Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Did you ever offer 2 cents for your LS? They might have taken it. LOL.
Now I'll never know LOL

I have done that too - on a $30,000 sale. I liked it. I paid what was the sticker on the car, as I thought it was a fair market value, and drove away. Have you ever had the guts to do something like that?
Yes I have. If a MSRP is a good price, then I have no issue paying MSRP. Paid MSRP for my wife's 04 Prius when they were hot. Even that though, I had to travel 350 miles to pay just MSRP, so in effect even then I did shop for and negotiate the best deal I could.

What I think a good price is has nothing to do with MSRP.

It is not the overpaying part. The part that is shocking is you want to pay "less" - for no specific reason. You say you want to save money. But then I propose, have you ever offered $1000 for a $90K car and got it? That would be really "less".
Why is it shocking that I want to pay less? Don't we all want to pay less? All things being equal if you could pay more, or pay less...would you not choose less? Why would I want to pay more all things being equal?

Why would I offer something absurd? That would be a waste of my time and everybody else's time. I'm not looking to waste time.

No nothing wrong in negotiating. But if you were negotiating just so that it was less than what somebody else had paid for similar business in the market, then yes. It is horrifying window into the human mind.
Hell yes I want to pay less than somebody else paid for a similar business in the market. I want to pay as little as I can. I'm not looking to cheat people, but if I can pay less...I want to pay less.

Thats business...thats capitalism. If I went around paying more than I had to for businesses my business wouldn't be as strong as it could be.
Old 05-27-16, 01:33 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Why is it shocking that I want to pay less? Don't we all want to pay less? All things being equal if you could pay more, or pay less...would you not choose less? Why would I want to pay more all things being equal?

Why would I offer something absurd? That would be a waste of my time and everybody else's time. I'm not looking to waste time.
Sounds like if you don't pay less, then your inner compass points to "I am paying more" direction. How about paying the right price? The right price is not what others have paid, or will pay, but what you a mix of all that, your time, your need, and the opportunity cost.

Hell yes I want to pay less than somebody else paid for a similar business in the market.
Why are you measuring yourself against somebody else's performance?

I want to pay as little as I can.
Nothing wrong with that sentence on it's own.

I'm not looking to cheat people, but if I can pay less...I want to pay less.
That makes sense too. But only issue is people keep pushing, not knowing when to stop. Just because somebody else was able to get that for cheaper (due to a multitude of reasons, the stars aligned correctly included) does not mean that is now the official benchmark.

Thats business...thats capitalism. If I went around paying more than I had to for businesses my business wouldn't be as strong as it could be.
Your business should be running using your numbers, your cost, not somebody elses. At the end If you can make good coin, that is the price you pay for it.
Old 05-27-16, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like if you don't pay less, then your inner compass points to "I am paying more" direction. How about paying the right price? The right price is not what others have paid, or will pay, but what you a mix of all that, your time, your need, and the opportunity cost.
The right price varies depending on the person, their goals, and how important having the cheapest price is to them. If you don't pay less...you ARE paying more...thats just reality. Whether you're comfortable with that depends on your individual situation. I'm a consumer that wants the best price for what I buy for the most part. Other consumers may value ease, and experience, and other benefits or perks. I really don't care about any of that. In that situation with the Prius, driving 700 miles round trip saved me $8,000. I made $800 an hour to drive that trip...

Why are you measuring yourself against somebody else's performance?
Because thats how pricing for a commodity is determined. You look at what other transactions have happened and at what price (i.e. what other people have paid) and you determine value from that. The only way to know if you're getting a good deal relative to the marketplace is to compare your deal with what others have done. Its not about "beating" others, its just about maximizing value for yourself. This is how businesses are valued, how real property is valued, how commodities are valued, etc.

That makes sense too. But only issue is people keep pushing, not knowing when to stop. Just because somebody else was able to get that for cheaper (due to a multitude of reasons, the stars aligned correctly included) does not mean that is now the official benchmark.
Theres no such thing as an official benchmark, but I don't blame people for trying to get to the best deal for themselves and their family. Its not personal or emotional, its just business.

Your business should be running using your numbers, your cost, not somebody elses. At the end If you can make good coin, that is the price you pay for it.
The bottom line is that overpaying for items is detrimental to my business and personal finances. Paying less improves those finances.

Lets put it to you this way, lets say you find out another wholesale distributor can provide you the same product for your retail store, with the same level of service and commitment, for a lower price? As a business owner do you not explore that?

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-27-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 02:04 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The right price varies depending on the person, their goals, and how important having the cheapest price is to them. If you don't pay less...you ARE paying more...thats just reality. Whether you're comfortable with that depends on your individual situation. I'm a consumer that wants the best price for what I buy for the most part. Other consumers may value ease, and experience, and other benefits or perks. I really don't care about any of that. In that situation with the Prius, driving 700 miles round trip saved me $8,000. I have a hard time believing most people wouldn't spend 10 hours in a car and an overnight to save $8,000. $3,000? That might be a different story.

Because thats how pricing for a commodity is determined. You look at what other transactions have happened and at what price (i.e. what other people have paid) and you determine value from that. The only way to know if you're getting a good deal relative to the marketplace is to compare your deal with what others have done. Its not about "beating" others, its just about maximizing value for yourself. This is how businesses are valued, how real property is valued, how commodities are valued, etc.

Theres no such thing as an official benchmark, but I don't blame people for trying to get to the best deal for themselves and their family. Its not personal or emotional, its just business.

The bottom line is that overpaying for items is detrimental to my business and personal finances. Paying less improves those finances.

Lets put it to you this way, lets say you find out another wholesale distributor can provide you the same product for your retail store, with the same level of service and commitment, for a lower price? As a business owner do you not explore that?
I explore but do not jump just because price is lower. I explore and then do not come back to my original supplier and wrangle his hand. If the alternate is better, I will switch. Simple. No emotions.

to your Prius story, that is what I am also saying. There is always a balance, between what you are paying, and what you are losing.
Old 05-27-16, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I explore but do not jump just because price is lower. I explore and then do not come back to my original supplier and wrangle his hand. If the alternate is better, I will switch. Simple. No emotions.
Exactly how I would handle it. Especially with a supplier the price savings can get eaten up real quick with delivery, dependability and such.

Only difference is I would give my current supplier the opportunity to keep my business by matching what the new supplier is offering if I had decided to switch.

to your Prius story, that is what I am also saying. There is always a balance, between what you are paying, and what you are losing.
Always. Just be careful not to over-emphasize the value of the "experience". Companies make a lot of money off of an intangible "experience" by convincing you that it has more value than it does. Case in point, your store vs Nordstrom. Same product, Nordstrom is more because it offers a certain "experience".

Thats my concern about "LexusPlus". I'm all for a stress free experience to a point. If I find that I wind up paying several thousand dollars more for a vehicle to have that experience which is what I suspect will happen...I'd rather just keep it the way it is.
Old 05-27-16, 03:06 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, this went from Lexus haggle free pilot program to a discussion about the inner psyche that drives someone to seek out the lowest price discussion.
Old 05-27-16, 03:38 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So then what's the problem paying MSRP? Just the fact that someone is not offering a couple of words claiming that this is the best price that everyone else pays?

Or is the current sticker price not providing enough value?
Old 05-27-16, 04:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

so SW, with all this 'shopping' where do you actually test drive the car, and when you test it, do you just say thanks and leave and don't let the sales 'wrestling' begin?
Old 05-27-16, 05:21 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Exactly how I would handle it. Especially with a supplier the price savings can get eaten up real quick with delivery, dependability and such.

Only difference is I would give my current supplier the opportunity to keep my business by matching what the new supplier is offering if I had decided to switch.

Always. Just be careful not to over-emphasize the value of the "experience". Companies make a lot of money off of an intangible "experience" by convincing you that it has more value than it does. Case in point, your store vs Nordstrom. Same product, Nordstrom is more because it offers a certain "experience".

Thats my concern about "LexusPlus". I'm all for a stress free experience to a point. If I find that I wind up paying several thousand dollars more for a vehicle to have that experience which is what I suspect will happen...I'd rather just keep it the way it is.
Now we are going somewhere!

I am very calm and do not appreciate any "experience " where they are babysitting you or really pushing you because there is not much difference between the two. That said, in my business I do ensure that my customers are treated - right from when they stepped in, with clarity, honesty and genuine, and not babysitting them unless they want to, and guess what - it is a 50/50 split - 50% love to pick out clothes on their own, and 50% like the shopping concierge experience - where we help them pick and coordinate the pieces that they are picking.
Old 05-27-16, 05:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so SW, with all this 'shopping' where do you actually test drive the car, and when you test it, do you just say thanks and leave and don't let the sales 'wrestling' begin?
Interestingly, in all these years no dealer has ever called me back once I have given them my price, and they did not accept it, and I walked off.
Old 05-27-16, 05:26 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So then what's the problem paying MSRP? Just the fact that someone is not offering a couple of words claiming that this is the best price that everyone else pays?

Or is the current sticker price not providing enough value?
I have paid sticker price too...simply because the next one of the kind of car I wanted was 3000 miles away and $4k more.
Old 05-27-16, 06:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I have paid sticker price too...simply because the next one of the kind of car I wanted was 3000 miles away and $4k more.
See if you can do that, and someone else pays 4K more, and then someone else pays 4K less sticker whats the big reason for the push to go one price fits all type of deal in the car biz then?
Old 05-27-16, 06:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I guess then the great Lexus IS now haggling.... They put up a price and I either take it or walk away. I wonder why they are calling it haggle free pricing.

Haggling is when we go back and forth on my price your price and everything in between and then add free oil change and car wash before I sign the papers.
That's just multiple rounds of haggling.
Old 05-27-16, 06:48 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
See if you can do that, and someone else pays 4K more, and then someone else pays 4K less sticker whats the big reason for the push to go one price fits all type of deal in the car biz then?
There is none. From what I see the companies are only trying g to address 2 birds with one stone
1. Address the typical sales bs complains that have become so common place
2. Take this as an opportunity to restructure their cost structure.
Old 05-27-16, 07:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I test drive each model I'm going to consider, and when I decide what I want I thank them and let them know I'll be in touch. Like I said, I always email them and let them give me a quote, and usually once I have the best price I will give the guy who I test drove it with the opportunity to match it.

I NEVER negotiate a car purchase in person. No "talk to the manager" sit there for 5 hours BS. Very low stress and I can sit in my office and take the time I need to run the numbers, make sure I'm not getting hosed, etc.

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores