Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota in damage control mode after American exec arrested

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 05:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Don't assume that she will retire now, at age 55. She will return to the USA, may lay low for a while but I suspect if you do some digging in a year, she will be employed somewhere else.

Good PR people are always wanted. And people like Julie Hamp who have moved so far up the corporate ladder did not do so because they want to retire at 55 (or even 65).
i think she will be back in some high position within few months max... just not in Japan.
Old 07-02-15, 09:35 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think she will be back in some high position within few months max... just not in Japan.

I think she will be back with some small, up-and-coming (EV?) automaker, some auto-supplier or, if not, perhaps something not automotive-related.
Old 07-02-15, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

i heard she's going to join a pharmaceutical company for the 'benefits'
Old 07-02-15, 07:16 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Bit

I work for a big Pharma/Biotech company and on top of a happy face salary the benefits are amazing (401k match, bonus, stock grants (free stock, not options and you get the cash dividends on unvested shares), pension, deferred compensation plan, life insurance, free entry to tons of local museums, etc., pharmacy benefits above those included in the health Insurance, post retirement health insurance discounts).

All kidding aside, the quickest way you can find to lose all those goodies is to put your hands on "scheduled drugs" like oxy in inventory.
Old 07-02-15, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i heard she's going to join a pharmaceutical company for the 'benefits'
Obama will pick her for the next DEA chief.
Old 07-03-15, 10:29 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this was clearly shady and concealment... 'necklaces'?

she broke the law and must receive the consequences. she should have known better.
This was no "accident". Concealing Oxy in a package of cheap jewelry shows intent.

There is another point to be made here though - there is a worldwide crackdown on prescription drugs and you don't want to be in a position of being caught with anything suspicious in your luggage. If you take prescription meds of ANY kind and plan to travel, be sure to carry them in the original bottles with your prescription information clearly visible on the outside.

I know it's tempting just to throw everything into a big bottle when you pack and sort them out later - or for people who take several daily meds to put them in one of those containers with "daily" bins. I've done it myself. I've even carried my morning "set" in a small bottle that was labeled for only one of my prescriptions. It's more convenient that way . . . but it's dangerous. And I don't look good in orange.

Save yourself some time and embarrassment, always carry your scripts in their original bottles.
Old 07-03-15, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X

I know it's tempting just to throw everything into a big bottle when you pack and sort them out later - or for people who take several daily meds to put them in one of those containers with "daily" bins. I've done it myself. I've even carried my morning "set" in a small bottle that was labeled for only one of my prescriptions. It's more convenient that way . . . but it's dangerous. And I don't look good in orange.

Save yourself some time and embarrassment, always carry your scripts in their original bottles.
So, are you saying, Bob, that the daily "bins" are not acceptable for travel purposes out of the country? I use them myself for my own medications and vitamins/suppleiments....though I don'tt travel out of the country. In general, that is the whole purpose of their design....so you don't have to re-measure each prescription daily. But, I guess you're saying that one has to give up some personal convenience for travel purposes.

BTW, someone else (I won't say who) came up with a good joke for this incident................Julie "Hemp".
Old 07-03-15, 11:04 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BTW, someone else (I won't say who) came up with a good joke for this incident................Julie "Hemp".
Well because Julie Glaucoma would just sound ridiculous
Old 08-27-15, 12:40 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
That is a normal occurrence here, the police searching offices, homes etc. Not a big deal at all and I would not call it raiding offices, that is sensationalism. My guess is that are just interviewing other employees and seeing what she has in her offices.
Although the drug laws here are really strict, hence the handcuffing, once all the crap blows over, someone will talk to someone high up and make it go away ,some where down the line.
Ok, so can someone tell how right I was!!!!!

Hamp won't be be charged,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...yota/29852095/
Old 08-27-15, 05:35 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 55-year-old executive's resignation comes after Toyota publicly defended her, with President Akio Toyoda holding a televised press conference calling her a friend and an "invaluable" part of the company.
So we can probably all guess who those pills are really for...we all ask ourselves what akio was smoking when they come up with the predator face grills, well now we know what he was popping.

"In Japan, prosecutors have a huge amount of discretion in whether to prosecute a case. They will look at both their legal responsibility and social responsibility," They might have thought, 'That's punishment enough."
I guess in japan judges and juries are for decorations, just let the prosecutors decide what to do. Or the whole system is just corrupt as hell.
Old 08-27-15, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind

I guess in japan judges and juries are for decorations, just let the prosecutors decide what to do. Or the whole system is just corrupt as hell.
Well, she's already lost her job, which, at her level, had to be quite a high salary and benefits. And, given what we already know about the case, I'm not convinced she did anything deserving of Japanese prison time. She can't really be prosecuted here, either, as she had a legal American presciption for her pills......the problem was simply the way she had them packaged.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-15 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 06:03 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

In most of NA, prosecutors (district attorney, crown prosecutors, etc) decide if they want to lay charges or proceed to a grand jury based on the evidence handed over by the police and their judgement on the likelihood of a conviction.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-27-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 06:31 AM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Obama will pick her for the next DEA chief.
She'll do much better as the drug czar in the Trump administration. He'll revitalize the war on drugs in conjunction with the gazillion dollar border fence. There will be plenty of pain to go around.
Old 08-27-15, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by user420
She'll do much better as the drug czar in the Trump administration. He'll revitalize the war on drugs in conjunction with the gazillion dollar border fence. There will be plenty of pain to go around.
My DEA comment, of course, was meant as a joke. But I still don't think she is guilty of anything deserving prison time. As for Trump, I agree with you that he is a tough, non-nonsense guy. I don't think he will be the next President, but that is probably a topic for another forum, not Car Chat.
Old 08-27-15, 04:03 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

For starters, a case like this will not have a Jury. It has only been recently that Japan has started the jury system and only on trials like murder. Even then the judge has the option to overturn that verdict, which makes this a pointless system as best.

Quick Reply: Toyota in damage control mode after American exec arrested