Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

should car battery still be replaced in 5 years if not driven frequently?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 09:32 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default should car battery still be replaced in 5 years if not driven frequently?

if a car is not driven frequently, will a battery still need to be replaced in the typical 5 years even though the battery has less wear and tear than a daily driver's?
Old 05-14-15, 09:40 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If the car isn't driven frequently, will it even make it 5 years?

On a side note, I am still on my original battery in my 09 C350, October 2008 delivery...
Old 05-14-15, 11:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There is more wear on a lead acid battery if left alone for a long time without maintaining full charge. I would argue your battery will last long if your car gets driven everyday so as long as your commute isn't 1 mile down the road.
Old 05-14-15, 11:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
if a car is not driven frequently, will a battery still need to be replaced in the typical 5 years even though the battery has less wear and tear than a daily driver's?
All depends. Our LX450 is 18 years old and we get a new battery every 6 years. We do it for peace of mind. Never had a battery go bad on us.

I think the size of the battery really makes a difference, the LX battery we have is always done at the Toyota dealer in Rochester NY and they use a pretty large battery.

Perhaps the quality of the vehicle design and how it charges the battery might make a big difference as well.
Old 05-15-15, 06:16 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is infrequently?I have a car that gets driven maybe once a week on the weekends. The battery lasted 7 years before needing to be replaced. I would think if you drove your car less than that, you would. If you can, get a battery trickle charger. On the other hand, 5 years is pretty much within normal lifespan of a car battery anyway.
Old 05-15-15, 03:23 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

once or twice a week, short distance. a few miles.

I'm still using the original battery from 2007.

However, a few times the battery drained too low because of car electronics slowly draining it.
Old 05-17-15, 04:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
once or twice a week, short distance. a few miles.

I'm still using the original battery from 2007.

However, a few times the battery drained too low because of car electronics slowly draining it.
That's 8 years, not 5. Personally, after 8 years, I'd just go and get it replaced. Nothing screws up your day like a car that won't start. The last time that happened to me, I had the entire family with me, and had to wait an hour for AAA.
Old 05-18-15, 05:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

I always replaced batteries every 3-4 years when I drove cars that long as a preemptive measure. Batteries are cheap, why not replace them routinely to avoid being stranded somewhere?
Old 05-18-15, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I always replaced batteries every 3-4 years when I drove cars that long as a preemptive measure. Batteries are cheap, why not replace them routinely to avoid being stranded somewhere?
Part of the problem is that most of today's non-hybrid vehicles (high-performance/sports cars and some pick-up trucks excepted) lack an ammeter/charging gauge to show you the state of the battery charge. They usually just have a simple red idiot-light to show when a severe state of discharge exists (which is most likely to happen at idle with a lot of electrical accessories in use). A gauge, of course, gives you a better idea of how much the battery is charging, how often it charges, and how much may be actually be left in battery or alternator life (batteries gradually lose the ability to hold a charge as they get older, and need more frequent recharging), and alternators can also lose efficiency.

I personally would like to see alternator/charging and oil-pressure gauges made standard in all new vehicles by regulation, but there's no sign of that happening any time soon.
Old 05-18-15, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I personally would like to see alternator/charging and oil-pressure gauges made standard in all new vehicles by regulation, but there's no sign of that happening any time soon.
I don't have an issue with cars not having these gauges. People have no idea what they're looking at...
Old 05-18-15, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't have an issue with cars not having these gauges. People have no idea what they're looking at...
They will if the instructors at Driver's Ed 101 actually earn the money they charge for the course......and do some teaching. Oil pressure from the oil pump and current from the alternator are two of the engine's life bloods. If I were teaching a driving course, both would probably be covered the first day.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to change the battery every 3-4 years as a precaution...it certainly isn't (and $80 or so usually won't break most people). But many batteries, if the alternator doesn't crap out, can go a lot longer than that (the longest I've seen is about 7 years). The old Sears DieHard and Exide batteries used to have a lifetime warranty on failing to hold a charge, though I think that the lifetime part on them has recently been cut back.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not worried about driving schools teaching people to read oil pressure or battery gauges...I want them to actually teach people to drive which they aren't doing now.
Old 05-18-15, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not worried about driving schools teaching people to read oil pressure or battery gauges...I want them to actually teach people to drive which they aren't doing now.
Oh, I agree....they should be teaching both, like they did when I got my license. Today, for too many people,"driving" means rolling down the street while reading the newspaper, drying one's hair, using an electric razor, texting, playing video games, eating breakfast, trying to adjust the I-Drive/MMI, etc......everything but actually watching the road.