Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Door courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 02:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Door courtesy lights

Anyone on here lament at the idea that door contest ligbts are becoming harder and harder to find these days?

I always thought that door courtesy lamps adds the finishing touch on a nice interior.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-10-15, 02:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Anyone on here lament at the idea that door contest ligbts are becoming harder and harder to find these days?

I always thought that door courtesy lamps adds the finishing touch on a nice interior.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Not sure what you mean. Every car I've had since in the past 20 years has had these.
Old 05-10-15, 02:58 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my x5 is very well illuminated, the dash, the door cards, the back of the front seats. I can change the colors from orange, to blue, to white and even combine the variety.
Old 05-10-15, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I haven't found this missing in cars either, what cars are you looking at that are missing it?
Old 05-10-15, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There are two different types of door lights.....which one are you referring to?

One type is the "courtesy" light, which is usually built into the lower or rear part of the door so that it lights up whatever is on the ground outside of the car for you at night. That, of course, is done so that you can see if you are going to step out of the car into a water puddle, mud, ice, snow, leaves, etc.......This type actually serves a useful function, and is nice to have.

The other type of door "light" is actually just an illuminated scuff-plate or kick-panel on the bottom of the door-jamb, usually with the car's logo on it, which IMO is really just a cosmetic gimmick and, though nice to look at, is more for show than for any useful function at night. These are often available as dealer add-on-accessories.

Old 05-10-15, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are two different types of door lights.....which one are you referring to?

One type is the "courtesy" light, which is usually built into the lower or rear part of the door so that it lights up whatever is on the ground outside of the car for you at night. That, of course, is done so that you can see if you are going to step out of the car into a water puddle, mud, ice, snow, leaves, etc.......This type actually serves a useful function, and is nice to have.

The other type of door "light" is actually just an illuminated scuff-plate or kick-panel on the bottom of the door-jamb, usually with the car's logo on it, which IMO is really just a cosmetic gimmick and, though nice to look at, is more for show than for any useful function at night. These are often available as dealer add-on-accessories.

I am taking about the ones on the doors.

The Tundra removed them after the 09 year, only 4Runner limited have them, F150 no longer has them , Lexus IS removed the rear doors, Avalon removed rear doors.

I am not sure if GM has deleted the from some of their models

I just think they are really classy to have.
Old 05-10-15, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am taking about the ones on the doors.
That's what I thought...but just wanted to make sure.

The Tundra removed them after the 09 year, only 4Runner limited have them, F150 no longer has them , Lexus IS removed the rear doors, Avalon removed rear doors.

I am not sure if GM has deleted the from some of their models

I just think they are really classy to have.
I can't answer to all of those specific vehicles, but in some cases, it is likely just cost-cutting, and of course, eliminates a couple of bulbs to burn out and/or wires to short out, keeping the bulbs lit when the doors are closed and draining the battery (I've often seen that happen with underhood, trunk, or glove box lights when the lids are closed and you don't notice). With the Lexus IS, perhaps (???), my guess is the main reason for eliminating them in back is that the rear seat is so cramped that adults probably won't be using it most of the time, and that it will be mostly small children getting in and out (who usually don't care much about keeping their feet/shoes clean in the first place). For the F-150, again, my guess is that the added expense that Ford took on by using so much aluminum in the truck's basic construction, while keeping the list price down, forced it to cut some other features to compensate (or keep former ones cut that previously were cut), and, Bingo......no more door-lights. As for the Tundra, Avalon, and 4Runner, I'm not going to speculate..........your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-10-15 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 05:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

You forgot a 3rd type of "courtesy light"--where the interior lights stay on for 30-60 seconds after the door is closed, and usually come on when you unlock the car.
Old 05-11-15, 05:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I can't answer to all of those specific vehicles, but in some cases, it is likely just cost-cutting, and of course, eliminates a couple of bulbs to burn out and/or wires to short out, keeping the bulbs lit when the doors are closed and draining the battery (I've often seen that happen with underhood, trunk, or glove box lights when the lids are closed and you don't notice). With the Lexus IS, perhaps (???), my guess is the main reason for eliminating them in back is that the rear seat is so cramped that adults probably won't be using it most of the time, and that it will be mostly small children getting in and out (who usually don't care much about keeping their feet/shoes clean in the first place). For the F-150, again, my guess is that the added expense that Ford took on by using so much aluminum in the truck's basic construction, while keeping the list price down, forced it to cut some other features to compensate (or keep former ones cut that previously were cut), and, Bingo......no more door-lights. As for the Tundra, Avalon, and 4Runner, I'm not going to speculate..........your guess is as good as mine.
Funny--I always saw those more as safety features than convenience. I thought those lights were there so passing motorists could see the door was open at night.
Old 05-11-15, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Funny--I always saw those more as safety features than convenience. I thought those lights were there so passing motorists could see the door was open at night.
Partly true. The same effect can be (and sometimes is) at less cost with headlight-reflectors instead of lights. But your point is well taken.

In fact, now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if either lights or reflectors become a Federal safety mandate.
Old 05-16-15, 03:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup. On non-luxury cars, they used to have in on all 4 doors in the early 90s, then the cost cutting came and now it's just the front doors (if at all. The Corolla, for example, had no door courtesy lights in the last generation. I think it's back for the last one).

European cars even had a trunklid-mounted red light for safety so that if you're on the side of the road, that red light mounted high (when the trunklid is opened) can be seen up the road.
Old 05-16-15, 05:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

My running board lights are sufficient (replaced with high output LEDs) so I went with the Lexus logo projector for fun.

Last edited by tecman; 05-16-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 12:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Thought the lower door courtesy lights were a law. I hadn't noticed them missing on cars, but I'll start paying attention to see.
Old 05-17-15, 05:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think they are - as the name suggests, they're a convenience item (a courtesy light).

Some Hyundai models, for example, only have the red light for notifying traffic that a door is open and doesn't have an actual courtesy light illuminating the ground. In other cars, like the last generation Corolla, there's no light whatsoever.

Hyundai Sante Fe with the red "alert type" light

2009 Corolla with no door courtesy light.
Old 05-17-15, 07:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thought the lower door courtesy lights were a law. I hadn't noticed them missing on cars, but I'll start paying attention to see.
Doesn't look like it. My wife's Mazda has them only on the front doors, but my BMW has them front and rear.