Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick and the 24 HR Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 06:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And like I have said numerous times, Buick is in a class that really has no real true competitor. If Mercury was still around Buick would have one. GMC is sort of in the same situation with the Acadia Denali that retails at a starting price of $47K. That puts in right in Mercedes Benz territory but it is clear that the brands dont really compare.

I don't have much respect for CR, but they see the Enclave as a competitor for the Ford Flex and the Toyota Highlander.

Buick Verano compares with the Mazda 3 and the Subaru Imprezza according to CR, but I notice they don't agree that the ILX is a true competitor, but MT does.
This logic is self-fulfilling. There are tons of makes that you could say the same thing about, because you can't match up each and every model.

So--Lexus is not a competitor with Infiniti because Infiniti doesn't have a compact hybrid 5-door hatchback, and doesn't have a true flagship car to compete with the LS?

Or that Honda and Toyota aren't true competitors because Honda doesn't have a full-sized family sedan to compete with the Avalon, and Honda doesn't have full-sized off-road SUVs to compete with the 4Runner and Land Cruiser?

Or that Mazda doesn't compete with any of the other Japanese brands because it doesn't have as full a line up as Honda, Toyota and Nissan, and doesn't sell a mini-van.

Repeating over and over that Buick has no competitor doesn't make it true.
Old 07-26-15, 06:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I "Highly" doubt the Jeep brand is being cross shopped with Porsche,
If you don't think a Jeep GC SRT is being cross-shopped with a Cayenne, then you just don't know this category.
Old 07-26-15, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This logic is self-fulfilling. There are tons of makes that you could say the same thing about, because you can't match up each and every model.

So--Lexus is not a competitor with Infiniti because Infiniti doesn't have a compact hybrid 5-door hatchback, and doesn't have a true flagship car to compete with the LS?

Or that Honda and Toyota aren't true competitors because Honda doesn't have a full-sized family sedan to compete with the Avalon, and Honda doesn't have full-sized off-road SUVs to compete with the 4Runner and Land Cruiser?

Or that Mazda doesn't compete with any of the other Japanese brands because it doesn't have as full a line up as Honda, Toyota and Nissan, and doesn't sell a mini-van.

So, is Buick on the same level as Lexus or Infiniti? Is Buick a Tier 1 Luxury brand?
Old 07-26-15, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Agreed. And one should also go out and actually look at and/or test-drive some vehicles before trying to pontificate about them.
Old 07-26-15, 06:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default Buick and the 24 HR Test Drive

So, is Buick on the same level as Lexus or Infiniti? Is Buick a Tier 1 Luxury brand?
This "tier 1 luxury" thing is just something you have invented lol. There's no such criteria. People compare cars model to model, if someone is shopping for an LS, they don't have something to compare it to at Buick, or Acura, or Cadillac. But...if they're looking at an ES they do...if they're looking at a GS they do...RX....they do.
Old 07-26-15, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't think a Jeep GC SRT is being cross-shopped with a Cayenne, then you just don't know this category.
The Jeep as a brand is nowhere near the brand prestige of Porsche. So what, the GC SRT is not as special as a Cayenne.
Old 07-26-15, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This "tier 1 luxury" thing is just something you have invented lol. There's no such criteria. People compare cars model to model, if someone is shopping for an LS, they don't have something to compare it to at Buick, or Acura, or Cadillac. But...if they're looking at an ES they do...if they're looking at a GS they do...RX....they do.
Thanks, but I did not invent the Tier 1 concept.
Old 07-26-15, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Jeep as a brand is nowhere near the brand prestige of Porsche. So what, the GC SRT is not as special as a Cayenne.
Seeing that you've never driven either vehicle I'll take your opinion for what it is lol
Old 07-26-15, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, but I did not invent the Tier 1 concept.
It's a meaningless forum speak statement. There's no such demarcation.
Old 07-26-15, 06:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Seeing that you've never driven either vehicle I'll take your opinion for what it is lol
How do you know I have not driven either vehicle? I'm a simply saying that the Jeep brand is nowhere near what the Porsche brand is. SRT is not at all as prestigious as AMG, or M. Look how long Lexus has been trying to get credibility for the F brand, and I would argue that the Lexus F brand is more in line with Cadillac V in that they are both not as prestigious as what MB, Audi, and BMW have to offer.
Old 07-26-15, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How do you know I have not driven either vehicle?
Call it a hunch.

I'm a simply saying that the Jeep brand is nowhere near what the Porsche brand is. SRT is not at all as prestigious as AMG, or M. Look how long Lexus has been trying to get credibility for the F brand, and I would argue that the Lexus F brand is more in line with Cadillac V in that they are both not as prestigious as what MB, Audi, and BMW have to offer.
I'm not refuting any of that. I'm just saying that the "prestige of the brand" is not the only, and not even the most important consideration for people buying these vehicles.

It seems to be all that matters to you, and that means you're missing out on a lot of great cars.
Old 07-26-15, 06:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Call it a hunch.

I'm not refuting any of that. I'm just saying that the "prestige of the brand" is not the only, and not even the most important consideration for people buying these vehicles.

It seems to be all that matters to you, and that means you're missing out on a lot of great cars.
Brand loyalty and percrption among the top tier brands is higher than you think. Lexus, MB, and BMW have far higher brand perception than other true luxury makes.

The average person is more affected by branding than you think
Old 07-26-15, 06:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then how can they possibly sell any Buick Lacrosses, Enclaves, Yukons, Hyundai Genesis or Jeep Grand Cherokees in the same price space as luxury brand cars? Like you say, anybody who can buy a luxury branded car just will right?
Old 07-26-15, 07:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Then how can they possibly sell any Buick Lacrosses, Enclaves, Yukons, Hyundai Genesis or Jeep Grand Cherokees in the same price space as luxury brand cars? Like you say, anybody who can buy a luxury branded car just will right?
Not everyone is brand loyal. I think Toyota is tops at %55ish for staying within the brand.

Generally speaking, it works as follows:

1. Marketing MOST important
2. Brand Loyalty
3. Brand perception
4. Test drive which is specifically designed by the manufacturer (if it is a good one) to reaffirm and support the above three

Believe it or not, there are lots of people who are brand loyal to Buick, Yukon, Jeep etc etc etc. There are also some that switch brands or do not care what the next car is.

But, most people do not go out blindly and cross shop a variety of vehicles from different segments. He average person is living paycheck to paycheck and usually fit into a specific segment, and hopefully the marketing will work.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-26-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 07:52 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Back on topic, I think it is a smart move on Buicks' part because many potential buyers may feel obligated to buy the car after having it for 24 hours. It may be difficult to go back to the Buick salesman and say, "I lived with it. It just isnt' for me". I think there is a psychological component at play here.

Okay, now everyone can go back and discuss which vehicles fit into which tiers and which ones are cross-shopped with others.

Quick Reply: Buick and the 24 HR Test Drive