Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Static-Review: Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 06:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
One problem I see is overcrowding at charging stations. As the Tesla gets more and more popular how do they plan on addressing the issue of long wait times?
I've often thought about this. Not only do you have to plan a longer route or trip around the location of charging stations, and how long it will take once there, when you arrive at one, if they are in use you have even more waiting time before you can hook up.

Still too much range anxiety for me, but I'm sure as the tech improves and I adapt it wouldn't be so bad.
Old 07-06-15, 03:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
One problem I see is overcrowding at charging stations. As the Tesla gets more and more popular how do they plan on addressing the issue of long wait times?
Build more charging stations. More cars they sell the more they can afford to do so. Also lineups at gas stations are not unusual at least in my part of the world. Sure you don't have to wait 20 minutes but it can still be a hassle. And with Tesla you don't have to wait (or leave the car) for things like oil changes and the like.

I work on my own cars so I don't worry about it but I know a lot of people who dread taking their cars in for service.
Old 07-06-15, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

The other solution is faster charging. Tesla also has battery swap technology. IMHO a recharge has to happen in less than 10 minutes for this to really get mainstream.
Old 07-06-15, 06:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Build more charging stations. More cars they sell the more they can afford to do so. Also lineups at gas stations are not unusual at least in my part of the world. Sure you don't have to wait 20 minutes but it can still be a hassle. And with Tesla you don't have to wait (or leave the car) for things like oil changes and the like.

I work on my own cars so I don't worry about it but I know a lot of people who dread taking their cars in for service.
i know you follow Tesla so I know you know that there is mandatory $600 yearly checkup fee even if they dont change the oil or change anything at all...

of course, more cars they sell, more stations they need.... it was much easier to get a spot year ago than now.
Old 07-06-15, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Still too much range anxiety for me, but I'm sure as the tech improves and I adapt it wouldn't be so bad.
I dont see how this is an issue, most Tesla owners likely have more than one car. So if you are going far, take the gas powered vehicle?
Old 07-06-15, 07:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

of course, more cars they sell, more stations they need.... it was much easier to get a spot year ago than now.
Surprised they don't do some sort of reserve your charging time online before you go.
Old 07-06-15, 07:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I dont see how this is an issue, most Tesla owners likely have more than one car. So if you are going far, take the gas powered vehicle?
Just an issue with me.
Old 07-08-15, 10:47 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mmarshall, did your showroom cars have the next gen front seats? There's an option to order the original seats (N/C) that's pictured in your photos or the next gen which have more bolstering and look more appealing with a bit more design (stitching here and there) than the plain 1st gen seats. They're an extra cost.

I took a P85 out last Fall and came away impressed by the drive but as others have mentioned here, there are a few niggles such as the low rear seat bench, tight rear headroom, and large interior panel gaps (mostly the doors). I wasn't impressed with the leather either (I found Lexus ones nicer to the touch) even though they're listed as "Nappa Leather".

But everything else from the moonroof that automatically adjusts the tint to the controls on the steering wheel and large touch screen. Everything works well and smoothly. There is a bit more noise than I expected from the hatch area when sitting in the back seat that I didn't notice in an A7.
Old 07-08-15, 11:07 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
mmarshall, did your showroom cars have the next gen front seats? There's an option to order the original seats (N/C) that's pictured in your photos or the next gen which have more bolstering and look more appealing with a bit more design (stitching here and there) than the plain 1st gen seats. They're an extra cost.

I took a P85 out last Fall and came away impressed by the drive but as others have mentioned here, there are a few niggles such as the low rear seat bench, tight rear headroom, and large interior panel gaps (mostly the doors). I wasn't impressed with the leather either (I found Lexus ones nicer to the touch) even though they're listed as "Nappa Leather".

But everything else from the moonroof that automatically adjusts the tint to the controls on the steering wheel and large touch screen. Everything works well and smoothly. There is a bit more noise than I expected from the hatch area when sitting in the back seat that I didn't notice in an A7.
Seats and leather aren't quite up to the Semi Aniline grades that you'll find in a lot of the luxury cars at this price point, even with the new Next Gen Seats.

The Tesla Moonroof doesn't automatically adjust the tint... are you thinking of the Mercedes Magic Sky roof? Which even then.. isn't an automatically adjusting system.
Old 07-08-15, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the input, nextourer. The one that was in the showroom had no sticker or list of equipment on it, so I don't know if they were optional/next-gen seats or not. To me, though, the leather on them felt as smooth and slick as the Connally stuff in the older Jaguars...and that was nice stuff.

I know this was not the best or most complete review I ever did (minus even a test-drive). But that's why I specifically labeled it a condensed and not full review. You guys have been quite helpful adding to it.
Old 07-08-15, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Seats and leather aren't quite up to the Semi Aniline grades that you'll find in a lot of the luxury cars at this price point, even with the new Next Gen Seats.
Well, believe it or not, the NuLuxe leather-substitute I've seen in the Lexus CT and some other Lexus models is, IMO, as good or better than some real leather seats I've seen...and, of course, is a whole lot easier on the cows. It looked and felt much like the seats in the showroom Model S I looked at. Lexus really came up with an excellent product in that NuLuxe.
Old 07-09-15, 10:06 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

The Tesla Moonroof doesn't automatically adjust the tint... are you thinking of the Mercedes Magic Sky roof? Which even then.. isn't an automatically adjusting system.
Hmm, I could've sworn it did because I asked about the lack of a moonroof sunshade and while in the back seat, I thought I remember seeing it as my bro drove through downtown and the car was in and out of the shadow of the buildings.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the input, nextourer. The one that was in the showroom had no sticker or list of equipment on it, so I don't know if they were optional/next-gen seats or not. To me, though, the leather on them felt as smooth and slick as the Connally stuff in the older Jaguars...and that was nice stuff.

I know this was not the best or most complete review I ever did (minus even a test-drive). But that's why I specifically labeled it a condensed and not full review. You guys have been quite helpful adding to it.
You're welcome! I do enjoy your reviews (I write some myself but they're not as comprehensive as yours).

I haven't sat in an XJ for a while now. I have sat in an X-Type and while it probably isn't the same grade as the XJ, I do remember the leather being quite nice for the entry-level luxury class.

I really do have to sit in the NuLuxe again. I just remember it being rubber and unpleasant but you guys have been pretty non-chalant about it, praising it, even.
Old 07-10-15, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're welcome! I do enjoy your reviews (I write some myself but they're not as comprehensive as yours).
This one, though, wasn't as comprehensive as I would have liked it to be. Tesla just doesn't operate like most auto companies.

I haven't sat in an XJ for a while now. I have sat in an X-Type and while it probably isn't the same grade as the XJ, I do remember the leather being quite nice for the entry-level luxury class.
Even the newer Jaguar leather doesn't seem quite as nice as the old Connally grade....I've reviewed an XJ.

The X Type's standard AWD and interior weren't bad, but, as a whole, it wasn't very impressive by Jaguar standards, being, in effect, a reworked Ford Mondeo. Did you test-drive an X-type? They weren't very well built, and tended to have squeaks and rattles.

I really do have to sit in the NuLuxe again. I just remember it being rubber and unpleasant but you guys have been pretty non-chalant about it, praising it, even.
The NuLuxe that was on the CT I reviewed a while ago was first rate....and some I've looked at since. It's possible that they changed he grade of it in the meantime to cut costs, but I doubt it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-15 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-10-15, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I too think the NuLuxe is quite good.
Old 07-10-15, 07:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I too think the NuLuxe is quite good.
Ditto. I have NuLuxe in my IS and nearly two years later, there isn't a crease or any kind of wear whatsoever. Looks like the day I brought it home. Love it!

Quick Reply: MM Condensed Static-Review: Tesla Model S