Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need more detailed info on Lane Departure, Lane Guidance and Lane Keep Systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 06:29 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need more detailed info on Lane Departure, Lane Guidance and Lane Keep Systems

I'm aware of the basic concept of these systems. I've heard various systems from many manufacturers.

What I don't know is:
-Are these systems only active when cruise control is on?
-Some of these systems will steer the car automatically. Is it possible for me to override it? Or do I have to play tug-of-war with the system (me vs the vehicle computer system)
and probably the most critical
-What if the road markings are inconsistent? Or that there are overlapping lane markings? Will it conflict the system?
Old 05-17-15, 12:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I'm aware of the basic concept of these systems. I've heard various systems from many manufacturers.

What I don't know is:
-Are these systems only active when cruise control is on?
-Some of these systems will steer the car automatically. Is it possible for me to override it? Or do I have to play tug-of-war with the system (me vs the vehicle computer system)
and probably the most critical
-What if the road markings are inconsistent? Or that there are overlapping lane markings? Will it conflict the system?
1. You can turn them off via button
2. You can over-ride it with your own input,, plus their steering input is relatively low.
3. If it cant read the road, it wont do anything.

These things work automatically, radar cruise control only controls radar cruise control. Automated braking is separate and works only when it detects crash situation (while radar cruise controls set distance between vehicle ahead).

All of these system together are pretty useful if you sometimes dont keep full attention on long highway drives.