Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 12:10 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $3.87 a gallon for premium yesterday.
Old 07-05-11, 01:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paid $3.99/gal for Chevron premium in CA

Sad when i'm HAPPY that its $4...lol.
Old 07-11-11, 07:47 AM
RBinDC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS69

Glenn Beck is picking a fight again with General Motors.

He's mad at GM CEO Dan Akerson for suggesting that gas taxes should be hiked 50 cents to $1 a gallon to encourage sales of electric and other alternative-energy-power cars.

"A 50-cent gas tax would make everyone puke. A dollar might make me puke my heart and lungs," the conservative commentator said on his Fox News show yesterday. He says that forcing up gas prices will force up the price of all goods and services, hitting hard at the poor.

Beck says moves to increase energy efficiency in cars will push new car prices up an average of $3,500. He even goes after Chevrolet Volt, GM's acclaimed extended-range electric wonder car. In addressing Akerson directly, Beck says, "I've seen your crappy new electric car. Nobody is buying it."

He blasts Akerson personally for being a former executive at the Carlyle Group, an international investment firm. Beck, who has drawn fire from the left for weaving conspiracy theories, alleges that Carlyle has ties to conservative punching bag and billionaire George Soros and former secretary of State Madeleine Albright's daughter, Colin Powell and Prince Al-Waleed, a Saudi investor. He decries GM for taking billions in federal bailouts and says the automaker hasn't repaid -- and probably won't. "We're losing, I think it's $18 billion dollars on this deal," he says.

GM bashing is a recurring theme with Beck. He took on the same repayment issue during a show in April.
Beck is an idiot with a big mouth. As I recall he was a drunk - before he wasn't. I think it pickled his brain.

Now that I got that off my chest, I was against the bailout of GM but, I have to admit, it appears to have worked out well. GM has paid back most of the bailout money and has come up with an attractive product line. I drove a Volt and am impressed. It's a nice car that gets incredible gas mileage. Being a hybrid it is not range limited like the Nissan Leaf, which I think will translate into more sales. I certainly wouldn't want to have to worry about running out of juice on an extended trip. GM's sales abroad is taking off, particularly in China.

Also, let's not forget what it would have done to the economy if all those GM employees and employees of supplier firms had been thrown out of their jobs at a time when the entire US economy was on the verge of a deep depression. While it's true that markets will eventually solve the unemployment problem the transition can be painful for everyone.

Finally, whether or not we like to hear this, the federal gasoline tax needs to increased substantially. It has not been increased in many years so in real terms the tax as progressively gone down. Phasing in a $1 increase over 5-7 years would give everyone an incentive to buy fuel-efficient cars during the normal replacement cycle and help get us off expensive foreign oil. It would also help pay down the national debt.

Nobody wants to pay more in taxes but if we have to a higher gasoline tax is a good way to go. And it is a fair tax; people who choose to drive Escalades and Hummers should pay the full cost of their driving.
Old 07-11-11, 10:13 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^Again with that mentality. Gas is already expensive. We aren't Europe where travel distance is shorter. Our economy is in the crapper, yet its a good idea to charge more for gas, the lifeblood of America. Gas goes up, EVERYTHING goes up.

Also not everyone has the money to go out and buy a brand new fuel efficient gas/electric all electric hybrid. I hate the mentality of those who feel like they should impose their views on others and feel self righteous to the point they'd suggest higher prices will benefit others because they can afford to change.
Old 07-11-11, 10:57 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RBinDC
Beck is an idiot with a big mouth. As I recall he was a drunk - before he wasn't. I think it pickled his brain.

Now that I got that off my chest, I was against the bailout of GM but, I have to admit, it appears to have worked out well. GM has paid back most of the bailout money and has come up with an attractive product line. I drove a Volt and am impressed. It's a nice car that gets incredible gas mileage. Being a hybrid it is not range limited like the Nissan Leaf, which I think will translate into more sales. I certainly wouldn't want to have to worry about running out of juice on an extended trip. GM's sales abroad is taking off, particularly in China.

Also, let's not forget what it would have done to the economy if all those GM employees and employees of supplier firms had been thrown out of their jobs at a time when the entire US economy was on the verge of a deep depression. While it's true that markets will eventually solve the unemployment problem the transition can be painful for everyone.

Finally, whether or not we like to hear this, the federal gasoline tax needs to increased substantially. It has not been increased in many years so in real terms the tax as progressively gone down. Phasing in a $1 increase over 5-7 years would give everyone an incentive to buy fuel-efficient cars during the normal replacement cycle and help get us off expensive foreign oil. It would also help pay down the national debt.

Nobody wants to pay more in taxes but if we have to a higher gasoline tax is a good way to go. And it is a fair tax; people who choose to drive Escalades and Hummers should pay the full cost of their driving.
That will never happen. Most drivers and the auto manufacturers wouldn’t let it happen. Not everyone can drive a fuel efficient car; there are tons of families that have to own a minivan/SUV because of the size of their family. You’d be imposing a tax on people that have no other choice but to buy minivans/SUVs. And no, most won’t buy a Hybrid SUV/Hybrid Minivan (when they come out) because the jump in price isn’t attractive/affordable to many.
And people who are driving SUV’s and Minivans are already paying more tax than those who drive smaller cars simply by filling up gas more often. To impose a higher tax just on larger cars isn’t gonna happen.
Old 07-11-11, 02:20 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RBinDC

Glenn's the idiot?

The vast majority of Americans would agree with Beck that significantly raising the gas tax would be an idiotic idea. Especially when the economy remains in the crapper.

And do you not understand the correlation between higher gas prices and everything else going up as a result? Food is already going through the roof, higher fuel costs would raise them even higher.

Perhaps money is no object to you but for most, it does not come with ease.

Also, how come some of the same people that demonize oil companies for charging what they do for gas, call for higher gas taxes on gas? More to the government that does nothing to produce and distribute that gas should get the biggest piece of the pie?
Old 12-30-11, 10:27 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked, here in Montreal we pay like US$1.738 per gallon just in taxes. So with all the taxes it comes up to US$4.90 (C$1.31 per litre), without the taxes it be like US$3.162 per gallon (C$0.85 per litre)

Last edited by JessePS; 12-30-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-31-11, 06:23 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
I just checked, here in Montreal we pay like US$1.738 per gallon just in taxes. So with all the taxes it comes up to US$4.90 (C$1.31 per litre), without the taxes it be like US$3.162 per gallon (C$0.85 per litre)
Which happens to be what I'm paying in my area right now - taxes included.

So what are those outrageous taxes used for? Another tax going toward Canada's "free" healthcare or is it supposedly all for infrastructure?
Old 12-31-11, 07:58 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Which happens to be what I'm paying in my area right now - taxes included.

So what are those outrageous taxes used for? Another tax going toward Canada's "free" healthcare or is it supposedly all for infrastructure?
I think the gas tax goes for road infrastructure here (thats what they tell us) Who knows how much money they really make from that and our roads are still ****. Seeing all the government contracts go to corrupt companies, that over charge and don't do the job right It sucks living in supposedly the most corrupt place in all of North America.
Old 12-31-11, 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
It sucks living in supposedly the most corrupt place in all of North America.
have a feeling mexico is worse.
Old 01-01-12, 06:51 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
have a feeling mexico is worse.
True. So second most corrupt place
Old 01-01-12, 12:21 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gas taxes only make retail outlets (service stations) into government tax collectors. As of July 11th of last year, gas taxes in Texas amounted to 20.0¢/gal for the state, and 18.4¢/gal federal tax for a total of 38.4¢/gal. We're significantly below the US average, that is currently 48.9¢/gal nationwide (combined state and federal taxes). Connecticut, New York, and California hold the top spots with total taxes of 68, 67.9 and 67.5¢/gal, respectively. That's roughly $12 - $15 per tankful . . . think you're getting your money's worth?

Reading over this thread from last year, the dire predictions of $5/gal gas never materialized down here. In fact our local prices have fallen considerably over just the last few months. Most suburban stations are now charging around $2.99/gal for Reg UL now, and some outlets (with coupons or discount registry ) are selling for far less. We paid $2.19 Friday night at Kroger. It pays to shop around and take advantage of discount offers.

What's the outlook for 2012? Probably about the same, with prices rising in the spring to fall back by early fall. Don't look for a serious attempt to tack on additional taxes this year . . . there will be an election this fall and prices should roll back to seasonal norms by late October. After the election? Well . . .
Old 02-18-12, 11:23 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Gas is at $4.15 a gallon for regular, and it's not even March yet!

I get the feeling that by this summer we'll have gas close to $5. :|
Old 02-19-12, 12:19 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Nothing new there. CA is always significantly higher than anywhere else.
Old 02-19-12, 01:45 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did no one realize that once gas goes up, Everything else goes up. Food,electronics, etc etc.

Quick Reply: Gas prices...