Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota in damage control mode after American exec arrested

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 05:41 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
doesn't this boil down to whether she had a prescription or not?
If she didn't have one,I'm sure she has one now.
Old 06-20-15, 08:04 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The sad part is, if she was actually going to sell some of those pills, she could be looking at life in prison. It's not the first case of a top level exec becoming adddicted to synthetic opiates, that stuff is strong but the side effects are severe.
Old 06-20-15, 09:06 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

My sense is she had them shipped to her for personal use.

I work in Regulatory for a big Pharma and would say that the US government is very sensitive about any funny business with oxy. The amount shipped seemed to be more than a std script. I wouldn't be surprised to see her have a headache from US law enforcement as well.

It will be interesting to see if Toyota's legal folks can find a soft landing for this mess.
Old 06-20-15, 10:12 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If she was carrying a substance that is prescription-legal in both the U.S. and Japan, had a signed prescription for it by a person licensed to practice medicine, then why all the hassles and formalities about a third step bringing it into the country?
Originally Posted by jer
doesn't this boil down to whether she had a prescription or not?
there is a little thing called Customs, the USA has these policies too. you can't just stroll into a country carrying narcotics without declaring it. or, for that matter, importing it in a container marked 'necklaces'
Old 06-20-15, 11:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
there is a little thing called Customs, the USA has these policies too. you can't just stroll into a country carrying narcotics without declaring it. or, for that matter, importing it in a container marked 'necklaces'
That's true (I'm not denying that), but that's not quite the issue I was getting at. Customs or not, It's not like she was bringing in a suitcase full of cocaine or heroin from Columbia like a drug-dealer. She may in fact have brought in (or packaged) the pills incorrectly, even with a legal prescription, but I'm not sure she did something that merits arrest and/or prison. And I'd say that about anyone, not just her because of her high corporate rank. As I see it, give her a small fine to pay, maybe, and an official warning letter not to do it again, and let that be that. My strong guess is she will get the message, and not repeat the action.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-20-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-21-15, 02:33 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hamp, who's your daddy ?
Old 06-21-15, 07:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
not only that, but you cant carry prescription medicine if it is illegal in that country... so US prescription is not valid in Japan, you have to declare it and then they would take it away from you, prescription or not.

Customs in US will also take anything from you that isnt legal in the US, no matter your prescription or laws in your own country.
Old 06-21-15, 10:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

this was clearly shady and concealment... 'necklaces'?

she broke the law and must receive the consequences. she should have known better.
Old 06-21-15, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

position of Toyota Communications Chief may be available soon. Update your resumes folks
Old 06-21-15, 11:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny thing is I had about 30 pills of oxy for my pain and I did not even know that it is used as a narc on the streets.

I took about 2-3 a day (depending upon pain) for about 5 days and when the pain went away, the pill bottle went into the the backend of the medicine cabinet. Few years later I see TV shows showing misuse of Oxy and was surprised that it is so addictive.

All I can say is I am glad that do not have addiction genes in me otherwise I would be in trouble by now.
Old 06-23-15, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is getting out of hand. Police raided Toyota HQ.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...st-report-says

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Toyota Motor Corp.'s headquarters was raided by police over the arrest of the company's new communications chief, Julie Hamp, for the alleged illegal import of painkillers, the Asahi newspaper reported today.

"We will continue to cooperate fully with the investigation," Toyota said in a statement. "We are refraining from commenting on any related matters while the investigation is still ongoing."

Toyota President Akio Toyoda apologized on Friday after Hamp, 55, an American and Toyota's first senior female executive, was arrested on suspicion of illegally bringing pain killers into Japan just two months after her appointment.

Toyoda also expressed support for Hamp, saying the company was confident the investigation would show she had not intended to break any laws.

Hamp told police she brought the drugs into Japan to treat pain in her knees, Kyodo News reported earlier today.
Old 06-24-15, 11:58 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is getting out of hand. Police raided Toyota HQ.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...st-report-says

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Toyota Motor Corp.'s headquarters was raided by police over the arrest of the company's new communications chief, Julie Hamp, for the alleged illegal import of painkillers, the Asahi newspaper reported today.

"We will continue to cooperate fully with the investigation," Toyota said in a statement. "We are refraining from commenting on any related matters while the investigation is still ongoing."

Toyota President Akio Toyoda apologized on Friday after Hamp, 55, an American and Toyota's first senior female executive, was arrested on suspicion of illegally bringing pain killers into Japan just two months after her appointment.

Toyoda also expressed support for Hamp, saying the company was confident the investigation would show she had not intended to break any laws.

Hamp told police she brought the drugs into Japan to treat pain in her knees, Kyodo News reported earlier today.
Looks like she had her Dad send over the drugs that were prescribed to him and he concealed them in the package marked as necklasses.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00531-san-soci

No doubt she will get off though, money buys you all sorts of stuff, apparently.
Old 06-25-15, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Looks like she had her Dad send over the drugs that were prescribed to him and he concealed them in the package marked as necklasses.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00531-san-soci

No doubt she will get off though, money buys you all sorts of stuff, apparently.
not so sure... pretty insane that police has raided 3 Toyota offices due to this arrest... not to mention that arrest was public and her being handcuffed was on all TVs.
Old 06-25-15, 03:30 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dad is at fault, not her
Old 06-25-15, 03:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Dad is at fault, not her
He probably will be in trouble too.
It's her fault because I feel she asked him to send her the drug.

Quick Reply: Toyota in damage control mode after American exec arrested