Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 02:19 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by situman
the NX is not a true 5 seater, definitely not for burger loving americans as Clarkson would say. The way the RX slopes down at the rear end, is a 3rd row really serviceable? The highlander is more squared at the back end. They should just make the next GX a 3 row cross over.
I totally agree that they should just make the next GX a crossover. We will definitely come back to the Lexus family for it! I understand this depends on the middle eastern market....
Old 04-10-15, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

IS - 183 inches
GS - 190 inches
LS - 200 inches
LSL - 205 inches

so i say 10 inches makes it quite a big difference in length. i mean, it can be a freaking class difference

for less than 20 inches, you go from entry level lexus to flagship lwb
Old 04-10-15, 11:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
IS - 183 inches
GS - 190 inches
LS - 200 inches
LSL - 205 inches

so i say 10 inches makes it quite a big difference in length. i mean, it can be a freaking class difference

apparently all of those compete since they are all 5 seaters.
Old 04-11-15, 04:48 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hunch is that the 2016 RX will get 3rd row seats as an option (a la X5), as was stated by (albeit) unofficial reports. The reason Lexus is not making an official announcement to that effect yet is because it wants to sell the remaining 2015 RXs and GXs. Otherwise, sales of those models will plummet as potential buyers will simply wait for the new 3rd row RX to show up in late 2015 or early 2016.
Old 04-11-15, 04:56 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
IS - 183 inches
GS - 190 inches
LS - 200 inches
LSL - 205 inches

So length has now become the sole determinant of class? So RX 4 gen is a full size CUV up from mid size as it is a full 5 inch longer? The answer is no, it is still a mid size cuv competing against MDX, ML, Q7, X5 and perhaps qx60. The additional 5 inches could have been much better used.

Let me tell you, people's buying decision does not confine to one specific class. If you read the forum, often you'll come across people asking whether to get the rc or is or gs. Different class but sporty for sure. To me, Lexus could have easily filled a hot segment sooner rather than crowd another segment in rapid quick succession. And that is why the RX was the biggest loser in New York.

Last edited by LoveCT; 04-11-15 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 05:00 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by gyrase321
My hunch is that the 2016 RX will get 3rd row seats as an option (a la X5), as was stated by (albeit) unofficial reports. The reason Lexus is not making an official announcement to that effect yet is because it wants to sell the remaining 2015 RXs and GXs. Otherwise, sales of those models will plummet as potential buyers will simply wait for the new 3rd row RX to show up in late 2015 or early 2016.
No way man! The sloped roof just wouldn't handle a third row. The confinement experience will not be any different from getting in the MRI chamber.
Old 04-11-15, 05:10 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LoveCT
No way man! The sloped roof just wouldn't handle a third row. The confinement experience will not be any different from getting in the MRI chamber.
I'm not sure the sloped roofline isn't a visual illusion that hides adequate space for a 3rd row. None of us has seen the new RX in person or sat inside of it. Lexus is very methodical about product planning and positioning. There is no reason that it would stretch the new RX if placement of a 3rd row was not the intention for the growth in length. We just have to be patient for the actual car to show up.
Old 04-11-15, 05:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure the sloped roofline isn't a visual illusion that hides adequate space for a 3rd row. None of us has seen the new RX in person or sat inside of it. Lexus is very methodical about product planning and positioning. There is no reason that it would stretch the new RX if placement of a 3rd row was not the intention for the growth in length. We just have to be patient for the actual car to show up.
I agree.
1" or 2" maybe...but 5"?
Same length as the Highlander which has a 3rd row.
A 3rd row may come in a year or two but I believe it's coming.
Old 04-11-15, 05:26 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 3rd row

It's no mystery ... It's already been announced ...3 rd row coming 2016 . It's the only reason they added the extra length . RX s have always had plenty of rear leg room
Old 04-11-15, 05:53 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by LordBowral
It's no mystery ... It's already been announced ...3 rd row coming 2016 . It's the only reason they added the extra length . RX s have always had plenty of rear leg room
So what about the TX? Thing is, it is still a big mystery. And so far we're depending on one blog as if it is a Lexus Press Release. Will Lexus release anything without putting a concept first to get a market reaction? When is that? 2016? Then the journalist release followed by mass release. It's a long wait if at all it is happening. If they were going for a 3 row, they should have at least mentioned it in a press release, maybe as indirect as it could be. So far, nothing. Which tells me nothing is final yet.
Old 04-11-15, 06:50 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LoveCT
If they were going for a 3 row, they should have at least mentioned it in a press release,
Lexus would be shooting itself in the foot if it did that. The 2015 RXs and GXs are selling very well. Telling people that a 2016 RX will have a 3rd row will cause the sales of those 2015 models (especially the GXs) to drop to zero, as potential buyers will just wait for the 2016 RX to arrive. Lexus is waiting to clear out the 2015 inventory before making a definitive announcement about 3rd row availability on the 2016 RX. If I was running Lexus, this is exactly what I would do.
Old 04-11-15, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Hello everyone, my first post here on CL !

I have been following this thread & figured I should chime in

In addition to Autoblog, i have seen few other auto journalists mentioning that the new RX w/ 3 rows is coming in 2016 ; so those of you hoping for the 3rd row may not have to wait that long if these rumors are true.

Welcome to CL. As you can see, you joined right in the middle of a long thread where there are many opinions (including yours) as to what should happen to both the RX and GX.
Old 04-11-15, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
I totally agree that they should just make the next GX a crossover.
Once the 3-row RX, with the expanded length and wheelbase, debuts next year, there probably won't be many reasons to keep the GX at all....or to make a GX crossover. A good case might (then) be made for dropping it.
Old 04-11-15, 07:21 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL. As you can see, you joined right in the middle of a long thread where there are many opinions (including yours) as to what should happen to both the RX and GX.
Thanks ! I agree some of us may have potential to become Auto journalists ourselves 😄

Thanks to internet and forums like CL sharing opinions has never been easier lol
Old 04-11-15, 07:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I might not have sat in it but I did see the '16 RX Tuesday. There might be enough room for a third row if they move the second row forward. They'd also have to do something about the sloping tailgate. And maybe that floating roof design is to accommodate a larger window in the future. Right now it's pretty small. Like you said, we'll have to wait and see. It's not like the third row rumor started recently. I can remember hearing it before the 2RX came out back in 2003.

Quick Reply: Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York