Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 05:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayberk
I don't understand the nay sayers. Where's the problem with having a 3rd row option. If you don't want it you can get the standard 2 row RX and if you wan't the 3rd row you go for this option. Why limit the appeal of the RX. And I don't even think it would be a usable 3rd row but if people are asking for it why not give them.

That said I also expect a rise for the 2016 RX prices since there isn't much difference between base NX and RX prices? Or am I wrong?
because having 3rd row changes rear end completely... from design to space in both 2nd row and trunk. And besides, Lexus is doing specific model - TX, with 3rd row.

As to the prices, I believe there is already something like $6k-$7k difference in base prices.
Old 04-10-15, 06:56 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
because having 3rd row changes rear end completely... from design to space in both 2nd row and trunk. And besides, Lexus is doing specific model - TX, with 3rd row.

As to the prices, I believe there is already something like $6k-$7k difference in base prices.
It doesn't have to change any of these. Just take a look at the 7 seat European MPVs the third row disappears completely and you get a 5 seater. And how do we know they are actually going on with the TX? A few outlets have actually reported there will be a 7 seater RX next year.
Old 04-10-15, 07:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It doesn't have to change any of these. Just take a look at the 7 seat European MPVs the third row disappears completely and you get a 5 seater. And how do we know they are actually going on with the TX? A few outlets have actually reported there will be a 7 seater RX next year.
My dealer says the 3rd row will be in the '18 model.
Next year,two years.three years....a 3rd row is coming.
Old 04-10-15, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

3 years is too long...why does it have to take them so long to do anything?
Old 04-10-15, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

That said I also expect a rise for the 2016 RX prices since there isn't much difference between base NX and RX prices? Or am I wrong?
i also expect a 2-3k rise on '16 rx which they will say is due to increased standard equipment.
Old 04-10-15, 08:01 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Hello everyone, my first post here on CL !

I have been following this thread & figured I should chime in

In addition to Autoblog, i have seen few other auto journalists mentioning that the new RX w/ 3 rows is coming in 2016 ; so those of you hoping for the 3rd row may not have to wait that long if these rumors are true.
Old 04-10-15, 11:29 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a 3rd row, why not get the GX? I wonder how many potential RX buyers walked away because of the 3rd row issue. Does Lexus have this figure?
Old 04-10-15, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
If you want a 3rd row, why not get the GX? I wonder how many potential RX buyers walked away because of the 3rd row issue. Does Lexus have this figure?
The GX isn't as spacious, comfortable, carlike, or as efficient as a 3 row crossover vehicle. I just shopped this segment, I wouldn't even consider a GX.
Old 04-10-15, 12:01 PM
LoveCT
Driver

So much discussion about whether Lexus should be providing a third row. If I may chime in:
I am right now in the market for three row crossover, and depending on whether it fits my requirements or not, I may have to go to minivan route. I am almost close to putting my money in a QX60. Am I happy about it? No, knowing that it is far from the reliability Lexus stands for. Would I have loved if Lexus released a 3 row crossover? Absolutely.

I found nothing derogatory in the article quoted. It actually sums up my thoughts to the tee. Why I need a three row? We are a young family of 4. Yes the DI2K types. And kids are always famished and need to take turns to be taken care of while travelling. One adult can tend to one kid in the second row, while the other kid can be at the third row. Yes, we all know the third row is not suitable for adults, we get that. Very few families carry seven or eight adults frequently. Heck very small number of families have seven or eight kids. But a lot of them have 2-3 kids. Yes a family of 2, 3 kids needs three row. And yes, there is a big market for this.

I just don't understand why would some members ask others to justify the need for three row, when obviously they would have a relatively harder time to justify a big suv with 5 seats, when a smaller one is available. Add to the fact that the 5th seat in the centre is not usable in any way. So why 5 seats, for example?

Yet some members are justifying the introduction of the 4 gen RX 5 seat, right in the heels of newly introduced NX. Why? Would it not have been good to actually let NX breathe a little in North America, and come up with a 3 row crossover (if there is one) earlier instead of the RX? So that there was a less chance of cannibalization? To people who says NX and RX doesn't have a potential to kill each other, give your head a shake. There are people who will try to decide one or the other come their RX lease expiry and then the NX lease expiry. Which said in another way, deprives the true potential of either of the two models, right from the honeymoon period. Why would you want prospective buyers to be competing within the same make right from the beginning? This 4 gen RX could easily have been brought in the next year after NX has settled in a bit. Meanwhile, a three row crossover could have come in, so that prospective buyers could be a little less confused.

Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Acura all do three rows. Mercedes is the only example that l feel Lexus seems to want to emulate, albeit with no small crossover (GLA).
And no, Toyota is not Lexus. Highlander look and feel isn't even close to RX. RAV4 is no NX. Seriously. Avalon? Maybe that's the the closest Toyota can get to Lexus, but definitely not Highlander or RAV4

Last edited by LoveCT; 04-10-15 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-10-15, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i also expect a 2-3k rise on '16 rx which they will say is due to increased standard equipment.
I suspect that's another reason why 2-row 2015 RX models are selling well right now, even with some NX competition from below....people taking advantage of the current lower price and/or incentives. At first, 2-3K extra may not sound like much when you are talking about a vehicle that routinely sells in the low-40s to low-50s range. But, compounded over the length of a 5 or 6-year car loan period with interest, that can make maybe not a huge, but significant difference in the monthly payments.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-10-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-10-15, 01:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
So much discussion about whether Lexus should be providing a third row. If I

chime in:
I am right now in the market for three row crossover, and depending on whether it fits my requirements or not, I may have to go to minivan route. I am almost close to putting my money in a QX60. Am I happy about it? No, knowing that it is far from the reliability Lexus stands for. Would I have loved if Lexus released a 3 row crossover? Absolutely.

I found nothing derogatory in the article quoted. It actually sums up my thoughts to the tee. Why I need a three row? We are a young family of 4. Yes the DI2K types. And kids are always famished and need to take turns to be taken care of while travelling. One adult can tend to one kid in the second row, while the other kid can be at the third row. Yes, we all know the third row is not suitable for adults, we get that. Very few families carry seven or eight adults frequently. Heck very small number of families have seven or eight kids. But a lot of them have 2-3 kids. Yes a family of 2, 3 kids needs three row. And yes, there is a big market for this.

I just don't understand why would some members ask others to justify the need for three row, when obviously they would have a relatively harder time to justify a big suv with 5 seats, when a smaller one is available. Add to the fact that the 5th seat in the centre is not usable in any way. So why 5 seats, for example?

Yet some members are justifying the introduction of the 4 gen RX 5 seat, right in the heels of newly introduced NX. Why? Would it not have been good to actually let NX breathe a little in North America, and come up with a 3 row crossover (if there is one) earlier instead of the RX? So that there was a less chance of cannibalization? To people who says NX and RX doesn't have a potential to kill each other, give your head a shake. There are people who will try to decide one or the other come their RX lease expiry and then the NX lease expiry. Which said in another way, deprives the true potential of either of the two models, right from the honeymoon period. Why would you want prospective buyers to be competing within the same make right from the beginning? This 4 gen RX could easily have been brought in the next year after NX has settled in a bit. Meanwhile, a three row crossover could have come in, so that prospective buyers could be a little less confused.

Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Acura all do three rows. Mercedes is the only example that l feel Lexus seems to want to emulate, albeit with no small crossover (GLA).
And no, Toyota is not Lexus. Highlander look and feel isn't even close to RX. RAV4 is no NX. Seriously. Avalon? Maybe that's the the closest Toyota can get to Lexus, but definitely not Highlander or RAV4
Give your head a shake, the NX and RX are different sizes, different class of buyers, and different prices to eat each others sales.
Old 04-10-15, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Are 3-row SUVs a mainly North American thing? On anything the size of an X5 or smaller, the third row is only for kids or really short adults, and cargo space is reduced to almost nothing. You would have to go up to Q7 size before you get a decent third row.
to me it's right along the idea about "why do you want navigation? hardly use it". it's not about how often you use, but the time when you wish you have it.

we have gx and we hardly use the 3rd row. but the few times when we have visitors and the ability to go out for dinner without driving 2 cars? nice

Originally Posted by BrickHead
gx is a very different car. it's a true suv, it doesn't ride anything like cuv. and it's also more expensive with a v8 that's not as gas friendly.
Old 04-10-15, 02:04 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
So much discussion about whether Lexus should be providing a third row. If I may chime in:

the NX is not a true 5 seater, definitely not for burger loving americans as Clarkson would say. The way the RX slopes down at the rear end, is a 3rd row really serviceable? The highlander is more squared at the back end. They should just make the next GX a 3 row cross over.
Old 04-10-15, 02:11 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Give your head a shake, the NX and RX are different sizes, different class of buyers, and different prices to eat each others sales.
After my head shake, here is what I get:
Different sizes? Just in length? Between 3 RX to 4 RX added 5 more inches to differentiate from NX, according to your definition. So now 10 inch difference to differentiate from NX. Adding more cargo in 4 RX are you compared to 3RX?

Different class of buyers huh?
Can you elaborate please? Cuz they are both moving to sporty vehicles. Or perhaps I am not getting your class.

Different prices?
5-6k difference. Enough for you to jump from one to another?

So what class of buyer are you? Can you please distinguish yourself from NX class? Given that you likely are an RX enthusiast, would you just have bought the 3 RX in your next purchase if 4 RX did not appear? Or would you have tried the NX?

Now if you look at Q5 vs Q7, BMW X1 vs X3 vs X5 (3 row), RDX vs MDX, you definitely see a progressive trend and definite difference.
So which class is RX?

So what do you get after your second head shake?
Old 04-10-15, 02:16 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by situman
the NX is not a true 5 seater, definitely not for burger loving americans as Clarkson would say. The way the RX slopes down at the rear end, is a 3rd row really serviceable? The highlander is more squared at the back end. They should just make the next GX a 3 row cross over.
I would hazard saying even RX is not a true 5 seater? Which 5th adult would fit nicely in an RX? NX is 73.6 inch wide vs RX 74.6 inches.
Yes the current design of RX couldn't have the 3rd row option, no way. But why could they not design to fit keeping the third row in mind. Surely BMW, Audi, Acura could. GX third row crossover, is a good idea. But it is too little too late, don't you think? Coming from the make that actually started the luxury crossover model.

Last edited by LoveCT; 04-10-15 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York