Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 10:19 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rogzballz
If you need to haggle, then you probably shouldn't be looking at a new lexus anyways ...
I didn't get into the position of being able to afford a Lexus by paying asking price. Nice try though. 😆
Old 04-06-16, 10:44 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need to haggle, then you probably shouldn't be looking at a new lexus anyways ...
LOL
Old 04-06-16, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

That is a totally ridiculous statement...
Old 04-06-16, 11:41 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Riiight.... No disrespect, but you sound like the remarkably-arrogant sales person/manager type I've occasionally encountered at local dealerships in the past. I'll never forget a sales manager lecturing me when trying to buy a new GS350 (and not having any of his BS) about how "the luxury car market is different". LOL, we had a brand new GX470 in the garage at the time...

More broadly...

It's called price discrimination, and it applies in many other areas of our lives (at different scale). If given the option, some people will be willing to pay more than others for the same product or service.

Think of mail-in rebates: why not get you the discount right off the bat? Because the people who can't be bothered to mail (or submit) the rebate will have ended up paying more, resulting in a higher profit to the merchant. Folks who are more sensitive to price (which in principle, does NOT have to be tied to ability to pay) will take the extra five minutes to mail or submit the rebate form. Airlines have been doing it forever too with their revenue management system, based on timing of your purchase and other factors. I could go on.

Bottom line: I concur with the thinking that I want to get a fair deal (consistent with the broader market, preferably in the tail of the distribution) while being very mindful that the dealership and salesperson need to make a profit.

The process isn't always the most enjoyable (if you have a wise guy at either end of the deal), but if you have two people trying to do business and not play stupid games (it's amazing how sloppy some of these folks can get), it is fine. Buyers whose willingness to pay is higher allow for folks whose willingness to pay is lower (and are willing to do the research/work, accordingly) to get a deal they're happy with, and everybody wins (so to speak).
Old 04-06-16, 11:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

You should probably process your thoughts before saying it or typing it.
Old 04-06-16, 12:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I remember sitting in a BMW salesman's office with my Dad and the salesman responded to his price offer (which was not absurd) with "if the 7 series is too expensive for you we do have cheaper cars you might more easily be able to afford".

Suffice it to say we left the dealership without a 7 series LOL
Old 04-06-16, 12:51 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL x infinity
Old 04-06-16, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No...go out and pay even MORE for a new Mercedes.
Old 04-06-16, 02:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I encountered a "no haggle" Toyota dealer when I was looking at a Highlander in '12. Their price was the highest of 12 dealers I reached out to--and those 11 other dealers' prices were their "opening" bids, without negotiation at all.
I don't see how any of these 11 dealers are going to succeed at a no haggle price. A regular dealer will just lower their price forcing the no haggle dealer to perhaps lower their price in the long run which does nothing for the brand. Historically Toyota and Lexus vehicles have sold for somewhat of a premium over other brands that rely on big discounts.

Funny enough, Lexus Canada is offering a $3000 discount on a Lexus ES350 base model which puts it right in the same MSRP price point as a Toyota Avalon base at $38,500 each. Even more crazy is $5000 of a LS460-F Sport. I do not remember these types of discounts back in the day.
Old 04-06-16, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I got almost $10,000 off of my LS460.
Old 04-06-16, 04:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Didnt they already try the whole "no-haggle pricing" thing with another brand.......hmmmm......scion

Scion did well right with that sale strategy right?
Old 04-06-16, 05:19 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tronald? Is that you? oh wait, he would not only haggle the price, but then pay only half the bill afterwards.
Old 04-06-16, 05:46 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Didnt they already try the whole "no-haggle pricing" thing with another brand.......hmmmm......scion

Saturn, too.
Old 04-06-16, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

Yup, and Saturn and Scion are no longer around. Well, Scion is still sort of around for a little bit longer.
Old 04-06-16, 06:50 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, the firm, non-negotiable price appears to be custom-tailored to a particular market and based on a slightly lower "average price paid", in line with Truecar data. Aggressive negotiators obviously could do better, but for many, if some perks + a liberal trade in value is offered, it might be just a pain-free "good deal" worth taking. To justify this method of selling, a dealer would have to build value elsewhere, other than selling price

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores