Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 02:35 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

An important part of determining the value of a product is the knowledge that are you are offered a fair price based on the current market supply and demand: hence a quick market survey within a certain radius that I was happy to conduct. It took 3 emails to internet sales managers to establish what's fair and what is not.

The point of Lexus Plus, as I see it, is that you are offered a fair price. I am not interested in the best, or the lowest, just fair. It is my responsibility to establish, verify and confirm the claims made by the dealer. Its called due diligence.

Humongous discounts and rebates don't do any one any good. iIts a mirage, nothing more and nothing less. As a former fan of British automobiles, I am fascinated by Land Rover/Tata pricing strategy and their value building success. Its at the bottom of reliability lists, certain Range Rover models are priced close to $200k. Yet, discounts are virtually non-existent, customers are paying MSRP and worldwide sales keep going up.

I'd like Lexus to reinvent itself and move away from domestic car makers' strategies. If that involves the end of rebates games, trunk money and shady haggling, I am all for it.

To conclude all this, the market will determine whether Lexus Plus strategy works or not. It will work for some and will not for others. Yet the sales numbers WILL tell the truth.

Last edited by yakim; 05-22-16 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not automatically. You have to look it up model vs model.
The problem is, though, that when you "look it up", the various sources often don't agree....often for the exact same vehicle. That's why I said, long ago, that it can be difficult to determine just what the dealership paid for a vehicle. Dealerships also sometimes have hidden, unannounced incentives to sell by the end of the month, to get vehicles in stock cleared out....that is one reason why my brother got such a good trade-in on his old Soul and a healthy discount on the his new Sportage when he bought it last June 30, the last day of the month.
Old 05-22-16, 04:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
An important part of determining the value of a product is the knowledge that are you are offered a fair price based on the current market supply and demand: hence a quick market survey within a certain radius that I was happy to conduct. It took 3 emails to internet sales managers to establish what's fair and what is not.

The point of Lexus Plus, as I see it, is that you are offered a fair price. I am not interested in the best, or the lowest, just fair. It is my responsibility to establish, verify and confirm the claims made by the dealer. Its called due diligence.

Humongous discounts and rebates don't do any one any good. iIts a mirage, nothing more and nothing less. As a former fan of British automobiles, I am fascinated by Land Rover/Tata pricing strategy and their value building success. Its at the bottom of reliability lists, certain Range Rover models are priced close to $200k. Yet, discounts are virtually non-existent, customers are paying MSRP and worldwide sales keep going up.

I'd like Lexus to reinvent itself and move away from domestic car makers' strategies. If that involves the end of rebates games, trunk money and shady haggling, I am all for it.

To conclude all this, the market will determine whether Lexus Plus strategy works or not. It will work for some and will not for others. Yet the sales numbers WILL tell the truth.
Land Rover and specifically the Range Rover Line are niche market players. They are desperately trying to come out with a mass market hit with the discovery sport. evoque etc. To compare Lexus to LR is hardly a fair comparison. The RX + ES sales combined account for more then the entire LR lineup.
Old 05-22-16, 05:11 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Land Rover and specifically the Range Rover Line are niche market players. They are desperately trying to come out with a mass market hit with the discovery sport. evoque etc. To compare Lexus to LR is hardly a fair comparison. The RX + ES sales combined account for more then the entire LR lineup.
..But who gives a broken dime if a manufacturer is labeled a niche market player, or not. Their profit margins are thru' the roof and people are happy paying MSRP + insane maintenance costs.

Tata built up the value thru the roof and continues to be a trail-blazer in the true luxury segment. Its high time Lexus did something to transform itself from being a Toyota stepchild into a bona fide luxury brand.
Old 05-22-16, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

You put forward no less effort than I do when I buy a car, and the result is you just paid more...how thats a win for LexusPlus I don't know. Literally all I do is look up the data online, and email three dealers.

Lexus plus doesn't do away with rebates, they will still offer rebates to move cars. It just does away with the dealer's ability to be flexible to work a deal out with a customer who needs savings beyond those rebates to pull the trigger and buy. What it does is make the car cost the same from all my local dealers, removing those dealers ability to compete for my purchase. How can you think removing that competition benefits me as the consumer?

You can't compare Land Rover and Lexus. Completely different types of brands. If you want what Land Rover offers, why not buy a Land Rover instead of trying to turn Lexus into a Land Rover?
Old 05-22-16, 06:29 PM
yakim
Pole Position

[QUOTE=SW15LS;9493994.
You can't compare Land Rover and Lexus. Completely different types of brands. If you want what Land Rover offers, why not buy a Land Rover instead of trying to turn Lexus into a Land Rover?[/QUOTE]

Lem'me tell you why and give it to you straight up: I am utterly not interested in your ES/GS/LS comparisons, rebates, holdbacks, incentives, special finance rates and what your neighbor/wife said (s)he could buy it for, or not.
This is your market, sir, definitely not mine. If and when I decide than Lexus is not a luxury brand, has no cache and has become a Toyota stepchild, I ... and tons of other luxury buyers will have no problem moving on to the next 5-6 brands out there. I am sure corporate Lexus is reading all of this idiotic chatter and making their own conclusions.

Disclosure: I am on 24/7 and this forum is my hourly diversion in the midst of an 100 hr work week.
Old 05-22-16, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If and when I decide than Lexus is not a luxury brand, has no cache and has become a Toyota stepchild, I ... and tons of other luxury buyers will have no problem moving on to the next 5-6 brands out there. I am sure corporate Lexus is reading all of this idiotic chatter and making their own conclusions.
Seeing that Lexus sales are as high as they've ever been, I don't think this is a realistic risk lol.

Disclosure: I am on 24/7 and this forum is my hourly diversion in the midst of an 100 hr work week.
What does this have to do with anything? And why do we care?
Old 05-22-16, 07:01 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Seeing that Lexus sales are as high as they've ever been, I don't think this is a realistic risk lol.

What does this have to do with anything? And why do we care?

LOL. The penny pinchin' , bargain bin shoppin', Chevy Caddy review writtin' ilk of yer's don't.

Apparently, Lexis does. How 'bout ye' saved s'me money and bought ye an Avalon!
Old 05-22-16, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, I will never apologize for taking the time to negotiate as good a deal as I can on a large purchase. If you think that makes me "cheap" thats a reflection on you, not me. I don't pay more than I have to for a commodity like a car.

I'm not going to continue this exchange with you, if you're going to resort to silly personal attacks its not worth the effort. If anybody else still wants to discuss this topic I'm happy to because its an interesting one.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-22-16 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 07:19 PM
yakim
Pole Position

LOL, I will never apologize for taking the time to negotiate as good a deal as I can on a large purchase. If you think that makes me "cheap" thats a reflection on you, not me. I don't pay more than I have to for a commodity like a car.

No need to fret, be upset or pout. Based on your honest comments, you are a perfect Toyota shopper. Toyota is huge brand and offers great value and spectacular discounts. Need a referral for a bird-dogg fee?

Peace and no hard feelings, sir! There's enough space for all of us ...Regards and best wishes ... from War, West Virginia

Tat Tvam Asi

Last edited by yakim; 05-22-16 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree with you, huge rebates don't do anyone a good thing. Lexus sells a lot of RX and ES models, without them, I wonder where the sales stand.
Old 05-22-16, 07:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree with you, huge rebates don't do anyone a good thing. Lexus sells a lot of RX and ES models, without them, I wonder where the sales stand.
When did this happen? Lexus fills these models with rebates and incentives hence a model not fully into the 1 year marker is being bought a significant discount. Now one might question the validity of forum posts and ego/actuality, but pages upon pages point to the same thing.

Rebates are needed in any car purchase. Now what a mfg calls a rebate or reward to move a certain product depends on the class of product and the demand.
Old 05-22-16, 07:47 PM
yakim
Pole Position

No, rebates are not needed unless the manufacturer overpriced their cars and is trying to manipulate the useful idiots by offfering them huge discounts and lure them into believing its a win/win situation. The key is to determine the value and go from there.

Fortunately, there's enough dumb people to take the bait and play along and then brag about the money they saved and the great deals they got.

There is a sucker born every minute

Last edited by yakim; 05-22-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 07:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
When did this happen? Lexus fills these models with rebates and incentives hence a model not fully into the 1 year marker is being bought a significant discount. Now one might question the validity of forum posts and ego/actuality, but pages upon pages point to the same thing.

Rebates are needed in any car purchase. Now what a mfg calls a rebate or reward to move a certain product depends on the class of product and the demand.
I remember a time when Toyota and Lexus models had small to no rebates. Now they aggressively push the bread and butter models more than ever with some rebates.
Old 05-22-16, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I remember a time when Toyota and Lexus models had small to no rebates. Now they aggressively push the bread and butter models more than ever with some rebates.
The volume cars have always had rebates. My 2003 ES was bought over 10% off list, as was my 2010 ES. Whats changed is the rebates on the LS which are huge, but thats a factor of it being so old.

$7,500 performance cash on the LS right now...which means you can get 20% off of a new LS.

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores