Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus luxury SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15 | 02:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
even toyota/lexus has finite resources and has to prioritize, so lx drew the short straw for upgrades.
LX is only Lexus vehicle where US is just a side market.. Arab LX got more option packages and limited edition supercharger last year... of course, it sells a lot more there than in US so thats why they are giving it more attention.

I would not be surprised that with constant rise of arabian LX sales, LX today outsells LS worldwide. Biggest markets - GCC countries are constantly growing and they have a lot of room to grow too.

This is awesome as it means that eventually full model LX change will be given a lot of attention.
Old 04-07-15 | 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
... I would not be surprised that with constant rise of arabian LX sales, LX today outsells LS worldwide. Biggest markets - GCC countries are constantly growing and they have a lot of room to grow too.

This is awesome as it means that eventually full model LX change will be given a lot of attention.
good post.

i know some don't like suv's, but i think big space, easy/graceful entry/exit and comfy ride is very luxurious which is why i think it's no surprise luxury suv/cuv market is huge. while the lx may not do that great in the u.s., i believe it could if updated... i mean look at range rover, they're selling well, and of course escalade, even the lesser gm brands sell TONS of loaded denali's etc.
Old 04-07-15 | 10:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good post.

i know some don't like suv's, but i think big space, easy/graceful entry/exit and comfy ride is very luxurious which is why i think it's no surprise luxury suv/cuv market is huge. while the lx may not do that great in the u.s., i believe it could if updated... i mean look at range rover, they're selling well, and of course escalade, even the lesser gm brands sell TONS of loaded denali's etc.
yah, but maybe priorities in Arab countries and priorities in USA are different? Lets see what happens... RX gives me hope that previously boring vehicles can become great :-)
Old 09-11-15 | 04:10 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

the girlfriend got a GX460 in Feb after looking at many SUV's. an RX type replacement would not work for her. She had a few requirements and there where not many SUV's that fit the bill, carry 4-5 adults comfortable, good on forest roads and low range 4wd, and the ability to tow 6000-7000lbs. The 3rd row is nice, but the low range 4wd and the towing is way more important. The 21 mpg we get going down the highway is a big ++++.
Old 09-11-15 | 04:18 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
LX is only Lexus vehicle where US is just a side market.
Actually the GS450h and the LS600hL are too. They sell in single digits in the US but sell in thousands in Japan.
Old 09-11-15 | 10:56 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Originally Posted by NMBruce
the girlfriend got a GX460 in Feb after looking at many SUV's. an RX type replacement would not work for her. She had a few requirements and there where not many SUV's that fit the bill, carry 4-5 adults comfortable, good on forest roads and low range 4wd, and the ability to tow 6000-7000lbs. The 3rd row is nice, but the low range 4wd and the towing is way more important. The 21 mpg we get going down the highway is a big ++++.
Why not marry her?
She has better taste than many people here.
Old 09-12-15 | 10:19 AM
NMBruce
Rookie

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Why not marry her?
She has better taste than many people here.
not her thing
Old 09-12-15 | 04:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Actually the GS450h and the LS600hL are too. They sell in single digits in the US but sell in thousands in Japan.
thats just an engine choice though, not a complete vehicle. There will always be some engines not offered in the US, hopefully (means they are developing them for other markets).
Old 09-12-15 | 04:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NMBruce
How do you like the fact that it is BOF? How about the rear door?
Old 09-12-15 | 05:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How do you like the fact that it is BOF? How about the rear door?
BOF definitely gives a jittery ride. The rear gate is annoying in the rain along with parking too close to a house or car. I have learned to deal with it. the window hatch helps sometimes with limited reach.

Last edited by tecman; 09-13-15 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-12-15 | 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
BOF defiantly gives a jittery ride.
No...not in all cases. BOF in itself doesn't necessarily give a jittery ride. Much of it depends on how they do the suspension, wheelbase, axles, and tires. The Cadillac Escalade ESV, GMC Yukon XL, Lincoln Navigator L, and Dodge Ram 1500 (yes, you heard right....a full-size pickup), all prove that if the engineers do the underpinnings right, you can get a smooth ride and low noise level with a truck-based BOF. Of course, these are all very large, heavy, and with the exception of the Ram, quite expensive vehicles...it IS very unusual to find a small, inexpensive BOF vehicle with a smooth ride. in fact, in the American market, it's getting hard to find small BOF vehicles, period.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-15 at 06:21 PM.