Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

There's no gear shift lever at all...
Old 12-19-15, 12:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh I guess that's a windshiled washer stalk, thought that was the shifter ala Mercedes.

Where is the gear shift then??? Don't tell me its those 3 buttons right next to the touch screen where you might accidentally hit one fiddling with the screen.
Old 12-19-15, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, it's a push button to the left of the screen. Terrible.
Old 12-19-15, 01:53 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Too bad the interior does not match the exterior. When I looked at the interior spy shots- looks like a Ford center stack. Should've spent some extra money to make it unique. I see the same thing with the Escape/MKC. Different on the outside, but not enough difference on the inside- where you spend your time.
Old 12-19-15, 03:57 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

To be fair, it's actually not that far away from the concept interior if you take away the chrome:

Old 12-20-15, 03:12 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

bland fwd looking car.
Old 12-20-15, 08:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Interior and dash will reduce this car to a lot of criticism. Ford/Lincoln should well know by now they have to compete inside and out. Some things never change.
Old 12-22-15, 07:47 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Interior and dash will reduce this car to a lot of criticism. Ford/Lincoln should well know by now they have to compete inside and out. Some things never change.
I think the issue is that Lincoln feels they need to stand on tradition and incorporate a retro look to their interiors. Most who would remember that look are either dead or aren't driving anymore. That philosophy almost killed Jaguar, and they finally figured out they needed to go modern and move away from history to be successful.
Old 12-22-15, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think the issue is that Lincoln feels they need to stand on tradition and incorporate a retro look to their interiors.
Sure wouldn't hurt.

Most who would remember that look are either dead or aren't driving anymore.
While I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it. There are plenty of us left who well-remember the classic Lincoln interiors of the 1960s and will STILL be driving for a long time yet.

That philosophy almost killed Jaguar, and they finally figured out they needed to go modern and move away from history to be successful.
Where has it really gotten them? Their U.S.-market sales figures are still quite low. And they have alienated the classic Jaguar afficionados that liked the acres of beautiful wood trim and Connally leather.

I'll agree with you, though, on the Lucas electrical systems....they absolutely needed to go. Those Lucas systems were horrendous, not only on Jaguars, but almost any British-designed vehicle they were used on.
Old 12-22-15, 08:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're still driving, but are you spending $70,000 on a new Lincoln?

Jaguar is doing quite well.
Old 12-22-15, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You're still driving, but are you spending $70,000 on a new Lincoln?
I will (likely) be in the new-car market myself within the next 12-18 months. (my new-car cycle is usually around 5 years). I haven't ruled out an MKC or the latest version of the MKZ. That's also the case, though, with some new Buicks and the latest Lexus ES350 (yes, even with the spindle-grille LOL).

Few Lincolns, BTW, actually run that much (70K), except perhaps for a well-equipped Navigator. I recently reviewed a new top-line MKX, and, even with virtually every option on it, it still ran about 60K. (Jill and a few others made a big deal about having a 60K sticker-price on a Lincoln). We'll have to wait and see what the Continental runs when Lincoln does the pricing on it....my guess is starting maybe around 50K

I could afford 70K if I wanted a vehicle bad enough, but I generally choose not to spend huge amounts on new cars. I'd rather have a less-expensive new one, more often.

Jaguar is doing quite well.
Maybe in this area, where a lot of people have money and virtually everything sells, but Jaguar is not that popular nationwide.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-22-15, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I will (likely) be in the new-car market myself within the next 12-18 months. (my new-car cycle is usually around 5 years). I haven't ruled out an MKC or the latest version of the MKZ. That's also the case, though, with some new Buicks and the latest Lexus ES350 (yes, even with the spindle-grille LOL).

blah blah

I could afford 70K if I wanted a vehicle bad enough, but I generally choose not to spend huge amounts on new cars. I'd rather have a less-expensive new one, more often.
So, to make a very long story short...no you're not spending $70,000 on a new Lincoln. This is the issue. Buyers who look back longingly at old Lincolns are out of their prime spending years, they're retired...if they're still alive. Thats not a market anybody who creates a lifestyle product should be chasing.

Few Lincolns, BTW, actually run that much (70K), except perhaps for a well-equipped Navigator. I recently reviewed a new top-line MKX, and, even with virtually every option on it, it still ran about 60K. (Jill and a few others made a big deal about having a 60K sticker-price on a Lincoln). We'll have to wait and see what the Continental runs when Lincoln does the pricing on it....my guess is starting maybe around 50K
THIS Lincoln is going to be the Flagship, and if its truly supposed to compete with flagships, $70,000 is cheap. The question is now that Lincoln HAS DONE, because thats been a failure, its what they will do or should do.

If this vehicle starts at $50k, which is about what its worth with the transverse layout, then discussing it in the same sentence as the XT6 makes no sense. Like I said...this competes with the XTS and the Acura RLX...its not a legitimate flagship car like the XT6 is aimed to be.

Maybe in this area, where a lot of people have money and virtually everything sells, but Jaguar is not that popular nationwide.
A luxury brand doesn't have to be setting sales records to be doing well. Jaguar is doing just fine, its a worldwide brand, making good cars now. Doing WAY better than Lincoln.
Old 12-22-15, 10:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
So, to make a very long story short...no you're not spending $70,000 on a new Lincoln.
I rarely make a long story short......you've known me long enough to know that LOL.

This is the issue. Buyers who look back longingly at old Lincolns are out of their prime spending years, they're retired...if they're still alive. Thats not a market anybody who creates a lifestyle product should be chasing.
Actually, one's pocketbook is often at its highest during the late 50s to mid-60s......just before retirement, when one is at the earning peak. Retirement usually brings an income cut, but, again, it differs from person to person.

THIS Lincoln is going to be the Flagship, and if its truly supposed to compete with flagships, $70,000 is cheap. The question is now that Lincoln HAS DONE, because thats been a failure, its what they will do or should do.
Well, we know right off the bat that it's not going to compete with the likes of the Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-series....that's obvious because of the powertrain/platform layouts. So, one cannot expect an S-Class or 7-series-level price tag.

If this vehicle starts at $50k, which is about what its worth with the transverse layout,
So, you're agreeing with me, then.....that's where we'll (probably) see the pricing?

hen discussing it in the same sentence as the XT6 makes no sense. Like I said...this competes with the XTS and the Acura RLX...its not a legitimate flagship car like the XT6 is aimed to be.
I found the RLX to be superior to the XLS in a test-drive...but that's just my subjective opinion, not necessarily fact. As far as the CT6 goes, it looks nice in images (so does the Contnental), but I'll withhold final comments until I've actually seen it and (hopefully) driven it.

A luxury brand doesn't have to be setting sales records to be doing well. Jaguar is doing just fine, its a worldwide brand, making good cars now. Doing WAY better than Lincoln.
Worldwide, I'd agree. Lincoln, to my knowledge, does not even sell or operate in many countries. But I never claimed that Lincoln was doing better than Jaguar.
Old 12-23-15, 07:08 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I rarely make a long story short......you've known me long enough to know that LOL.

Actually, one's pocketbook is often at its highest during the late 50s to mid-60s......just before retirement, when one is at the earning peak. Retirement usually brings an income cut, but, again, it differs from person to person.
You're absolutely right on this. Baby Boomers control over 70% of the wealth right now. With that said, I'm a Baby Boomer in my 50's buying in this segment and I don't even remember the iconic, traditional Lincoln interiors so anything that would harken back to that era would be lost on me. I remember the tacky, gaudy Lincolns of the 70's that had the bustle trunks. After that, I'm not really familiar with any Lincolns other than the LS (which was outstanding in its time with the V8 engine but a cut-rate interior) and the ubiquitous Town Cars that are now used by transportation companies. This is why Lincoln needs to move forward and forget the past.

I will say I like the new MKC and MKZ but there is still so much platform and parts-sharing with Ford I just don't see how one can justify the price.

Also, I'm glad you are on this forum. You have lots of knowledge to share and lend a different perspective!
Old 12-23-15, 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Baby Boomers want to feel young, not old. They want things that remind them of youth, not of age.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental