Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Around here gas is always quite a bit higher in the city vs. the suburbs, affluent or otherwise. In many parts of the city, gas is highest for those least able to afford it.
I see you're from IL. By "City", do you mean Chicago? Chicago, for some reason, has had CA-type gas prices for some time.
Old 04-11-11, 10:53 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

First time I see regular 87 reach $4/gal......its 4.03 at my local Sunoco this morning.... just filled my sc430 on friday for $85, $4.29/Gal

My next car will most likely a "Hybrid". CT200H, GS400H/GS450H, G25 hybrid (if they made them).......just not the Pirus
Old 04-11-11, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
First time I see regular 87 reach $4/gal......its 4.03 at my local Sunoco this morning.... just filled my sc430 on friday for $85, $4.29/Gal

My next car will most likely a "Hybrid". CT200H, GS400H/GS450H, G25 hybrid (if they made them).......just not the Pirus
While it's true that hybrids generally get better mileage and often qualify for tax credits, they can also be more expensive to own, unless you save on a lot of gasoline, over a number of years, to get back to the break-even point. Case in point.....A small Toyota or Scion compact or sub-compact may start in the low-mid teens and get 35-40 MPG on the road. A Prius, which can, in some cases, do 50 MPG or better, also costs a lot more, starting well above 20K and running, in some versions, to 30K or more. Lexus hybrids, of course, run even more. So, you have to buy a lot of gas, even at high prices, to recuperate the price-difference, even with a hybrid tax-credit. You can save some by getting a 19-20K Honda Insight hybrid, but the Insight, despite being exceedingly well-built, has a number of ergonomic/powertrain/road-manners flaws, and I generally don't recommend it.
Old 04-11-11, 12:04 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. I'm still kinda debating on getting a used IS or GS next summer, but if these gas prices continue get higher, than I'm thinking of getting the Prius C.

But the CT200H does look nice, I just wont be able to afford it, it will still cost over $25k used, compared to $20k(?) for a new Prius C.

Will Lexus ever decide to make an IS hybrid? Don't think they will though, since it will conflict with the CT sales.
Old 04-11-11, 12:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I see you're from IL. By "City", do you mean Chicago? Chicago, for some reason, has had CA-type gas prices for some time.
Yes, I live in the Chicago area.

I just heard on the radio while out running errands that the total federal and state taxes on a gallon of gas in Illinois is nearly $.90/gal (actually 89.4 cents). Yikes!
Old 04-11-11, 01:53 PM
grabber2
Racer

While it's true that hybrids generally get better mileage and often qualify for tax credits, they can also be more expensive to own, unless you save on a lot of gasoline, over a number of years, to get back to the break-even point. Case in point.....A small Toyota or Scion compact or sub-compact may start in the low-mid teens and get 35-40 MPG on the road. A Prius, which can, in some cases, do 50 MPG or better, also costs a lot more, starting well above 20K and running, in some versions, to 30K or more. Lexus hybrids, of course, run even more. So, you have to buy a lot of gas, even at high prices, to recuperate the price-difference, even with a hybrid tax-credit. You can save some by getting a 19-20K Honda Insight hybrid, but the Insight, despite being exceedingly well-built, has a number of ergonomic/powertrain/road-manners flaws, and I generally don't recommend it.
Yes, you have a good point. However, I live in NYC & able to take most advantage with hybrid. My co-worker's Prius has average 52MPG. My friend's ct200h not yet here so I don' t know the really word MPG. But 40MPG is a huge different compares to my current: G35x=16.8MPG, RSX = 22.3MPH, SC430=15.3MPG. Hybrid cost more but they also hold a better resale value, especially if you buy used. It will hold a strong resale value when you decide to sell them.

I'm sure more efficient hybrid are on the way in near future & the price of gas will continue to grow accordingly with more hybrid on the road. The gas giant will not suffer from less profit due to less sales volume. They will benefit from higher gas price while gas clunker owner taking the impact. I'm currently spending about $3000 on gas per year & I can save $7500 in 5 years if go hybird. In addition, you feel better by knowing you are consuming less gas per miles.

Last edited by grabber2; 04-11-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 02:13 PM
grabber2
Racer

Originally Posted by Incredible
Same here. I'm still kinda debating on getting a used IS or GS next summer, but if these gas prices continue get higher, than I'm thinking of getting the Prius C.

But the CT200H does look nice, I just wont be able to afford it, it will still cost over $25k used, compared to $20k(?) for a new Prius C.

Will Lexus ever decide to make an IS hybrid? Don't think they will though, since it will conflict with the CT sales.
Get a prius, it will seriously save you on gas.

Also, I strongly suggest you to get rid of your chase 30% APR debt before you move on. It will hurt you at this point from all direction. Just try everything you can to pay it off first. Don't keep any saving now, just paid that Chase debt & you will be able to double your saving. I have tried to stay away from high interest as much as i can. You said you are paying hundreds in interest per month, you can have put thme for gas & saving. Just paid off that 30% apr in the first place.

To tell you a story, I drive the Toyota Corolla from age 17~25, & bought a G35X at 26. I'm 28 now & owning three car & debt free. Owning a nice car is tempting, but its never late especially for just 1~2 years.
Old 04-11-11, 05:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

To tell you a story, I drive the Toyota Corolla from age 17~25, & bought a G35X at 26. I'm 28 now & owning three car & debt free. Owning a nice car is tempting, but its never late especially for just 1~2 years.
When I was 20 (in '07) and gas prices really started to climb I put away the Subaru and borrowed my sister's Corolla for a month. It did low 30s, city driving, with a 5MT. Depending on where I move I would consider one again, but I do love my horizontally opposed AWD Subaru. It's gonna be a tough decision when I do need to buy a car.
Old 04-11-11, 11:40 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Yeap, gas is rape right now. Filled up a few days ago @ $4.42/gal
Old 04-12-11, 12:37 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Get a prius, it will seriously save you on gas.

Also, I strongly suggest you to get rid of your chase 30% APR debt before you move on. It will hurt you at this point from all direction. Just try everything you can to pay it off first. Don't keep any saving now, just paid that Chase debt & you will be able to double your saving. I have tried to stay away from high interest as much as i can. You said you are paying hundreds in interest per month, you can have put thme for gas & saving. Just paid off that 30% apr in the first place.

I'm waiting for some paperwork to go through, and I hope to be able to open a Balance Transfer BankofAmerica credit card, and transfer my $3k debt with 30% apr from Chase, to BofA with just 0% for 12 months! I'll be debt free in a year.

I'm fearful of buying a used car, even CPO, cause you will never truly know how the last person treated the car before you got it.

So, I'm thinking of getting the Prius C next year (July 2012 for a Birthday Present? ), and having it paid off in 3-5 years, and then buying another new car. I'll be 25 when getting the Prius C, and I'll get a nicer ride when I'm 28-30 years old.
Old 04-12-11, 01:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

uhm.

how can you, in right mind, compare vehicles of different classes?

Why would anyone cross-shop between Scion xD and Prius?
Old 04-12-11, 09:13 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's true, but you're not necessarily helpless either......there are a number things you can do to give your car better gas mileage and get the most out of every expensive gallon you do buy.

Start by cleaning anything out the trunk and interior you don't need to carry with you....weight is the enemy of acceleration, braking, handling, and fuel-mileage. Consolidate your trips into one as much as possible.....numerous cold start/warm-up cycles use a lot more gas, pollute more, and place more wear on the engine. Try to drive at steady speeds instead of a lot of stop-go or slow/fast cycles (I know, that's often hard to do or not possible in dense traffic). Avoid, if possible, areas you know have a lot of stop signs, traffic lights, or speed bumps. Drive at moderate speeds...mileage, in general, depending on the vehicle's aerodynamics, deceases significantly over 60 or 65 MPH. Keep tire PSis where they should be. And don't do jack-rabbit starts.
All helpful tips. I already follow them though, its probably why i average ~30mpg

Originally Posted by frankeysd
Yes there is, imagine if we all fill half a tank only there will be a glut of gas in their tank therefore if the inventory is just sitting on the gas company tanks they will be force to move it!!!!

Sorry but that's really stupid logic.

Say your full tank lasts you 8 days, if you fill a half tank, its only going to last you 4 days. Meaning in 4 days days your coming back and filling another half tank anyways. So all things considered, in 8 days, your STILL basically filling a full tank (half + half). For them, it doesn't make a difference, everyday 8 days they are still getting the same amount from you

Fill 1/8th of a tank everytime if you want, it doesn't matter

Last edited by KillaIS250; 04-12-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now back to OP's subject matter...

Here it's $4.219 for Chevron regular today (4/12/11 morning), with a $.18 uplift for premium.
Old 04-12-11, 10:55 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

04/03/11: $4.21 Regular, Chevron, Pasadena, CA.
04/06/11: $4.27 Regular, Chevron, Pasadena, CA.
04/12/11: $4.33 Regular, Chevron, Pasadena, CA.

Should be passed $4.50 before the end of May, and over $5 by July at this rate.
Old 04-13-11, 05:07 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Perhaps this shows how much I don't understand gas prices, economics, and so forth, but it amazes me that $106 a barrel translates to almost $4.00 a gal. (and in some places over $4) today, whereas 3 years ago we were seeing $4.00 a gal with a barrel costing $150. How does this work?

Quick Reply: Gas prices...