considering the shrinking sedan market. And I surely don't see them having the fortitude to put the amount of R&D money into the LS to make it a worthy competitor to the upcoming S-Class. P

I think they have given up the fight. At least the fight for #1.
Old 10-06-19, 06:41 PM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's what they did in 2010 with the ES......a significant mid-generation update, without a major redesign. They tried to cost-cut the 5th-generation ES in 2006 (after a superb 4Gen model..the best ES ever done, IMO), and had to address customer complaints of deterioration in ride, noise isolation, and interior trim. They made some improvements in all three, in 2010, without a major redesign. Lincoln, of course, also did the same on the MKZ for 2017. Perhaps we will see that on the LS in a year or two.......hope you're correct.
When it comes to the LS,Lexus should have known better. Because after the ES goof, they then turned around and screwed up the the 2013 Toyota Avalon thinking for some odd reason customers wanted to feel more bumps. They had to rush a fix. Then comes the LS and same mistake. Toyota/Lexus needs to get their act together and keep the “no more boring cars” mantra for the styling ONLY. Because they are screwing up luxury, quietness, comfort, and plushness in the process.
Old 10-06-19, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by n134sky
When it comes to the LS,Lexus should have known better. Because after the ES goof, they then turned around and screwed up the the 2013 Toyota Avalon thinking for some odd reason customers wanted to feel more bumps. They had to rush a fix. Then comes the LS and same mistake.
^^^^ Yep, there were, and are, some people on Car Chat who still, even today (I won't name any names....they know who they are, insist that Toyota did not make a serious mistake with the 2013 Avalon. They claimed that a so-called "changing" demographic no longer wanted a soft-riding Avalon. I got criticized by those members for posting about it......when Even Toyota itself admitted it was an error.

Not only did Toyota screw up the 2013 Avalon's suspension/tires, but also used less-solid and more flimsy-feeing materials inside. Both these problems, to an extent, were corrected for the 2016 model.

The real problem is that, with a few exceptions, auto manufacturers are designing sedans (at least the ones still in production) for auto-journalists, who, as a group, are clearly sport-oriented then the general public itself. And then they wonder why sedan sales are down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-06-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, we've gotten off topic. Anybody on CL see a limited-production suicide-door Continental on the road yet? I haven't...even in the D.C. area, where you might expect some for limo firms. New York City, particularly in Manhattan, might (?) be another place you could expect to occasionally see one.
Old 10-06-19, 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, we've gotten off topic. Anybody on CL see a limited-production suicide-door Continental on the road yet? I haven't...even in the D.C. area, where you might expect some for limo firms. New York City, particularly in Manhattan, might (?) be another place you could expect to occasionally see one.
I have seen more Continentals than I have LS500.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-06-19 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have seen more Continentals than I have LS500.
Same here. But I haven't seen any of the special-edition Continentals yet on the road, with the front-opening rear doors. Maybe celebrities, diplomats, and other VIPs have all the planned-production already spoken for.
Old 10-07-19, 05:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

There are only 80, I do not expect to ever see one in person.
Old 10-07-19, 05:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Same here. But I haven't seen any of the special-edition Continentals yet on the road, with the front-opening rear doors. Maybe celebrities, diplomats, and other VIPs have all the planned-production already spoken for.
I think you have a better chance of seeing Bigfoot.
Old 10-07-19, 05:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
There are only 80, I do not expect to ever see one in person.
80 is pretty exclusive. Never seen an LFA on the road, this would be even more rare.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental