Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrids...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 05:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah but it's still a prius
If I could get the exact same deal my friend got, I would buy it right now, it was that cheap
Old 06-03-15, 06:15 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

The brands and models frequently used for taxi service are going to hold up and have less expensive upkeep along with fuel economy. Taxis are a business and all those things affect the bottom line. BUT, don't rule out non-taxi cars because you're not going to run it anywhere as hard as the taxi company will. I'm not saying the taxis are a bad choice, you just have a little more flexibility than taxi companies do.
Old 06-03-15, 07:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
I'm planning to get a hybrid for my next commute car, either a Honda Accord V6 Hybrid or the Camry Hybrid (both used). Anyone know much about the battery life/replacement/warranty/etc etc? and information would be appreciated, my first time buying a hybrid. I'm thinking long term. Thanks
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...liability.html

Consumer Reports Blasts Honda Civic Hybrid Reliability

Hybrid vehicles are considered a risky long-term purchase by some, with unknown reliability of hybrid batteries and worries of possible replacement costs. While those fears may be exaggerated, Consumer Reports has found some damning evidence on one particular model: the Honda Civic Hybrid.

For Consumer Reports’ April 2013 issue, the magazine finds that while other hybrid vehicles have an excellent reliability report, the Civic Hybrid has been plagued with serious problems.

“The Civic Hybrid, which has been a reliable car overall in most years, has a big problem with its drive battery,” the report starts. “The 2009 model was the worst: Almost one in five owners needed a replacement hybrid battery in our 12-month survey period.”

The issues aren’t limited to just the 2009 model either. “But more than 10 percent of owners of the 2003, 2004, and 2010 models also needed one.”

Honda offers an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty for Civic Hybrids, which can also go up to 10 years/100,000 miles depending on the state. Many of the models above should still be covered under warranty, but if they aren’t, a replacement battery isn’t cheap, coming in between $2,000 and $4,000.

According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration’s SaferCar.gov website, there are 9 complaints on 2009 Honda Civics, the majority of which cite the electrical powertrain as a potential safety hazard.

Honda has no official response, though the automaker did share with AutoGuide an email sent to Consumer Reports after the report was published.

“We are sorry to read that some of your Honda Civic Hybrid subscribers have experienced IMA battery issues during their ownership,” it reads. ” While the majority of Honda owners experience very few problems with their vehicles, we regret the inconvenience that any repair imposes on our customers.”

Honda also claims that a software update was issued to protect older models of the car from premature battery failures.

“Honda provided a software update to owners of 2006-2008 Civic Hybrids to help extend the life of the IMA battery and will continue to provide the most updated technology to our customers as it becomes available,” continues the email.

While Honda has yet to comment on how many battery replacements have been issued, the company did issue a technical service bulletin (TSB) in late 2012 which extends the IMA battery warranty. On vehicles that were covered for 10 years/100,000 miles, the battery is now covered for 11 years/137,000 miles. The TSB also helps vehicles that were covered for 8 years/80,000 miles, which are now covered for 9 years/96,000 miles. Replacement batteries that were bought are covered for 36,000 miles, or three years.

Honda switched to a new lithium-ion battery pack in 2012-2013 Civic Hybrid, (as well as Acura ILX Hybrid), and neither Safercar nor Consumer Reports have any reported complains with the electrical system.
Old 06-03-15, 07:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Before making any purchase, be sure to calculate your hybrid fuel savings vs. buying a non-hybrid. From the reports I've read in most magazines, it usually takes about five years or longer to recoup the extra money you spent paying for the more expensive hybrid model vs. the non-hybrid.
Personally, I'd throw a few diesel models into the mix of that comparison--especially if OP's commute is has a lot of highway miles.
Old 06-03-15, 07:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is not a valid reason. Not all people buy hybrid cars because they think they can save money over the short term. If I had done that, I would not have stepped up from a Corolla to an ES Hybrid which costs twice as much as the Corolla, yet only gets Corolla-like fuel economy. I realise the fact that I will not make back the extra money I spent for quite some time (perhaps never, since I leased).

Yet, I am satisfied knowing that I am using only as much fuel as my old Corolla for a much larger, much nicer car. It is particularly satisfying to know that when I am in stop-and-go commuting traffic, that my engine is off and running on battery power only, when most everyone else on the road (aside from the Camry Hybrid taxi and ES Hybrid airport limo) is contributing to the dreadful state of our local air pollution.

Buy the car that you want. If everyone crunched the numbers, Toyota would sell no Lexus models because Toyota has equivalent-sized cars that cost (much) less.
Frankly, there's a lot of things people do and buy without research or crunching numbers. I would say that you are in the minority by doing so.
Old 06-03-15, 10:19 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Frankly, there's a lot of things people do and buy without research or crunching numbers. I would say that you are in the minority by doing so.

You did not get my argument. My argument was that if everyone crunched the numbers (as some "economists" would like you to do), no one would buy hybrids, because they "do not pay off".

My argument is that if you want the hybrid and you do not mind paying the extra for the optional drivetrain, then do it -- forget about the pure economics of buying a hybrid. Look at it as another engine option. The Camry and the Accord have a 4-cylinder model, a V6 model and now also have another option, the Hybrid model.

Look at what you want, what each model offers, what each model costs and buy the one that you like the most.
Old 06-03-15, 10:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

You did not get my argument. My argument was that if everyone crunched the numbers (as some "economists" would like you to do), no one would buy hybrids, because they "do not pay off".

My argument is that if you want the hybrid and you do not mind paying the extra for the optional drivetrain, then do it -- forget about the pure economics of buying a hybrid. Look at it as another engine option. The Camry and the Accord have a 4-cylinder model, a V6 model and now also have another option, the Hybrid model.

Look at what you want, what each model offers, what each model costs and buy the one that you like the most.
But here you have an OP who is trying to educate himself on his purchase.
Old 06-06-15, 01:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd lean towards the Camry Hybrid. It's a 4 cylinder hybrid tuned for fuel economy. The 1G HAH was designed for performance (it's a V6 hybrid and at that time, had 10hp more than the regular Accord V6. It sold for about $1k more and had everything the EX-V6 had minus the moonroof).

The 2G Camry Hybrid (2012-current) will be more efficient than the 1G (2007-2011) as it uses the current generation of 4 cylinder engines (2.5 litre) vs. the older 2.4 litre engine. It also picks up the latest hybrid technology such as smaller/lighter/more powerful inverter, cooled EGR, exhaust heat recirculation (faster warm-up time) and a full ECO mode (1G only had ECO Heat/Cool for the climate control).

You won't be disappointed with either one. The interior of the 2012+ is better imo than the 2007-2011. I got around 6-6.5L/100km on the 1G Camry Hybrid as a rental in mostly city driving back in 2008.
Old 06-06-15, 03:24 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Accord Hybrid was pretty bad... Camry Hybrid is reliable.

Maybe check some other hybrids as well, but check their reliability - koreans had a lot of issues with their hybrid systems...
Were the accord's batteries failing? Was it cooling issues? Just curious if you can provide more details about what you know about them. Thanks.
Old 06-07-15, 01:18 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, your argument that Lexus would sell no hybrids is only true people bought hybrids solely for fuel economy and for savings in the long run. Plus, you would have to consider two vehicles that produce the same power. I will use the RX as an example. You pay more not only for the higher mpg numbers, for more 30 more horses, silent motoring, and also additional standard features and also features that aren't available in the gas RX. It is very hard to crunch the numbers exactly.
Old 06-10-15, 08:50 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you everyone for their inputs, I've managed to steer away from the Accord hybrid although the V6 would be lovely and decided to get the Camry hybrid, picking it up in a few days woohoo!
It's 07.

Last edited by energie8; 06-10-15 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 10:56 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!!