Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: how long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?
never, it's a beater
0%
i never wash it so the question is irrelevant
4.35%
less than 24 hrs, hey i'm obsessive, mkay?
26.09%
a week or less
32.61%
a month or less
13.04%
depends on winter vs summer
15.22%
depends on my mood
0%
it always looks good b----!
6.52%
at least once a year, lol
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 12:56 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I workout every day and usually wipe my car down with gloss enhancer afterwards . I never wash the car because it's perpetually detailed . Only takes 10-12 min and acts as a post workout cool down before I shower

OCD ?? HELL YEAH !!
I have 3 vehicles, a truck for hauling and when we get snow, a rainy day car (or even the mere threat of rain) and a sunny day car (my modded 2001 Lexus).

My Lexus gets washed about once a year, because that's how rare it is to be caught in a rain storm.

Even then, I wipe it down nightly, even more so in the summertime with the bugs ruining the front of the car.

I8ABMR, I've now invested in painter's tape, and now if my trip is over 2+ hours on a summer's night, and I know I'm going to be rolling down the highway, I tape the front end up. LOL Saves a lot of time when I arrive (or when I return home), just pulling the bug-filled tape off. OCD??? ....hell yeah!!!!

Leased a 4GS for 2 years, and I didn't take care of it nearly as much as the my old modded 2001 GS (mu sunny day car), which people think is like a 2010 because it's so clean.
Old 07-13-15, 01:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

i wonder if there's correlation to very frequent cleanings and whether the car is kept in a garage often or not.
Old 07-13-15, 02:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to wipe my down daily when using a car cover at work....but it pretty much stays home in the garage now.
Old 07-13-15, 03:47 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Less then 24 hrs for my Black Rx350. Im guessing I could go about 2 weeks on my new GS350 as its white in color.
Old 07-13-15, 04:19 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wonder if there's correlation to very frequent cleanings and whether the car is kept in a garage often or not.
Mine's garage kept....almost never gets rained on...

Originally Posted by bagwell
I used to wipe my down daily when using a car cover at work....but it pretty much stays home in the garage now.
...and I still wipe mine down after every time I drive. Hate pollen, dust and brake dust. I guess I'm the only one this ****.

And lest you think that the car rarely gets driven like it's some kind of garage queen, it has 290,000+ miles. Yet it almost looks like it just rolled off the Lot in 2001.

My 2013 GS got much less attention and affection, poor thing. Leasing just wasn't the same as ownership.

Last edited by KevinGS; 07-14-15 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 06:25 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be that way always having a clean car now I don't have much time
Old 07-13-15, 09:53 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with the current drought and stricter water laws in CA, i hose it down at the self car washes about once a week and finish it off with some quick detailer while drying. Wash it at home in more detail about once a month
Old 07-14-15, 08:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I used to be that way always having a clean car now I don't have much time
I can wipe mine down in about 10 mins.
Old 07-14-15, 09:48 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Mine's garage kept....almost never gets rained on...

...and I still wipe mine down after every time I drive. Hate pollen, dust and brake dust. I guess I'm the only one this ****.

i know what you are going through,i have the same problem.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-14-15 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

My 2013 GS got much less attention and affection, poor thing. Leasing just wasn't the same as ownership.
Leasing, though, is where attention matters. You usually won't have any wear-and-tear clauses to deal with if you own a car. Lease it, though, and that's another matter.
Old 07-14-15, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Leasing, though, is where attention matters. You usually won't have any wear-and-tear clauses to deal with if you own a car. Lease it, though, and that's another matter.
lol matters doesn't mean people care. most people who lease, they don't care about their cars, it's just something they drive and keep for 2-3 years and move on to the next. wear and tear happens and they just deal with it and move on

i am leasing my 2015 gs and it's a car i don't care at all and i mean it. i didn't wash my car for 5 full months and the car is outside 24/7.
Old 07-14-15, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol matters doesn't mean people care. most people who lease, they don't care about their cars, it's just something they drive and keep for 2-3 years and move on to the next. wear and tear happens and they just deal with it and move on

i am leasing my 2015 gs and it's a car i don't care at all and i mean it. i didn't wash my car for 5 full months and the car is outside 24/7.
Well, if you are lucky during the lease period, and something outside (or even inside, for that matter) doesn't cause it any damage, fine. All I said, in the meantime, is that, with a leased vehicle, you may have to be concerned with matters that are less-important if you yourself own the car. The details, of course, are spelled out in the wear-and-tear clause of the contract. I don't consider that an lol.......that is a fact.
Old 07-14-15, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol as in how easily you drift OT often.

leasing a car and return it after 2 years, vs buying a new car and selling it after 2 years, everything considered including damages, you probably cares about both cases the same way financially. it doesn't "matter" as much to you when you own a car mostly because you don't sell it that soon so the damages get buried in the depreciation.

again, if you don't truly lease, i think you have a weak say in the lease mentality
Old 07-14-15, 05:33 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
lol as in how easily you drift OT often.

leasing a car and return it after 2 years, vs buying a new car and selling it after 2 years, everything considered including damages, you probably cares about both cases the same way financially. it doesn't "matter" as much to you when you own a car mostly because you don't sell it that soon so the damages get buried in the depreciation.

again, if you don't truly lease, i think you have a weak say in the lease mentality

I kept my leased GS pristeen for about 6 months, when I thought I may keep it.

Once I realized after 6 months that I was turning it back in, it became like a rental. LOL I drove it like a bat outta hell, didn't wash it, and it never saw the garage again. It really didn't feel like "mine" anymore, just a luxurious rental.

I may lease again, but will do a better job of picking a car I actually may keep.
Old 07-14-15, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Once I realized after 6 months that I was turning it back in, it became like a rental. LOL
didn't become like a rental, it WAS a rental.

I may lease again, but will do a better job of picking a car I actually may keep.
hehe, maybe you will, maybe you won't.

most people leasing a car could not care less about maintaining it. many reported stories of people NEVER changing the oil during the lease because the car "wasn't theirs" so "why should they care?"

that's why those 'pristine' 'fresh of lease' 'bargains' aren't necessarily so. it may be shiny and new, but down the road you may have more problems wiping out the 'savings' vs. buying a new car to start with.

Quick Reply: How long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?