Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. 2016 Lexus IS300 and RC300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 03:50 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking that it would be nice if 200T f-sport gets more hp than regular. It's very easy for manufacturer to tune a turbo engine,
Old 06-15-15, 03:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I'm thinking that it would be nice if 200T f-sport gets more hp than regular. It's very easy for manufacturer to tune a turbo engine,
yep... but it will also lose something in the bottom end.... always a trade-off.
Old 06-15-15, 07:01 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

If the IS 300 rumor is true, it will be interesting to see how Lexus positions the three engine choices & to what end. Am not sure there is enough space between the new 2.0T and the current 3.5 V6 in terms of performance etc ; or are there any other niches or reasons they are trying to address
Old 06-15-15, 09:40 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep... but it will also lose something in the bottom end.... always a trade-off.
If you have seen Ford performance map for ecoboost, the power gain is everywhere. Trade off maybe engine durability, but we're talking about 20-30hp here, not 50hp gain. I don't see any stress to the engine at all.
Old 06-15-15, 10:38 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

3 engines for IS/RC makes sense.

200T is for enthusiasts with a budget who also wants decent MPG while enjoying the instant torque curve of the FI engine

300 is for the current 250 buyers, basically just want a daily diver with smooth V6, not really care about performance, hence the rumor of AWD only available on this trim, i see a lot of loaners will be made up by the 300 rwd trim

finally the IS350, it should be self explanatory, it's the top performance trim, i won't be surprised they squeeze out 10-20 hp out of the old and proven 3.5 mill
Old 06-16-15, 04:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

If you have seen Ford performance map for ecoboost, the power gain is everywhere. Trade off maybe engine durability, but we're talking about 20-30hp here, not 50hp gain. I don't see any stress to the engine at all.
with larger turbos, there is more of on/off effect - so it is slower to respond to gas pedal.
Old 06-16-15, 05:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its weird... i assume then that there is a packaging issue with 2.0t and AWD in some vehicles, cant see what else.
If that's the case, and most likely it is, that means the turbo engine was not even in the pipeline when IS was in the making. I guess market caught Lexus unprepared.

All answers will be revealed if GS200t AWD pops up on some market. That would definitely mean IS/RC are "too tight" for AWD setup with Turbo engine.
Old 06-16-15, 05:42 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmk1
How far can they really take the 3IS in terms of design improvement? Toning it down, simple changes, or aligning it with future Lexus designs on the way? Why hasn't one even seen the facellift GS yet, especially if sales begin in September?
Well I can definitely see the updated headlight cluster to bring it together with either RC or refreshed GS. I personally prefer RC LED stacking instead of typical inline alignment that all vehicles received after RC, but that makes RC even more exotic.
Old 06-16-15, 07:11 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Kaizen, it is likely the Lexus trainer only has information on 2016 model year offerings. The idea that the 2GR-FSE will not be replaced beyond that, may not be something they can accurately state or determine, if such information has been withheld from them by senior personnel.

In my own work, there are many things going on at Land Rover, that I am not fully aware of or privy to for security reasons. Jaguar concerns more of my duties, but still limitations between different programmes in some cases.

Why would that be the case? Lexus has trademarked both sets of IS200t/RC200t and IS300/RC300 in the U.S. market. They have also renewed the former two as of March 2015 (RC200t) and May 2015 (IS200t). They have not been abandoned either.

Kaizen has also reported both are coming for MY2016. Whether this applies differently in parts of Europe and Asia, is another question of course.
When the trainer was here I asked him when we were going to get a replacement for the GR series of engines, and he looked at me like I was mentally handicapped. Apparently, Lexus thinks that this engine has enough power, refinement, and mileage to stick around for a few more years at least. He said "I have no knowledge of Lexus working on a replacement for the current V-6." He would only confirm that we are going to be seeing more use of turbocharging on future engines. I hope he is wrong (wouldn't surprise me as some of guys at the dealership with our ear to the ground seem to know more about what's coming down the pipeline than the people they send to train us.....). I must say, judging by the past, Lexus/Toyota will keep an engine in production long after it's time is due just to save a few hundred million to develop a new one. With those GR series V-6's appearing in 2006 I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep throwing small updates at them through at least the 2018-2019 model year before we get something new. My fingers are crossed that I am wrong!
Old 06-16-15, 07:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
If that's the case, and most likely it is, that means the turbo engine was not even in the pipeline when IS was in the making. I guess market caught Lexus unprepared.

All answers will be revealed if GS200t AWD pops up on some market. That would definitely mean IS/RC are "too tight" for AWD setup with Turbo engine.
If they can shove a giant 3.5L with AWD for larger cars, they can shove the much smaller 2.0 with AWD in there. The 2.0L may be for markets with engine displacement restrictions due to taxes and etc like china has the 2.0L non turbo in the NX. Poor engine gotta work its guts out.
Old 06-16-15, 08:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by situman
If they can shove a giant 3.5L with AWD for larger cars, they can shove the much smaller 2.0 with AWD in there. The 2.0L may be for markets with engine displacement restrictions due to taxes and etc like china has the 2.0L non turbo in the NX. Poor engine gotta work its guts out.
Yeah size of the engine is not the issue, its definitely something else that's the issue with AWD setup and Turbo engine. NX is FWD based while IS is not and that's where I see the possible problem or some issue that makes them keep the V6 inside.
Old 06-16-15, 09:04 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

with larger turbos, there is more of on/off effect - so it is slower to respond to gas pedal.
We're talking about mapping. Software stuff, not hardware. Toyota is always conservative with their factory tune, I believe that their 2.0T can easily make 300hp with more aggressive mapping.
Old 06-16-15, 12:33 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

We're talking about mapping. Software stuff, not hardware. Toyota is always conservative with their factory tune, I believe that their 2.0T can easily make 300hp with more aggressive mapping.
Yes, no problem with the technology of today. Took a test drive with the latest Golf R ( 300 hp ) and that engine does really show that a 2 liter is more than enough in a smaller car. But then again, this is Lexus, so that wont happen, probably because it would be to fun and exciting for a TMC product
Old 06-16-15, 12:42 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Yes, no problem with the technology of today. Took a test drive with the latest Golf R ( 300 hp ) and that engine does really show that a 2 liter is more than enough in a smaller car. But then again, this is Lexus, so that wont happen, probably because it would be to fun and exciting for a TMC product
Time for the image shedders IS200t and RC200t.
Old 06-16-15, 03:31 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
When the trainer was here I asked him when we were going to get a replacement for the GR series of engines, and he looked at me like I was mentally handicapped. Apparently, Lexus thinks that this engine has enough power, refinement, and mileage to stick around for a few more years at least. He said "I have no knowledge of Lexus working on a replacement for the current V-6."
That's really disappointing to hear. Why is Lexus okay with a 10 year old 3.5 V6 that's had no changes or improvements at all?

Quick Reply: U.S. 2016 Lexus IS300 and RC300?