Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 12:56 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C$5.2390099 (US$5.4482) per US Gallon (regular)
Old 04-15-11, 01:21 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RBinDC
Western European countries have had high gasoline prices for decades and it hasn't seemed to have ruined them. The Germans,Austrians, Swiss, and French have a higher quality of life than we do!

If we added a $2.00 federal tax on gasoline we could pay off the national debt without screwing over the elderly and the poor by cutting their Medicare and Medicaid benefits. We could phase in the tax over 7 years to allow motorists time to switch into fuel-efficient vehicles.

Now surely you don't think it's more important for you to be wasting gas in your vintage Lexus than for less advantaged people to have adequate health care, do you? Or are you a tea-bag republican?
Yes, their gas is more expensive but their incomes are also higher then average American. They also have great mass-transportation system vs here. American are connected by highway/automobile, its a different culture when comes to transportation. We are the automobile culture, automobile is the way we live. Square by square, US is larger then west Europe.

If they added $2.00 federal tax on gasoline, many people will cut back their expense not only on oil but other spending as well. For some, they can’t even afford it. Moreover, it will cause a cost impact for businesses across the states. Have you think about the affect with high gas price?? Shipping company/airfare/factory/delivery service & all that consume oil/gasoline will have to raise their price. These cost will directly added to consumer as the business need to remain the cost/profit ratio. If consumer decides to cut back, less service/goods will be needed and resulting in layoff due to lack of work. In conclusion, they government would eventually lose more income tax.
We can’t switch to more efficient car in a month. It will take long time for the American to reach this goal. Why? Did god really create us in one day??
Old 04-15-11, 11:07 PM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stig
i dont understand this. If you only fill half the tank, you will be there twice as quicker?
Quicker? like weekly, more money in your wallet not in their register. More Gas in their tank not in your tank!!! In essence you left half of tank of gas in their possession not carrying it around in your car's tank. More inventory in their possession.
Attached Thumbnails Gas prices...-do-something.jpg  
Old 04-16-11, 02:45 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frankeysd
Quicker? like weekly, more money in your wallet not in their register. More Gas in their tank not in your tank!!! In essence you left half of tank of gas in their possession not carrying it around in your car's tank. More inventory in their possession.
I don't think it works that way.
if you fill your tank halfway, you'll be at the gas station twice as often.
if everyone else is doing the same, gas inventory will be depleted at the same rate as when you filled the tank completely. There's someone filling up every minute of every day. The "inventory" you left in their possession will be consumed by the next guy, who just drove in to fill up for the second time this week.
Old 04-16-11, 08:07 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Default Deferring the Inevitable.....

We consumed gas like alcoholics in a heart beat. Gas depletion is protracted therefore demand will be deferred means more inventory in their possession if everyone is doing this. The faster the consumption the demand goes up so as the price. let their inventory sit in their tank not in your tank.

In essence were trying to slow down the consumption by not carrying half a tank of gas around town.
Attached Thumbnails Gas prices...-graph-supply-and-demand.jpg  
Old 04-16-11, 11:37 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Clever, but I dont think it works that way either, and enlarging the supply and demand diagram doesnt do much

If we are not changing the rate at which we consume gas, then changing the quantity purchased every stop is irrelevant. In the end, we are still buying the same amount--the amount that we need to keep the world moving.

I could be wrong with that so lets add some numbers.

If I drive 15 miles a day and fill up normally without the half tank rule, then I drive 105 miles a week, and after three weeks fill up a whole tank assuming 18mpg in an 18gallon capacity car (315 miles vs 324 miles, close enough). So I buy 18 gallons every three weeks. that is demand.

If I drive 15 miles a day and fill up half a tank every time, then I have 9 gallons in the tank. that will let me drive 162 miles, and at 15 miles a day, that is 11 days, or 1.5 weeks. So I buy 9 gallons every 1.5 weeks, which is 18 gallons every 3 weeks.

But if you are saying that the gas station will has more excess inventory this way, then true. But it depends when they "reorder" their gas. I believe most gas stations get refilled very often, at least once a week. But to add an interesting twist to this, what if the gas station seeing that there is a lot more inventory in the tank decides to postpone a refill. But since demand isnt really changing, the gas station all of a sudden loses a lot of inventory. Then in essence, you are creating a high demand situation once again and nothing changes

Last edited by RXSF; 04-16-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-16-11, 02:47 PM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
If I drive 15 miles a day and fill up normally without the half tank rule, then I drive 105 miles a week, and after three weeks fill up a whole tank assuming 18mpg in an 18gallon capacity car (315 miles vs 324 miles, close enough). So I buy 18 gallons every three weeks. that is demand.
That's all the concept is, time is essence, postpone the demand. another thing half a tank is lighter thank full tank which less is weight to drive around.

Last edited by frankeysd; 04-16-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 03:34 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$3.879 for Sunoco 91. Since I do almost 100 miles a day, I'm paying $350/month for gas. And to think I was considering a FX35 instead of my 22MPG 430
Old 04-16-11, 03:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BCP43002
$3.879 for Sunoco 91. Since I do almost 100 miles a day, I'm paying $350/month for gas. And to think I was considering a FX35 instead of my 22MPG 430
Dude, it's time for a new mode of transportation, at least a 2nd commuter.

Your gas expense could buy a new 40 MPG car with money left over for gas.
Old 04-16-11, 04:10 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

We've got three cars for three drivers in our household, and our total gas bill ends up at around $600-800. It's insane, as the parents each drive about 50 miles each way, and I'm about 50 miles total daily. That CTh is looking really good in our eyes right now, but even with the soaring gas prices (some as high as $4.95 premium in Studio City right now), I don't regret getting my F. I've noticed my driving style has adapted ever since the price went up seemingly last year. That's more than I can say about gas guzzlers who WOT whenever the get the chance.
Old 04-16-11, 08:18 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

id ont know if this is mentioned before or not but would not buying gas for let say like a week do any change to the prices?
Old 04-16-11, 08:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

$4.15 chevron 93 octane here

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
id ont know if this is mentioned before or not but would not buying gas for let say like a week do any change to the prices?
wont change a thing, there isnt a supply problem. Not buying gas one week just defers gas purchases to the next week, it doesnt lower consumption.
Old 04-16-11, 09:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
$4.15 chevron 93 octane here

wont change a thing, there isnt a supply problem. Not buying gas one week just defers gas purchases to the next week, it doesnt lower consumption.

And it would require a complete shut down of the country which could never happen. Assuming you mean a 100% boycott. No one going to work. No leaving your house. No trucking resulting in no food.

Hmm, gas is kind of important.

Without it, we are cavemen. At least until they implement a suitable replacement.
Old 04-16-11, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Its bigger than us. We no longer are the only major consumers of energy. There is growing demand worldwide, especially in key emerging markets.

Not only that but how many times have people paid for 1/2 a tank at one price and then the price raises after. Since prices continue to rise it makes no sense to NOT fill up unless you are certain prices are declining. Technically by filling up you are hedging against price increases.

Lexus makes 5 hybrids now, 3 get 30 MPG or higher so we are the only forum that has those options if you want to stick to the brand. Maybe its time for a Lexus hybrid.

Old 04-17-11, 12:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I definitely agree with getting a Lexus hybrid. The RX450h is not a slouch in mileage or power. I fill up maybe half a tank every other week. I was doing the same thing every week on the RX330.

Prices did go up around here, $3.95 for 93 today at Shell. That's a $.15 increase since I filled up two weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Gas prices...