Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ At least it doesn't say anything about taking it up the a**.
Old 04-14-11, 09:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
And now back to OP's subject matter...

Here it's $4.219 for Chevron regular today (4/12/11 morning), with a $.18 uplift for premium.
2 days later (4/14/11 morning) same prices listed above, what a difference a day makes (or doesn't).
Old 04-14-11, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

2 days later (4/14/11 morning) same prices listed above, what a difference a day makes (or doesn't).
Well, for that price, you're at least putting some good stuff into the tank...that's some consolation. Chevron and Shell are my two first choices, though Chevron is getting more difficult to find in my area.....some local Chevron stations have converted to Liberty, a cut-rate brand.

At least we get Shell discounts here with points on the Giant-grocery bonus-card.
Old 04-14-11, 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I don't beleive the credit company taking only 2% per gallon, if so, how do they provide 5% cashback on gas station. Its more like 7% per gallon
^^^ business and economics fail.

try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader
Old 04-14-11, 10:39 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ business and economics fail.

try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader
Recently, I notice that a lot of gas station has a lower price if pay by cash. For example. $3.49 for cash, $3.65 for credit (average $0.15 gap). In calculation, that’s a 4% different. If credit card charge only 2%, then why are these people selling them with a 4% discount for cash. Unless the credit card company charging them a $.30~$.50/per transaction, I don’t see why they are selling them for less profit. Someone here work in the gas station clarify this please.
Old 04-14-11, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Recently, I notice that a lot of gas station has a lower price if pay by cash. For example. $3.49 for cash, $3.65 for credit (average $0.15 gap). In calculation, that’s a 4% different. If credit card charge only 2%, then why are these people selling them with a 4% discount for cash. Unless the credit card company charging them a $.30~$.50/per transaction, I don’t see why they are selling them for less profit. Someone here work in the gas station clarify this please.
In my area (D.C. suburbs), for some reason, many stations don't have a cash/credit difference....it's the same price both ways.

I don't work in a service station myself, but in general, I can say that cash transactions are usually less work and red-tape for the stations to go through. As to why there's a 4% difference with a 2% merchant-fee, I can't answer that....as you say, someone else with service-station-experience will have to chime in.
Old 04-14-11, 11:46 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I havent bought gas with cash in at least 10 years. But anyways, not a lot of name brand gas stations in my area do that, only the lower end kind like Olympic or something
Old 04-14-11, 01:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't work in a service station myself, but in general, I can say that cash transactions are usually less work and red-tape for the stations to go through. As to why there's a 4% difference with a 2% merchant-fee, I can't answer that....as you say, someone else with service-station-experience will have to chime in.
I worked in a cash/check restaraunt for a long time and was amazed at how many people didn't have a clue that credit/debit cards cost the business money. And it's so much easier to deal with cash.
Old 04-14-11, 01:35 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

4.45 for premium
Old 04-14-11, 10:26 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Lucky you.

The Chevron at my place is now at $4.35 for Regular, $4.45 for Plus, and $4.55 for Premium.
Old 04-15-11, 07:58 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Question Rant: $4/Gallon

First, let me start by saying I could care less about the end result of MPG in my car (I understand more power equals more gas so it doesn't bother me as much).

It does however, bother me, whenever the head of drilling/rig operations for a MAJOR oiling company (here in the south) tells me in person (per a casual conversation) that they are making them HOLD on 60% of their rig drilling operations and take down half of them as well completely but at the same time we have the administration crawling to another country to ask for oil?

He couldn't divulge the details but I could see it in his eyes that something is wrong, very wrong with the situation.

It just cost me $72 to fill up my Lexus, now to some they might flinch and It hurts a little bit because I am always on the road for Business use (yes, in a lowered Lexus with coil overs! )

Thoughts from anyone else? Do you think that this is extremely fishy?
Old 04-15-11, 08:05 AM
Relapser
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you're talking about goes much deeper than fuel man..

It's all part of the new world order were about to face.. Hyper inflation, dropping of
Wages.. Cutting of social welfare.. Liquidation of jobs... Global currency etc etc

The people who are doing it are the same people who decided to invade Iraq, and Libya, and no it is not the bush government.

It's scary times were about to face world wide..

Aust dollar is matching us dollar for dollar now.
And it's plateauing at that.
That's kind of a worry

If you don't beleive me that were in for some ****

Check out stats of unemployment is 2001

Check out stats TODAY

check out fuel prices in 2001

Check out fuel prices today...

Check out the US minimum wage in 2001

Check out minimum wage today...

Worldwide there's going to be a huge shift in power
Old 04-15-11, 08:32 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
and oil companies are posting record profits year after year.

you'd think they could be a little more generous with the price gouging.

the only way to get your money back is to buy stocks in those companies.

Exactly. It's kind of like the law of diminishing marginal utility in economics. They keep us right on the edge with pricing - it's just cheap enough that people will continue to use it without cutting back average consumption. It's just barely affordable. I think once inflation in other areas (food, mainly) start reflecting oil prices more dramatically the price of oil will level off as demand decreases.

And for those talking about a Prius, you might want to reconsider. I'd at least do some serious MPG comparisons with turbo-diesels before I considered a hybrid.

Last edited by lemaylexus; 04-15-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-15-11, 10:01 AM
RBinDC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meowCat
The U.S. government (liberals I mean, lmao) and environmentalists are to be blamed for this.

Expect to see $10 a gallon in the U.S. in the near future.

Quote -

Read more: [url]http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/30/flashback-obamas-top-energy-aide-advocated-for-10-a-gallon-gas-prices/#ixzz1IUDpOOM3[/url

It's one of the perfect ways to ruin the country. Nice job. [sarcasm]
Western European countries have had high gasoline prices for decades and it hasn't seemed to have ruined them. The Germans,Austrians, Swiss, and French have a higher quality of life than we do!

If we added a $2.00 federal tax on gasoline we could pay off the national debt without screwing over the elderly and the poor by cutting their Medicare and Medicaid benefits. We could phase in the tax over 7 years to allow motorists time to switch into fuel-efficient vehicles.

Now surely you don't think it's more important for you to be wasting gas in your vintage Lexus than for less advantaged people to have adequate health care, do you? Or are you a tea-bag republican?
Old 04-15-11, 12:07 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

And for those talking about a Prius, you might want to reconsider. I'd at least do some serious MPG comparisons with turbo-diesels before I considered a hybrid.
at least in my area, diesel costs just about the price of premium unleaded, which is around $4.37 for the former and $4.45 for the latter. Factor in that the Prius can run on regular fuel for a savings of 20 cents per gallon, I'd say the Prius is still a better buy than the closest diesel competitor, the Jetta.

Quick Reply: Gas prices...