Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 06:31 PM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better gas with half a tank only than carrying a full tank.
Old 04-18-11, 08:32 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

My wife and I decided last night to go ahead and pay off my truck to aid in the expenses. I paid the $4200 loan off with my debit card about 10 minutes ago.

My savings took a hit, but I am not paying $450 a month for a truck payment, so now, I can afford the gas much more comfortably. Once it costs me $450 a month to drive my truck just in fuel, Big Blue gets parked and I will go get me a CT200h, or an HS.
Old 04-18-11, 08:55 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by frankeysd
Better gas with half a tank only than carrying a full tank.
So...I am still trying to wrap my head around this...I have a 26 gallon gas tank. I fill up at 1/4 tank, to help save my fuel pump, and to ease the kick in the wallet. I know it doesnt really matter, because it all adds up to be the same.

I use, on average a quarter tank of gas every 2 days. So, If I continue to fill at 1/4 tank, but I only put half a tank in, that means I am getting gas every 2 days, at $50 a trip.

IDK about you, but I would rather pay the $75 for 3/4 of a tank and get the extra 4 days driving time.

Ultimately, it doesnt matter how much you put in, if your usage doesnt change, you are spending the same amount anyway. So you do your thing, I will do mine.
Old 04-18-11, 11:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ btw, what are the gas prices (for regular and premium) running in urban areas of western Washington?
Old 04-18-11, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
My wife and I decided last night to go ahead and pay off my truck to aid in the expenses. I paid the $4200 loan off with my debit card about 10 minutes ago.

My savings took a hit, but I am not paying $450 a month for a truck payment, so now, I can afford the gas much more comfortably.
Congragulations. You probably did the right thing. I'm a firm believer in getting out of debt as soon as possible. Yes, your bank account may have gotten socked, but the truck is all-yours now, and the repos can't come and get it.

Once it costs me $450 a month to drive my truck just in fuel, Big Blue gets parked and I will go get me a CT200h, or an HS.

This probably goes without saying, but if you cut back on Big Blue's usage to save on gas, make sure you drive it enough times (and long enough) to get the engine hot and keep the fluids circulating and the battery charged.
Old 04-18-11, 11:30 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I'm the same way ArmyofOne, but I took it a step further. I actually SOLD my car with a car note and got the Lexus - yes it requires more work but I'm no stranger to it and some day I'll make another one a daily and I'll still be debt free.

4.03 / Gallon - Premium Here (Shreveport, LA)
Old 04-18-11, 11:37 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
So...I am still trying to wrap my head around this...I have a 26 gallon gas tank. I fill up at 1/4 tank, to help save my fuel pump, and to ease the kick in the wallet. I know it doesnt really matter, because it all adds up to be the same.

I use, on average a quarter tank of gas every 2 days. So, If I continue to fill at 1/4 tank, but I only put half a tank in, that means I am getting gas every 2 days, at $50 a trip.

IDK about you, but I would rather pay the $75 for 3/4 of a tank and get the extra 4 days driving time.

Ultimately, it doesnt matter how much you put in, if your usage doesnt change, you are spending the same amount anyway. So you do your thing, I will do mine.
Normally I make 1 trip to the gas station (full tank) so now I buy half a tank only and l don't have to carry the other half with me that means more inventory in their posession - it's just delaying and deferring the inevitable. I don't have to carry their inventory around. I'd buy on need basis only.
Old 04-18-11, 12:43 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
^ btw, what are the gas prices (for regular and premium) running in urban areas of western Washington?
Bellingham area, Fred Meyer station $4.09/gal premium. That's with the .10 off with FM card. Have seen other stations here at 4.39/gal regular. Canucks coming down in droves to fuel up as it's still about a $1+ cheaper than up in the greater Vancouver area.
Old 04-18-11, 12:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orzel
Bellingham area, Fred Meyer station $4.09/gal premium. That's with the .10 off with FM card. Have seen other stations here at 4.39/gal regular. Canucks coming down in droves to fuel up as it's still about a $1+ cheaper than up in the greater Vancouver area.
Orzel - Thanks for the update from Bellingham area, not significantly cheaper than suburbs of CA.

btw, I've been up there a few times in the summer, enjoyed it.
Old 04-18-11, 01:30 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Normally I make 1 trip to the gas station (full tank) so now I buy half a tank only and l don't have to carry the other half with me that means more inventory in their posession - it's just delaying and deferring the inevitable. I don't have to carry their inventory around. I'd buy on need basis only.
Driving on need only basis would save more, and produce the same intended result. It would also have an immediate effect on your wallet, with less hassle.

The other thing is that while you're doing this, most others aren't, and so the gas stations aren't going to see much shift based on the difference of half a tank in a week or two. They "retain more supply" by drivers simply purchasing fuel at a rival station who undercuts their price for the day/week.

Add to this, it means for each week gas prices rise, you're potentially there buying at the new higher price, instead of using last weeks cheaper stuff sitting in your tank (2 weeks, for me).
Old 04-18-11, 05:04 PM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Driving on need only basis would save more, and produce the same intended result. It would also have an immediate effect on your wallet, with less hassle.

The other thing is that while you're doing this, most others aren't, and so the gas stations aren't going to see much shift based on the difference of half a tank in a week or two. They "retain more supply" by drivers simply purchasing fuel at a rival station who undercuts their price for the day/week.

Add to this, it means for each week gas prices rise, you're potentially there buying at the new higher price, instead of using last weeks cheaper stuff sitting in your tank (2 weeks, for me).
Half a tank less gives me better mileage
Old 04-18-11, 05:16 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Half a tank less gives me better mileage
Does that better gas mileage offset the cost of having to alter your route to get to the gas station or the increase in gas prices? Folks here otherwise hit the nail on the head, if you don't alter your driving habits, filling up on half a tank as opposed to a full tank will have negligible effects if any at all.
Old 04-18-11, 10:07 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Well I was on vacation for a week and this post is old, but since you're new to this, I'll respond to some of my 2 posts you quoted.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Oil companies do not set the price magically, they are in conjunction with OPEC, however, controlling the supply. This does affect the price. Believe what you wish, but most of the oil companies do hold reserves so they can release them as prices creep up. It allows them to take advantage of dramatic price swings as a way of stimulating cash flow for when pricing is less conducive to profits. Is it horrible? No, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that they don't have any reserves and it goes directly from the refinery to your local pump with no stops in between and a "sell by" date stamped on it like a cold beer or bottle of milk.
You are terribly misinformed. If this is so, please provide some sort of evidence.

I disagree. Healthy profits are fine. When a company gouges consumers, and I am not saying the oil companies are, that's another thing. It's not always about sound investments, reinvesting, or growing the business. Those are goals, but sound management is a beginning and people don't like to feel like they are being cheated.
What are you disagreeing with? What I stated was a matter of fact. In fact, you quote me exactly as proof companies actually made bad investments below.

What people fail to realize, however, is that many times the profit the larger companies post doesn't come solely from gas. Ever see how expensive things are inside their stores?
They don't own the stores; they are franchises.

I already commented on the lack of diversity, but let me ask this - when they lose money it seems it shows they aren't making sound investments, reinvesting capital, and growing their business. Would you agree? Then that falls on them.
You can't both blame companies for making bad investments when prices are low, and then gouging people on those same bad investments when prices are high. Occam's Razer please - the same investments are either bad or good depending on prices. And since companies most certainly do not hold production (do you have any idea what amount of storage volume, not to mention the logistics of transporting oil produced across the nation to some storage depot, would be required?), todays strip price is what they are paid.

Yes. The sun is going to rise tomorrow, and someone will make some money. I think you are ignoring the fact that they lost money because they didn't anticipate things properly, not following the rules you spoke of - sound investments, reinvesting, growing the business - and it's not that they undercharged, it's that they overpaid.
You fallaciously assume they can either determine what they pay or how much they get. These costs are fixed at market rates - a company can either choose to invest or not with these costs and prices.

There is no assumption - they do charge for oil. Period. End of story. They buy it, therefore they charge for it. Yes, they sell it at market rate (or higher if possible), but to say they don't charge for it is patently false. The most successful companies find a way to fill their reserves and release them as margins rise to maximum profitability. That is good business, no arguing it. If they were to "pull an Enron" and withhold it to create a false shortage, however, that would be grossly unfair.
Don't be pedantic. The intended meaning was very clear.

This is because even when prices are low, companies such as XOM make record levels of profits and that is what the public sees. They don't see "Dave's Unnerground Machine Business" losing money because it's not directly on their radar. Perhaps because there is no local Dave's in their market??
No, they don't. You can't argue this point - it's a matter of public record, but you seem to not have looked it up.

This is an assumption on your part, and an incorrect one - I would argue that the majority of the public is ill informed about a lot of this, and simply sees their wallet being affected.
I fail to see how individual ignorance has any connection whatsoever to prices being manipulated by oil companies. Such things merely lead to sensationalist posts such as this one.

Agreed - to an extent. People get the government they deserve, by and large, but that's another topic. The big oil companies spend an enormous amount of money to have their interests protected in our government, and sometimes at the expense and detriment of the people and our environment.
As does every other major corporation. You should be mad at the politicians about this, not the for-profit corporations.

Disagree. We should have utter contempt for those who choose to drive through life with their eyes closed to the world around them provided it doesn't cost them anything more than they are used to paying. At the very least, much like becoming a parent, there should be a test to vote. Won't happen, but that is life in the big city.
A corporation is not a person. You should not anthropomorphize Exxon.
Old 04-19-11, 08:44 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm paying about US $6.79 per gallon here (Esso Premium) for my 2 cars. Prices are indeed high, but it's not as bad (for me anyway). Its about US $172 to fill both of my vehicles up.

A full tank lasts me a little over a month anyway.
Old 04-19-11, 09:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy-KY
A full tank lasts me a little over a month anyway.
that's cuz you're on an island

Regular in houston, tx is approx 3.70; a tank lasts me almost 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Gas prices...