Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 08:06 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Again with you not reading the article? I was not commenting on the SEC regulated reserve valuation, nor did I even bring up the SEC. Don't try to skew it to make your invalid assertions look correct. I was commenting on the information in the article. Maybe now that will sink in.
You mean the article where you referenced reserves bookings?

Yes, it is. It isn't the top 3, but it's a pretty decent amount - especially as locating it becomes more challenging.
What's your definition of largest costs? Not in top 3, but a decent amount?

What?? How can anyone misconstrue that as ambiguous?
How do you define most profitable? There are many choices I could use. The one some people might use is "wait until oil is $200 a barrel", but the one E&P companies use is "among their best projects".

No, as I explained above, your misunderstanding and unwillingness to read the article and understand that my comments are based on the information within is where the issue is.
I did read the article. It was about reserves bookings. I was talking about reserves bookings. What are you talking about?

Don't you ever equate me to that idiot again. I take that as a personal insult.

Really? I implied that? No, I most certainly did not. And as a matter of fact stated the opposite was my opinion:
No, you did NOT state the opposite was your opinion, you said you weren't saying price gouging was the case. There is as much of a difference there as between "charging" for oil and being paid market rate.

I never said they could just uncork the wells. I am well aware that the oil reserves would still need to be refined in order to hit the market, but if there is no oil to be refined, it's rather pointless to consider. And no, it is not false - they have a reserve for a reason. Profit. It's not a bad thing, nor illegal, but it is a strategy they stated they employ. Why you feel that the company's own statements are something not to believe or choose to disagree with in the hope of proving your mistaken and false points are where the concern is.
Don't forget that it needs to be drilled first. I hope you aren't among the public that believes oil sits in giant caverns underground.

I don't agree with the idea that the companies are gouging, but I also don't agree with many of the statements you made:

1. They lose money more often that not and on one knows or complains when that happens.

B. They don't charge for oil.

3. They have no cost containment, so their costs skyrocket as the market price increases.

That's the top 3. And I think I did a pretty decent job of correcting most of your erroneous assertions. You can continue to make them, but it doesn't make them true any more than the assertions of people who figure the companies that are profiting are gouging. I won't give an economic basic like supply/demand, etc., since I'm sure most people get it already.
#1 I never said "more often than not", or that "no one knows". I said no one complains.

#2. Again, pedantic, and this time out of context. They are paid market rate, there is no MSRP.

#3. Costs lag 1 year behind with some exceptions, so when prices go up, they earn more money. When prices go down, they lose money with costs that haven't yet fallen. The point is that most people unfamiliar with economics don't realize the inflexibility of energy company costs, especially when activity is high.

I do agree with you that the companies are not gouging, so let's just leave it at that.
First thing you've said that I can agree with.
Old 04-27-11, 07:09 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price of gas

If I recall gas was $1.89 when Obama took office.
There goes our plans for a 2012 Lexus.
Old 04-27-11, 07:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

as long as Bernanke's magical money helicopter keeps raining dollars, gas will continue to go up. Countries around the world printed tons of money since 2008, now we are seeing the result. Its not just gas: gold, silver, wheat, sugar, corn, soybean, oranges, metals, cotton, and many other things have gone up as a result of this print fest.

And its not helping that Obama and his Administration is blocking further drilling and exploration in the Gulf and Arctic Ocean. Yet strangely foreign companies have been getting permits in the Gulf. Now hes talking about removing the $4B "subsidy" for oil companies because of their record profits. Its not a subsidy first of all its a tax deduction on the expenses for drilling and exploration. The profits of which take many years to realize. So guess what will happen to gas prices if these companies have a brand new $4B expense. It's going to go up. Now how did that actually help? But it made great political fodder and demagoguery.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-27-11 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 05:00 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by Infra
You mean the article where you referenced reserves bookings?
Yes, that one. Glad that finally sunk through the concrete. The article referenced that XOM does not use the SEC method when discussing reserves such as these was the point I was making. Thank you for finally proving you managed to read it.

What's your definition of largest costs? Not in top 3, but a decent amount?
I said one of the largest costs. (Who is being pedantic again?) If it's in the top 5, that's a good sized chunk, and for most companies it is.

How do you define most profitable? There are many choices I could use. The one some people might use is "wait until oil is $200 a barrel", but the one E&P companies use is "among their best projects".
I need to define most profitable? Really? You are really playing up the pedantic angle here. Not sure why. How about this? To the best of their ability to use the crystal ball, they strategically release oil into the markets as prices climb to maximize profits. Is that better for you?

I did read the article. It was about reserves bookings. I was talking about reserves bookings. What are you talking about?
You were talking about the SEC method, I was not. You assumed it. I did not. I referenced the article so you could see what I was speaking about. You still didn't see it. As I said, it's nice to know it finally got through the concrete when I pointed it out directly as opposed to thinking you could associate one with the other. I suppose that falls on me for making the leap - something I won't do again when discussing something with you if the opportunity arises, I assure you.

No, you did NOT state the opposite was your opinion, you said you weren't saying price gouging was the case. There is as much of a difference there as between "charging" for oil and being paid market rate.
Circular arguments amuse me. Clearly not as much as they amuse you, but I digress...

My statement that I didn't say gouging was the case was very clear to virtually everyone who read it. That it wasn't the case for you. Bummer.

Don't forget that it needs to be drilled first. I hope you aren't among the public that believes oil sits in giant caverns underground.
You mean there is no spigot at the end of a pipe to just fill up them thar barrels with the bubblin crude??? (I kid, I kid )

#1 I never said "more often than not", or that "no one knows". I said no one complains.
You definitely inferred that the majority of people think oil companies make money hand over fist at all times, good pricing or bad. But I do agree - very few people ***** when it drops down under $2 a gallon, yet there are how many thousands of people who pay $5 for a 20 oz cup of coffee?

#2. Again, pedantic, and this time out of context. They are paid market rate, there is no MSRP.
Again, not pedantic at all (nice try, but please do stop, it's getting tired), since they do, in fact, charge for oil. Your statement remains false since I never put in a price floor, ceiling, or any other specific guarantee of a price point.

#3. Costs lag 1 year behind with some exceptions, so when prices go up, they earn more money. When prices go down, they lose money with costs that haven't yet fallen. The point is that most people unfamiliar with economics don't realize the inflexibility of energy company costs, especially when activity is high.
And yet I've never stated anything contrary to it. I say they do their best to control and anticipate them, but if the price falls and the contract is in place, the above statement is basic economics and contract theory. So we agree.

First thing you've said that I can agree with.
Oh come on, that's not the first thing. We are very similar in opinions on things. You have a bit of a roundabout way of thinking about it IMO, but we arrive at similar conclusions. I even pointed a few out for you above. Happy re-reading!

Big Mack
Old 04-27-11, 08:44 PM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Default Let's get back to the objective of the topic....

Don't carry around oil companies inventory, let it sit in their tanks not on your tank!!!
Attached Thumbnails Gas prices...-check-half_tank-meter_cropped.jpg   Gas prices...-no-full_tank-meter.jpg  
Old 04-27-11, 09:20 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Yes, that one. Glad that finally sunk through the concrete. The article referenced that XOM does not use the SEC method when discussing reserves such as these was the point I was making. Thank you for finally proving you managed to read it.
Look - yes, they do. They might quote internal numbers for additional bookings on a more favorable price deck, but they still follow the SEC rules ("the SEC method") for what they can book.

This is the point of your misunderstanding. You are confusing methodology with the measuring metric.
Old 04-28-11, 07:31 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default But

Originally Posted by frankeysd
Don't carry around oil companies inventory, let it sit in their tanks not on your tank!!!
If you do this then the next time you add fuel it is up another 15 cents.
Old 04-28-11, 08:56 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
^ btw, what are the gas prices (for regular and premium) running in urban areas of western Washington?
Running $4.10 a gal reg, mid/premium are $4.30 and $4.50 respectively. Diesel is $5.09 here on the base.

Yikes.

At $4.10 a gallon, a full tank costs me: $106.60 (26gal x $4.10)...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations. You probably did the right thing. I'm a firm believer in getting out of debt as soon as possible. Yes, your bank account may have gotten socked, but the truck is all-yours now, and the repos can't come and get it.

This probably goes without saying, but if you cut back on Big Blue's usage to save on gas, make sure you drive it enough times (and long enough) to get the engine hot and keep the fluids circulating and the battery charged.
You know it Mike. I am a seasoned veteran at Long Term Car Storage .
Old 04-28-11, 09:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Running $4.10 a gal reg, mid/premium are $4.30 and $4.50 respectively. Diesel is $5.09 here on the base.

Yikes.

Thanks for western WA update.

Update from northern CA (Chevron gas prices):

$4.259 regular
$4.459 premium (uplift for premium varies from $.18 to $.22)
Old 04-28-11, 10:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by frankeysd
this type of protest has zero effect. If people do some one day protest and not buy gas they just buy that much more the next day. Guess what its even more expensive that next day from the way things are going now.
Old 04-28-11, 10:49 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Southern California Chevron is around $4.37 for regular, I saw a 76 have it around $4.47...
Old 04-28-11, 03:00 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Filled up today with Premium @ $4.05/.
Old 04-28-11, 03:06 PM
LexFather

I wonder when the 18 wheelers are going to protest....they must be getting killed again....

Old 04-28-11, 03:24 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

How many of you guys actually have reduced the amount of driving?

My driving schedule is basically set in stone--and I've roughly have done the same amount of driving for the past 4 years (counting singular miles per week in differences).
Old 04-28-11, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Update from northern CA (Chevron gas prices):

$4.259 regular
$4.459 premium (uplift for premium varies from $.18 to $.22)
Are Chevron stations switching to other brands there in CA? Here, in my area, two former (and reasonably-priced) Chevron stations have switched over to Liberty, a cut-rate brand that probably, can't hold a candle to Chevron. Chevron is getting hard to find around here.

Fortunately, there are plenty of local Shell stations (another exellent brand) to compensate. And we get Shell gas-price discounts with the local Giant Supermarket bonus-cards (normally 10-40 cents a gallon, but no limits with more points).

BTW, Shell regular, in my local area, without the Bonus-Card discounts, is now $4.04-$4.09, and premium around $4.39-$4.40. The average for regular in VA is now $3.89.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-11 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas prices...