Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

netflix getting show with former top gear trio

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Default netflix getting show with former top gear trio

Clarkson, Hammond, and May are back.
Jeremy Clarkson has confirmed to the Sunday Times that he will return to TV with a new car show
Joining the bombastic Brit on the new show will be his former “Top Gear” co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May.
Although the publication reports that an announcement is expected in a matter of weeks, the exact network on which the show will air has yet to be confirmed,
However, sources told the Daily Mirror’s Nigel Pauley that the ex-“Top Gear” trio — along with former showrunner Andy Wilman — are “very close” to a deal with Netflix.
In recent weeks, the foursome has held meetings with a number of potential suitors including British broadcasters ITV. But it seems that Netflix has come out on top.
This development comes on the heels of the BBC’s introduction of radio DJ Chris Evans as “Top Gear’s” new front man. As a result, the 23rd season of the “Top Gear” will likely feature a lineup of all-new hosts and be the first to not feature Jeremy Clarkson since 2000.
The American online media streaming service is home to such award winning original programming as “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black.”
According to the Sunday Times, the new Clarkson-fronted car show will likely debut sometime after next March.
Top Gear’s 22nd-season ended abruptly in March after only seven of the nine planned episodes had aired, due to the suspension and subsequent dismissal of Clarkson.
Hammond and May followed Clarkson out the door by voluntarily declining to renew their respective BBC contracts, which expired in April. Wilman — longtime executive producer and close friend of Clarkson — also left the BBC in the wake of the hosts’ dismissal.
The network’s decision to part ways with the polarising TV personality came after an internal BBC inquiry found Clarkson had punched a “Top Gear” producer when he failed to obtain a hot steak dinner after a long day of filming.
In addition, the fracas with the producer came on the heels of a controversy-filled 2014 for Clarkson — which saw the TV host mired in scandal stemming from accusations of racist, sexist, and culturally insensitive comments.
Prior to his dismissal, Clarkson had spent nearly three decades with the BBC as a host on “Top Gear” and is credited with being the driving force behind the show’s explosive international success.
With more than 350 million weekly viewers, “Top Gear” set the Guinness World record as the most watched factual TV program in the world. In addition to the UK show, the Top Gear brand includes numerous international spinoffs, a live stadium tour, merchandising, a successful magazine, and a website.

http://automotivejustice.com/netflix...o-our-screens/
Old 07-01-15, 02:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Can't stop these guys! Looking forward to watching a new automotive program with this trio
Old 07-01-15, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

It hasn't been confirmed yet where. Some articles say Netflix, some say ITV...some say both.
Old 07-01-15, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It hasn't been confirmed yet where. Some articles say Netflix, some say ITV...some say both.
i think they will co-produce it with someone... so that will get massive world wide audience...
Old 07-01-15, 09:31 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome, can't wait for their new show.
Old 07-01-15, 11:32 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would definitely follow this trio onto their new network
Old 07-02-15, 12:17 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait. Top Gear UK is my favorite show. Bring back the trio!!
Old 07-02-15, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I hope Clarkson has learned from some of his past mistakes, impulses, and statements. We'll find out, I guess, when the show starts. Also, IMO, its time for him to talk about CARS...not endless ramblings about himself, personalities, politics, the scenery around him, and everything else besides what he happens to be driving or reviewing at the moment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-02-15, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope Clarkson has learned from some of his past mistakes, impulses, and statements. We'll find out, I guess, when the show starts. Also, IMO, its time for him to talk about CARS...not endless ramblings about himself, personalities, politics, the scenery around him, and everything else besides what he happens to be driving or reviewing at the moment.
Except for the fact that the issues with his delivery have never been with the viewers. I appreciate that you are not a fan, but there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of fans, TopGear under Clarkson became the most watched factual program of all time with something like 300+M weekly viewers worldwide. In fact I would suggest he would be wise to continue delivering what the fans obviously enjoy from him and not make changes to his approach.

I'm excited to see what they do once they are free of the restrictions of the BBC. Had he worked for any other broadcaster but the BBC he'd still be working there.

If you want rote reviews of cars, they are everywhere. Not everybody has to do the same thing.
Old 07-02-15, 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

IMO, its time for him to talk about CARS...not endless ramblings about himself, personalities, politics, the scenery around him, and everything else besides what he happens to be driving or reviewing at the moment.
LOL, then it wouldn't be what's made them so successful and famous.

compare with motorweek and your acquaintence John Davis who presents in a horribly staged, scripted, boring, and insincere way.

top gear has been about ADVENTURE and FUN and amazing locations, using vehicles new and old and the hosts' passion for them, as a device around which to stage it all. it's genius, and has also had EXCELLENT camera work, cinematography, sound, as well as humor, insight, controversy, and amazing interaction and good-natured conflict between the hosts.

i wouldn't want to be on a car forum where everyone agrees. ClubLexus contiunues to be successful and often fun because of good-natured disagreements!
Old 07-02-15, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've been through it before, he doesn't get it. He wants it to be like Motorweek or the old TopGear (which failed, BTW).

You'd think that the success of the show would speak for itself but apparently it doesn't lol. The shift to this format and his personality (he basically created this TopGear, came up with a lot of the ideas for the segments, the style, did a lot of the writing, etc) turned TopGear into a public access show about car reviews (i.e. Motorweek) and made it into the global phenomenon it is. But...hey...I hope Jeremy Clarkson learned his lesson lol

Not that these sites are accurate, but:

Jeremy Clarkson net worth: $50M
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...son-net-worth/

John Davis? Well...hes not really on there because he's not a celebrity.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-02-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-02-15, 04:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree.

Although without the BBC red tape, he might just think he's just free to do what he did before without the repercussions of representing a large corporation.
Old 07-02-15, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Although without the BBC red tape, he might just think he's just free to do what he did before without the repercussions of representing a large corporation.
You mean, present the sort of program that 350 million people tune in to watch every week?

Old 07-02-15, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna;
compare with motorweek and your acquaintence John Davis who presents in a horribly staged, scripted, boring, and insincere way. :thumbed:
I never said Davis was the perfect reviewer.....he isn't. What I like about him, though, is that he talks about the product....and he's a nice guy in person. He isn't full of himself like, say, Brock Yates, who I couldn't stand...Yates was worse than Clarkson.

i wouldn't want to be on a car forum where everyone agrees.
Yep.....if everyone agreed, with no conflicts, they usually wouldn't need moderators.

ClubLexus contiunues to be successful and often fun because of good-natured disagreements!
True....as long as they stay good natured. And, including you and me, we have some 100,000 posts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I agree.

BBC or not, though, you can't get into fisticuffs with the show's producers over simply trivial issues. If you caught him in bed with your wife, or molesting one of your kids, that's one thing, but over a meal?

Quick Reply: netflix getting show with former top gear trio