Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus ranks 10th in appealing luxury brands according to JD Powers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 06:26 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Lexus ranks 10th in appealing luxury brands according to JD Powers

Lincoln ahead of Lexus. Hmmm

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/j-d-p...#slide-3569957
Old 08-05-15, 06:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Lincoln ahead of Lexus. Hmmm]
Although JR is pretty useless. I will say that the competition have more appealing products on surface in my opinion.

I have said it before, the MKS, or the Navigator are betting looking vehicles than Lexus. But I still would rather have a Lexus.

Where Lexus falls very short are in vehicles outside of the RX and ES which sell well. The 3.5 GR is how old? The LX and LS should of bee updated years ago, the GX is seriously dated and flawed, the RC leaves a lot to be desired, and it goes on and on.
Old 08-05-15, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As it relates to this article, I think we need to define the term "appealing" before we can even go on discussing it? What does it mean in reference to luxury/premium car sales? Looks? Desire to own? Customer satisfaction with the purchase? Likelihood of a repeat purchase? Depreciation rates and/or the ease of re-selling? I know the dictionary gives a standard textbook definition for the term, but that really doesn't tell us much about surveys like this and that they indicate. That's why, IMO, Consumer Reports does a much better job with issues like this...they break it down into self-explaining categories and measure actual customer satisfaction with the vehicle.

Take Jaguar, for instance. This survey ranks it #2 in the U.S. for "appealing", but how many customers actually buy or lease one?...not very many in the U.S. Lexus, in last place among the Top Ten, actually sells a lot more vehicles...so it's clear where the customers are actually putting their money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-15 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-05-15, 06:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
... the GX is seriously dated and flawed
but appears to be selling better than ever.

the RC leaves a lot to be desired
for a coupe its sales are not bad.

but lexus could be doing a lot better if they introduced more and updated products and more quickly to be more competitive.
Old 08-05-15, 08:34 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received a JD Power survey after purchasing my Lexus. It was not a great survey. About 8-10 questions early on about why you bought the car and if you would recommend to a friend. Then it went to like 5 to 6 pages of which magazines, newspapers, websites you look at. It was more about aligning the advertisers then actually looking at the vehicle survey. They did send me $5 which was nice for getting a cold beverage on a hot day.
Old 08-05-15, 08:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Although JR is pretty useless. I will say that the competition have more appealing products on surface in my opinion.

I have said it before, the MKS, or the Navigator are betting looking vehicles than Lexus. But I still would rather have a Lexus.

Where Lexus falls very short are in vehicles outside of the RX and ES which sell well. The 3.5 GR is how old? The LX and LS should of bee updated years ago, the GX is seriously dated and flawed, the RC leaves a lot to be desired, and it goes on and on.
it would be the best if they updated all their vehicles each year, sure... but thats not going to happen... considering Lexus just took the crown last month, I think they are doing quite well.
Old 08-05-15, 08:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Win some you lose some. Lexus sales are still very strong.

Maybe Lexus needs to get their 'niche' on
Old 08-05-15, 09:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The thread title is incorrect/misleading. (moderator edit: title made more accurate, thanks)

PatrixUSA is correct. This is not a study of luxury vehicles, it's all vehicles, and Lexus did not place last. Lexus placed in the top 10. Sure, it'd be great if they were number 1, but top 10 is still good. It's good to have something to strive for.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-05-15 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-05-15, 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it would be the best if they updated all their vehicles each year, sure... but thats not going to happen... considering Lexus just took the crown last month, I think they are doing quite well.
Take out the Lexus ES and RX sales and they are not so great. I would say they would be barely sustainable for thebUS market.
Old 08-05-15, 10:09 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

the list was going great....... until it mentioned Audi.
Then it was all downhill from there.

Audi makes some of the most boring looking cars these days, with their hexagonal themes and heavy creases.
What appeal?

Lincoln??? What, the mkx and mks? Their whole line up is FWD.

This appeal nonsense must be associated with how much marketing the brands have done.
Lincoln, with their mcconna hey alright alright alright.
Germans with all their movie cameos.

I wouldn't rank lexus in the top 5, but the last half of that list is messed up.
Old 08-05-15, 10:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Audi makes some of the most boring looking cars these days, with their hexagonal themes and heavy creases.
What appeal?
You don't think that the Audi A5 and S5 are beautiful coupes? IMO, the designers who came up with this body styling should get an award.....except maybe for the too-large grille.

Old 08-06-15, 06:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

Take out the Lexus ES and RX sales and they are not so great. I would say they would be barely sustainable for thebUS market.
And if you take out the C/E class MB sales would be horrible. Or if you take the 3/4 series and X5, BMW would be out of business. Every brand has their bread and butter cars
Old 08-06-15, 07:33 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus has lost the plot. 10 to 15 years ago Lexus used to be one of the leaders in not only reliability, but also innovations, technologies, performance and efficiency. Now it's playing catch-up in just about every area, if it's catching up at all. It's about time for a study like this to show the management at Toyota/Lexus what the reality is like and to hopefully wake them up before it's really too late.

Back in the days when J.D Power APEAL started in 2005:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060103...asp?ID=2005174

And now... a decade later in 2015:
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...ut-apeal-study
Attached Thumbnails Lexus ranks 10th in appealing luxury brands according to JD Powers-2005-jd-power-apeal.gif  

Last edited by ydooby; 08-06-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 09:47 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
It's actually the J.D. Power 2015 U.S. Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) study, and it includes all brands, and the way I see it, Lexus did not come in last, they made the top ten. The thread title is a little deceptive as the study looked at all brands with the average being 798, Lexus scored 831, making the top ten. (moderator edit: title now fixed, thanks)

USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...audi/30502031/

JD Power
http://autos.jdpower.com/content/stu...dy-results.htm
http://ratings.jdpower.com/automotiv...tudy/index.htm

PatrixUSA
The article should stop at "top 6", or "top 7" at most, because there's nothing "top" about getting ranked 10th out of 12 premium nameplates and scoring below the premium average.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-06-15 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I agree...this is something Lexus needs to address. IMHO this is directly a result of old infotainment setups, powertrains, etc.

Quick Reply: Lexus ranks 10th in appealing luxury brands according to JD Powers