Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
PPPOYPDNCAEOM - **** Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On Mine (not you, specifically, just generally). While I realize that hindsight is 20/20, there is something to be said for realizing gas prices would eventually rise again and do something before it was crunch time.

If the payment is $500 and they sell it for a car with a $250 payment, that's half. If it was using $200 worth of gas and now uses $100, that's half. Even if upside down on a vehicle, if you pay $350 a month and halve the gas bill, you're still up $250 a month ($700 vs. $450). They're practically giving cars away right now on the econoboxes, so it's a good time to make it happen for a lot of people. Again - sacrifice for the later. Something many people are unwilling (not unable) to do.

Big Mack
Regardless of hindsight and what is realized, it's still a potential further loss of money. A forced car purchase may yield a lower monthly payment (and lower gas costs), but the longterm often equates to bigger losses. Depreciation, turning in a car early, loss of equity, new car payments for a new long(er) term = more out of pocket money and debt. Not the greatest financial decision when you are already scraping by day to day.
Old 05-01-11, 11:38 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Regardless of hindsight and what is realized, it's still a potential further loss of money. A forced car purchase may yield a lower monthly payment (and lower gas costs), but the longterm often equates to bigger losses. Depreciation, turning in a car early, loss of equity, new car payments for a new long(er) term = more out of pocket money and debt. Not the greatest financial decision when you are already scraping by day to day.
That doesn't even factor in the people who NEED those kinds of cars. I find it interesting how folks think that people with V8's always look down on hybrid owners, when in-fact it's just the same the other way around. Those who chose to drive the gas guzzlers already paid a price even when gas was cheaper. They filled up more often and spent more for gas than other folks. Why is it that folks feel that they 'deserve' to suffer for these higher prices?
Old 05-02-11, 12:13 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
That doesn't even factor in the people who NEED those kinds of cars. I find it interesting how folks think that people with V8's always look down on hybrid owners, when in-fact it's just the same the other way around. Those who chose to drive the gas guzzlers already paid a price even when gas was cheaper. They filled up more often and spent more for gas than other folks. Why is it that folks feel that they 'deserve' to suffer for these higher prices?
I agree. Most people I know who own a large SUV bought one because they have three kids, do weekend activities which require cargo capacity, tow a boat or trailer, or use it for work. They didn't make the purchase to spite anyone, nor do they look down on others who have smaller cars. It's just an unfortunate situation where they have needs but are getting hosed in the process.
Old 05-02-11, 06:32 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
So it's okay if you get it, but not the other people...

You know thats what I meant. I was trying to point out that with that kind of money they don't have to worry about what price gas goes in the limos.

Ahem...

Alex Rodriguez $ 32,000,000 Third Baseman

And yes, you do have to pay his salary, or do you figure that your cable or satellite TV rates are high because the companies are only shooting for profit and not paying MLB, NHL, NFL, and NBA contracts to get the television rights? Same with actors. You don't pay it directly, but you do pay for it in one way or the other.

NO CABLE, NO SAT. Just a plain old antenea.

As I said, you don't have to, you choose to have the convenience. Walk, ride your bike, hitchhike (kidding!), or use an alternative method of transportation. I'm sure you'd look fantastic on some roller blades.

I will agree with you that "they" got us right where "they" want us, but educating yourself and putting yourself in a position to capitalize on it isn't against the rules - most people just don't do it.

Big Mack
FINALLY --Yes , u should see me on roller blades, a 69 year old racing down the road on a pair of blades. But, anyways, what can I do about it, bend over & smile I guess & let the fat cats have their fun.
Old 05-02-11, 07:15 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't even factor in the people who NEED those kinds of cars. I find it interesting how folks think that people with V8's always look down on hybrid owners, when in-fact it's just the same the other way around. Those who chose to drive the gas guzzlers already paid a price even when gas was cheaper. They filled up more often and spent more for
gas than other folks. Why is it that folks feel that they 'deserve' to suffer for these higher prices?
No one said they deserve to suffer, simply that they made a choice to drive a gas guzzler. The only people who "NEED" a large SUV are having their gas paid by their employer.

I agree. Most people I know who own a large SUV bought one because they have three kids, do weekend activities which require cargo capacity, tow a boat or trailer, or use it for work. They didn't make the purchase to spite anyone, nor do they look down on others who have smaller cars. It's just an unfortunate situation where they have needs but are getting hosed in the process.
All of those things sound like a personal lifestyle choice to me. I don't see any need there. As always, leisure costs money.
Old 05-02-11, 09:01 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
No one said they deserve to suffer, simply that they made a choice to drive a gas guzzler. The only people who "NEED" a large SUV are having their gas paid by their employer.

All of those things sound like a personal lifestyle choice to me. I don't see any need there. As always, leisure costs money.
Is that not the American dream though? I'm not saying everyone should be filthy rich and happy, but for those who were doing well for themselves enough to have 'some' luxuries, should now have to pay the price? I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but it sounds like something those in Washington would hypocritically say: "You must do this and that and be conscious of the environment and buy only what you need" *However at the same time they fly on their private jets (paid for by tax payers), and use their gas cards (paid for by tax payers) and feel not one bit of the crunch your everyday person feels*.
Old 05-02-11, 09:42 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

If those who have SUV's and trucks can't afford the high gas prices, how on earth are they going to afford a new fuel efficient car? When you are suffering and scraping by, the very last thing you can manage is a new or used car purchase. People are in dire straights right now. Shopping/purchasing is the first thing that goes by the wayside.
Fair points for some situations, mainly for those with older SUV's who don't have the means to buy new or newer. A large portion though have bought the gas guzzlers post $4/gal 2008. Those are the ones I question. And if they could afford a new SUV in the last 3 years, chances are they could afford to make another change unless they recently lost their job.

Yes, some people still need the function of the SUV. Although many would be better off with a minivan but don't want the image of one. Those that are towing boats and trailers can afford all the gas they need. If gas is a hardship, what the hell is one doing with a boat?

Like I said, I'm all for enjoying luxuries and owning all you can. I just have an issue with those that have the nerve to drive Excursions and Suburbans with no passenger (see it all the time) and whine all day about their gas bill.
Old 05-02-11, 05:10 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Yes, because 3 kids won't ever fit into a more fuel efficient vehicle. And why buy a loaded Escalade when a truck would do that job and have more utility? Or better yet, buy a used truck for just weekend stuff and an efficient vehicle for during the week when it's not needed? It's not an unfortunate situation where people are "getting hosed" - they made their choices, now they get the decision cost.

Originally Posted by xfirechief
FINALLY --Yes , u should see me on roller blades, a 69 year old racing down the road on a pair of blades.
Pitchers!!! No fair posting this without pitchers!!!

Is that not the American dream though? I'm not saying everyone should be filthy rich and happy, but for those who were doing well for themselves enough to have 'some' luxuries, should now have to pay the price?
In a word - yes. If they "were" doing well, that means they are no longer doing well. Just as anyone who has had to tighten their belt when the paychecks got shorter, those who "were" doing well have to as well. It doesn't matter that 5 years ago Dave could afford an Expedition and a Mercruiser behind it. Today, he can't, so why shouldn't he make the changes? Or is Dave supposed to get some kind of subsidy because he previously was doing well?

I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but it sounds like something those in Washington would hypocritically say: "You must do this and that and be conscious of the environment and buy only what you need" *However at the same time they fly on their private jets (paid for by tax payers), and use their gas cards (paid for by tax payers) and feel not one bit of the crunch your everyday person feels*.
No one here is from Washington (except Mike, but I mean in a political sense), so this statement is rather strange. He's giving an opinion about what was said, and probably doesn't fly on a private jet. If my situation were to change, I'd do what I had to do in order to make ends meet, including ditching the luxuries I've become accustomed to. Does it suck having to do so? Of course. Is it anyone's fault? No, not unless they quit their job for no good reason or were fired for something they did, but the situation doesn't change - less money coming in requires changes made unless you saved a bunch or have minimal expenses because you never overextended.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Yes, some people still need the function of the SUV. Although many would be better off with a minivan but don't want the image of one. Those that are towing boats and trailers can afford all the gas they need. If gas is a hardship, what the hell is one doing with a boat?

Like I said, I'm all for enjoying luxuries and owning all you can. I just have an issue with those that have the nerve to drive Excursions and Suburbans with no passenger (see it all the time) and whine all day about their gas bill.
Agreed!! It's all about the image. Mommyvan = too cheap for me and my wages. I need to sit up high and air condition or heat 200 cu ft of space that isn't used 80+% of the time.

Big Mack
Old 05-02-11, 05:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Sure lots of judgemental posts in this thread.

There are many reasons people choose an SUV over a minivan. Not wanting to be seen in a minivan is a primary one.
The rest of my reasons are here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rive-suvs.html

I've also already posted that not all SUV's are bad on gas and I frankly don't care in the slightest about paying slightly more to fuel the vehicles I've chosen.
Old 05-02-11, 06:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

now is a really good time for robbers to rob gas stations.

every car comes in for a $70 fillup.

so how many of you are light on the gas now?

i now go from 0-60 in 20 seconds.
Old 05-02-11, 07:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't paid cash at a (chevron) gas station in 25+ years, maybe some still do.
Old 05-02-11, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yeah I rarely go inside....

Old 05-02-11, 09:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I never go inside of the gas stations in my area unless it's to buy candy or something. There's a bunch of rich people in my area that would laugh at me for only putting $20 down for gas on a Lexus. I just pay with my bank card outside to avoid the shame...
Old 05-02-11, 11:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the cheapest brand gas in my area doesn't take credit cards.
Old 05-02-11, 11:58 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

in my experience, chevron doesnt do a cash price. seems like only valero does

Quick Reply: Gas prices...